• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
@CAT-THE-FIFTH People have already forgotten about Mantle.

AMD put a lot of effort into developing the very API that forced the changes we are now seeing with DX12 and Vulkan, Vulkan being Mantle rebranded.

Despite the clear advantages it had over DX11, demonstrable and clearly demonstrable improvements and no one but the few of us "AMD fanboys" cared, even the tech press who have been winging about Microsoft's DirectX development stagnation for years completely dismissed it.

Credit where credit is due man, AMD put thier backs into it and changed the face of PC gaming for the better. And they are still doing it.

bru

bru

Soldato
Historically that has not been true, AMD has had the fastest cards while also being cheaper, it made little difference to the AMD - Nvidia sales ratio.

Most people want more competitive AMD cards so they can buy cheaper Nvidia cards, that's not conducive to AMD's bottom line.

Unfortunately you are correct, but what else can AMD do other than come out fighting with the best most relevant GPU available and then of course they have to stay ahead for a few generations, then and only then will the tide slowly turn in their favour.

Caporegime
Unfortunately you are correct, but what else can AMD do other than come out fighting with the best most relevant GPU available and then of course they have to stay ahead for a few generations, then and only then will the tide slowly turn in their favour.

Yes, try again, if AMD are competitive again this time round i hope it changes AMD's fortunes in this space because if it doesn't i fear they may just give up on us and that would be very bad news.
--------------------------

Ryan Shrout ran the same test, with the slowest compatible card he could find, the fastest CPU he had which he also overclocked to with in an inch of its life and then tested it in Single Player Campaign mode.

His inevitable conclusion was "Mantle doesn't do anything" AMD wrote to him and explained to him what Mantle was, how it worked and its purpose, instead of retesting with this new information he just went "Mhhheeeeee its all ********....."

He now creates slides for Intel demonstration how Intel Laptop CPU's are faster Gaming CPU's than Ryzen, in the small print you can see he's using faster GPU's with the Intel laptops, that's just one example of the many 'Misleading' slides he now creates for Intel.

Tim from Hardware Unboxed ran the same test, only he turned the settings and resolution down to such an extent the CPU was totally the bottleneck, and the FPS on the Ryzen laptop with the slower GPU where higher than on the Intel Laptop.

Soldato
@humbug I remember Mantle very well. I think some were trying to distance Vulkan and Mantle too. However,even when AMD/ATI did have some of the best GPUs,Nvidia still managed to sneak in sponsorships in some very popular titles.Hence my point about game sponsorships still stands,AMD should have at least tried to get onboard with Cyberpunk 2077,because W3 was huge too.

The problem,is even if AMD matches Ampere at the top in RT performance,Nvidia is working closely with CDPR anyway,so expect better performance out of the box. They are going to get priority,as part of the arrangement they have,and that is what I take from the console version(which uses RDNA2 and AMD RT) being pushed back to 2021. If RDNA2 was getting similar priority the next generation console version would be out this year. Why would CDPR care about RDNA2 this year,if Nvidia is throwing resources at them?? I hope I am wrong,but developers also are looking out for themselves.

Plus having a big Nvidia logo splashed on the title screen,how is that helping AMD? ATI understood this when they pulled out all the stops to get HL2 an ATI sponsored title(guess who did better in that title?). Nvidia learnt from that and did stuff such as TWIMTBP. AMD needs to pull its console wins in,to help advertise stuff on PC.

Also think how much must be spent on even taping out the GPUs,etc so surely getting onboard one of the most hyped releases in the last 5 years,would be a prudent use of their resources??

Last edited:
Associate
^That is the simple comment which got some here sprouting its a conspiracy. This is what exactly happned with W3. Nvidia literally released a driver months after launch for Kepler,and CDPR updated the game months after launch,with new settings. They literally delayed the game for 3 months,and implemented Gameworks features,two months prior to release.The tech press covered all of this.

Turing is running this game poorly just 4 months prior to launch,the proper console version is next year,and Nvidia is sponsoring the game. So what do you think is coming also this year.....Ampere. So the experts here think Ampere isn't being optimised for? Nvidia needs time to get drivers upto scratch,etc so they don't repeat the Turing launch. It's obviously a conspiracy!

