• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD FidelityFX And Radeon Image Sharpening Tested vs DLSS

Caporegime
@humbug You right this will fly under the radar you see what channels on Youtube are not hanging out of Nvidia back pocket. The guys showing this are the proper Youtube channels you should follow, If Nvidia released RIS the internet would be up in singing and dancing.

matter of a fact everything AMD does gets ignored by the mainstream press.

This is true and it's a real shame, Hardware Unboxed are one of few who are not in that camp.

Soldato
It look's like what Radeon Image Sharpening, without Proprietary Hardware Acceleration is doing what DLSS promises but fails to do.

To give you a quick example the image below, from Left to Right: Native 4K - 1800P with Radeon Image Sharpening - 4K with DLSS.

The 1800P Radeon Sharpened Image is actually sharper than the Native 4K image, both are much sharper than the 4K DLSS image.

You can see it throughout the Image but i've added a helpful arrow to highlight the least subtle part where you can see the differences.

I'm quite impressed with what will probably fly under the radar, it deserves some attention because nVidia made a huge song and dance about DLSS and it doesn't seem to work anything like as well as AMD's solution.

LvqGzmE.png

The RIS image is far better than DLSS and also even sharper than the 4K shot. The mistake AMD makes with many of their good technologies is lack of proper marketing and in this case, poor naming. If they called it something fancy rather than image sharpening then people would think it is some advanced image improvement tech.

Whatever DLSS is doing it's making the image blurry and it's worse than a native 1440P image. Why would anyone use it?

Soldato
The nice thing about FidelityFX is that it can be implemented by any developer, they don't have to use AMD as a middleman to get it working, liek what devs are required to do with DLSS.

Soldato
@humbug You right this will fly under the radar you see what channels on Youtube are not hanging out of Nvidia back pocket. The guys showing this are the proper Youtube channels you should follow, If Nvidia released RIS the internet would be up in singing and dancing.

matter of a fact everything AMD does gets ignored by the mainstream press.

So what you are saying is AMD is Donald Trump, gets ignored by the media while Nvidia is the Democrats and gets shilled for by the media?

:p

The RIS image is far better than DLSS and also even sharper than the 4K shot. The mistake AMD makes with many of their good technologies is lack of proper marketing and in this case, poor naming. If they called it something fancy rather than image sharpening then people would think it is some advanced image improvement tech.

Whatever DLSS is doing it's making the image blurry and it's worse than a native 1440P image. Why would anyone use it?

Has anyone tried using dlss and ris at the same time?

Soldato
Has anyone tried using dlss and ris at the same time?
You cannot, because RIS only works properly on Navi, and is not that CAS injector on the Reshade some like Poneros trying to pass to the people.

Saying that, @humbug, on RTX2080Ti the DLSS is better, however that proves an even worse scam by Nvidia that only their >£1000 can do DLSS properly, and the rest are just gimmicks for marketing.
Yet still even with 2080Ti 4K DLSS is still blurry removing texture details.
From February video, that went also under the radar.

Caporegime
You cannot, because RIS only works properly on Navi, and is not that CAS injector on the Reshade some like Poneros trying to pass to the people.

Saying that, @humbug, on RTX2080Ti the DLSS is better, however that proves an even worse scam by Nvidia that only their >£1000 can do DLSS properly, and the rest are just gimmicks for marketing.
Yet still even with 2080Ti 4K DLSS is still blurry removing texture details.
From February video, that went also under the radar.

Interesting thanks.

Soldato
OP
More comprehensive test, also with AA/Sharpening filter vs RIS vs DLSS.

https://www.tomshw.de/2019/07/14/ul...h-zwischen-amd-ris-nvidia-dlss-und-freestyle/

AMD's RIS is a pleasant surprise. The filter is excellent in design and taking into account the micro-contrast of the image, sharpening always gives a finer result than the competition. It is sometimes even amazing how AMD succeeds in offering such quality without spending millions on research and development. Cheap, but very efficient, hats off!

Soldato
AMD's RIS is a pleasant surprise. The filter is excellent in design and taking into account the micro-contrast of the image, sharpening always gives a finer result than the competition. It is sometimes even amazing how AMD succeeds in offering such quality without spending millions on research and development. Cheap, but very efficient, hats off!

