• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD FidelityFX And Radeon Image Sharpening Tested vs DLSS

Soldato
Does Ray tracing need to be enabled on Shadow of the Tomb Raider for DLSS to work? Because in them DLSS screenshots the image becomes to light it looks wrong!

@Grim5 also.
Is game, GPU, and resolution dependent unfortunately.

For SoTR :
DLSS helps the most when the GPU is under maximum load and is available for the following settings:
3840x2160: Ray Tracing On or Off: All RTX GPUs
2560x1440: Ray Tracing On: All RTX GPUs
2560x1440: Ray Tracing Off: RTX 2060 and 2070
1920x1080: Ray Tracing On: RTX 2060 and 2070

Battlefield 5

In all DLSS games released so far, the feature is locked down, preventing you from simply enabling it with any combination of settings or resolutions. In the case of Battlefield V, you must have DXR reflections enabled to enable DLSS, so there is no option to use DLSS without ray tracing. That’s already disappointing, because we feel most gamers should play with ray tracing switched off. So if you simply wanted to use DLSS to boost performance ray tracing aside, that is not possible.

But it’s locked down further, on a GPU by GPU basis. If you’re playing at 4K, all RTX cards can access DLSS. However if you’re a 1440p gamer, the option is only available for the RTX2080 and below. At 1080p, only the RTX 2060 and 2070can use DLSS. And there are similar limitations with Metro Exodus.

Metro Exodus
Like with Battlefield V, DLSS in Metro Exodus is locked down depending on the GPU you have, the resolution you’re playing at, and the quality settings. At 4K can use DLSS with either ray tracing on or off with the RTX 2070 and above, but this is the only resolution where you can use DLSS without ray tracing. At 1440p, you’ll need to switch ray tracing on to access DLSS, although it works with all RTX GPUs at this resolution. Then at 1080p, it has to be with ray tracing, but only the RTX 2060 and RTX 2070 are supported.

With these restrictions in place, you can’t use DLSS to boost performance up into high frame rates, for example a 2080 Ti owner can’t boost their 100+ FPS gameplay at 1440p up to 140 FPS with DLSS. Instead, it’s more for boosting 60 FPS gameplay or below, up to the 60 to 80 FPS range in most cases.

Soldato
tl;dw Reshade CAS = Radeon Image Sharpening, with a minor performance hit of 3% (1-2 fps).

Thats not what he said, as it is creating artefacts also. Navi native RIS was the best one of all options he said.

Can't people just use Nvidia Ansel with sharpening on that?

that being said DLSS is useless.

The Nvidia sharpening tool from the NV Experience settings, has the heaviest impact reducing the performance by more than 10% unfortunately.
And still doesn't look right either.

Soldato
Thats not what he said, as it is creating artefacts also. Navi native RIS was the best one of all options he said.

Why do you do this Panos? When anyone can look at the video for themselves.

8:33 "Seems like the reshade port of CAS is essentially the same as RIS from a visual perspective."

Soldato
Why do you do this Panos? When anyone can look at the video for themselves.

8:33 "Seems like the reshade port of CAS is essentially the same as RIS from a visual perspective."

Sigh, mea culpa. 4% performance hit on Nvidia cards, thats the difference making 2070S over the 5700XT complete pointless purchase though.

Last edited:
Soldato
RIS really does look like a decent effect, well done AMD. The fact it is open and can be ported for use in pretty much all games on all recent GPUs for a 2-4% performance hit is pure bonus.

LOL at DLSS and as someone with a RTX 2080 I found it a horrible feature.

RIS/CAS... it just works ;)

Soldato
RIS really does look like a decent effect, well done AMD. The fact it is open and can be ported for use in pretty much all games on all recent GPUs for a 2-4% performance hit is pure bonus.

Apparently yes, and with good results if activate the GPU Upscaling switch. (VSR is different option)

Soldato

:rolleyes:

I dare you to try RIS/CAS at 8K! Shame it will be absolutely unplayable with no 50% performance increase so it do not works.

DLSS looked amazing at 4K and 8K on Anthem and Monster Hunter World. :)

Soldato

Tbh as I am starting going through my games, RIS works great on new game engines with graphic heavy games, like Division 2, but not on the ancient graphic engine EU4 is using.
When I install Imperator & HOI4 which both using an up to date graphically Clausewitz engine, I will update this post. :)

Soldato
I would not actually recommend sharpening at 4K & above, the differences are simply too hard to discern without pixel peeping. It's good for when you drop resolution(/scale) though. The higher the resolution, the more difficult it is to see, even when using abusive blurry AA like FXAA+TAA. That's why people use adaptive sharpen & the like more there, but then you have to put up with its downsides (which I don't care for). These filters are really for lower resolutions imo.

Soldato
I watched video and pauses to compared RIS and Freestyle, Freestyle image quality seem better than RIS.

I had a quick watch.

IMO the one with the "best" sharpening is the one called Adaptive - I don't know which software that is though?

However I don't like any of them, I just prefer a native image thanks without the artifacts.

Back
Top Bottom