And works with upscaling the image. Yet without much bruhaha from AMD about that part of the feature. NV could have named it with some catchy name for marketing purposes and everyone would have been "whoaa" :D
Seems the Asus XG438Q is my next monitor after all :D
Though before buying it need to put some roots on some country first, otherwise it will be impossible to haul around different countries....

Soldato
This makes DLSS look good for some reason.

It also makes RIS look terrible, take tht SoTTR screenshot for instance, once RIS is enabled the image is a total mess which aliased edges everywhere.

Do you mean the one in the video? That's because it was RIS without any AA. DLSS has its pros & cons, just like any of these solutions. It's not completely bad after all. Also, SotTR is probably the best scenario yet for it (or at least tied with FF XV), while BF V is the worst. So it's a give & take. Personally I can't deal with the oil painting effect & loss of detail, but if you're not very picky then it will look all right in motion & is generally more temporally stable. I think the one scenario where DLSS might be best is playing on a TV but far away from it. The motion improvements are still felt that far away but the down-sides are mitigated by the distance. Me, I sit very close to my TV so if I can't run without AA (e.g. in GTA V), then I'd rather have SMAA + LumaSharpen/CAS.

Soldato
There is a picture where they enable TAA with RIS, but then the image is blurry again - doesn't making the image blurry defeat the purpose of the sharpener? That's why I only considered the RIS image. Most games these days use TAA

Soldato
This makes DLSS look good for some reason.

It also makes RIS look terrible, take tht SoTTR screenshot for instance, once RIS is enabled the image is a total mess which aliased edges everywhere.

How? Don't you see the low textures? Don't forget these are zoomed in images not full screen.

There is a picture where they enable TAA with RIS, but then the image is blurry again - doesn't making the image blurry defeat the purpose of the sharpener? That's why I only considered the RIS image. Most games these days use TAA

Though you can always overwrite them with Wattman. As I do using SMAA 2x on everything. :D
Similarly majority of games today do not use AF16, again thank you Wattman!, since is doing great job on overwriting the settings. Something for 2 1/2 years failed to make the 1080 and 1080Ti to do properly as not always the custom profiles worked.

Soldato
I know, the fact that they use zoomed in images is it's own bag of worms. I personally find it misleading because no one sits 1 inch from their monitor or TV screen.

The BFV stuff looked alright - but looking again at the SoTTR images - they were either too blurry or too sharp and aliased. None of them looked perfect.

In saying that, I don't recall this game being blurry to my eyes when I played it with AA on. And that again highlights that zooming in on images is not realistic for the end user

Soldato
Soldato
I feel the best compromise to all the images was RIS with TAA. I would probably set that on all my games and be done as it gives to me the least compromise where certain areas in vegetation remain soft such as leaves on trees, but the bark has much more defined sharpness.

Sometimes softness is still needed and not always sharp like what happens with the other sharpening filters.

DLSS for me could work with a lot more tuning and time to do it right per game but that's the problem it relies on developers implementation and specific hardware at the high enthusiast level to work as expected.

Unlike that, it seems that RIS will work out box on any game and be able to be run of low level GPU onwards.

Soldato
My GOD!!! Both RIS and TAA looked horrible in Shadow of the Tomb Raider. TAA looked horrible in Battlefield V too, RIS has loss of details on bullets and Nvidia Freestyle put RIS to shame.

RIS are so horrible in PUBG.

Huh??? If you look at the uniform parts section. Compare 4K RIS to 4K DLSS. The DLSS is shocking with all detail removed and it is super soft.

The only time DLSS looks decent is foliage (if you if ore tree trunks and similar) because it softens stuff so much.

All the hard materials, bricks, timber etc is much better with greater texture detail from better sharpening contrast with RIS.

It is like you've gone out your way to try and say the opposite of what the image shows clearly.

Edit: should note that Nvidia sharpening looks bloody awful in everything and super grainy almost like a film grain filter to edging. So bad.

Soldato
My GOD!!! Both RIS and TAA looked horrible in Shadow of the Tomb Raider. TAA looked horrible in Battlefield V too, RIS has loss of details on bullets and Nvidia Freestyle put RIS to shame.

RIS are so horrible in PUBG.

LOL. It will be sad if you are not getting paid by Nvidia to troll us in this forums.
Are you blind? The image is zoomed in and RIS looks far superior to DLSS on those videos. In addition TAA can be overwritten with SMAA on AMD drivers with 100% success rate.
Contrary to Nvidia which is hit and miss (mostly miss) to make the custom profile overrides stick.

Back
Top Bottom