So what are you all saying,a game sponsored by Nvidia is NOT going to run best on Ampere?? What a conspiracy that is! Just,wow,its right out there with the Lizard people!

Some of you are incredibly gullible,if you think game sponsorships don't exist for selling new GPUs. It shows a distinct lack of critical understanding,when people who worked for these programmes at AMD/Nvidia pretty much in their own CVs,etc say that is why they do it. Only hardware enthusiasts on tech forums,think it doesn't work that way.

Lots of people pointed out those things mentioned,the tech press confirmed it,yet it's quickly forgotten,and the same cycle happens again and again.

What I find funny is some of you do this all the time.....for years and years you keep saying conspiracy and yet the same things happen all the time. Then when it happens you all just deflect and ignore it happens and continue onwards. So you are trapped in your own echo chambers. I still remember people said that when the Titan was released,it would eventually mean AMD/Nvidia targetting higher and higher price points,pushing up midrange GPU price-points,etc. The response was it's a conspiracy,all rubbish. Yet it transpired.
+1 People love to use the 'conspiracy theory' tag to attempt to rubbish someone merely pointing out that business and how it operates serves to further the interest of the said business. You'd have to be 8 years old to believe some of the explanations Nvidia come up with to
justify or explain why they do things that 'coincidentally' give them a massive competitive advantage. Game sponsorship serves a purpose, Nvidia are not involved out of a sense of altruism.
Tessellated oceans lurking beneath a solid urban landscape or concrete barriers built with a billion triangles in the interest of crippling competitive products are believed to be
part of the normal development process. When such sharp practice is pointed out these toddlers cry 'stop the conspiracy theories' as if there is any rational explanation for such behaviour other than crippling the competition. Sometimes these forums seem like an idiot's convention
of those born yesterday who swallow whole any crap Nvidia or Intel and to a lesser extent AMD feed them.

Soldato
+1 People love to use the 'conspiracy theory' tag to attempt to rubbish someone merely pointing out that business and how it operates serves to further the interest of the said business. You'd have to be 8 years old to believe some of the explanations Nvidia come up with to
justify or explain why they do things that 'coincidentally' give them a massive competitive advantage. Game sponsorship serves a purpose, Nvidia are not involved out of a sense of altruism.
Tessellated oceans lurking beneath a solid urban landscape or concrete barriers built with a billion triangles in the interest of crippling competitive products are believed to be
part of the normal development process. When such sharp practice is pointed out these toddlers cry 'stop the conspiracy theories' as if there is any rational explanation for such behaviour other than crippling the competition. Sometimes these forums seem like an idiot's convention
of those born yesterday who swallow whole any crap Nvidia or Intel and to a lesser extent AMD feed them.

Agreed,since they think gaming and PC building is different from other areas,where companies use sponsorships,etc to similar effects. It's all the same kind of marketing,and money men who are involved everywhere.

It's why I have repeated so many times,AMD really needs to get onboard and sponsor more games! It does not matter if they make GPUs or CPUs as fast as the competiton,if the competition,ends up having better software integration of their features suiting their uarch,etc and AMD has to brute force things. If you have to brute force things,it means you need throw more computational power at things,ie,bigger GPUs,greater power consumption,more manufacturing costs,etc for equivalent performance. The worst aspect is AMD already has it's technology in the consoles,so developers already have to have people working on AMD products. They now have more money,so there should be less excuses.

Last edited:
Caporegime
@CAT-THE-FIFTH you're absolutely right about AMD needing to think much smarter about their sponsorship choices, their marketing still needs to improve full stop, and their drivers, the hardware is good but those Drivers AMD....
-----------

Anyway...

I can dig up the actual video if anyone wants it :)

c7oD0yQ.png

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Historically that has not been true, AMD has had the fastest cards while also being cheaper, it made little difference to the AMD - Nvidia sales ratio.

Most people want more competitive AMD cards so they can buy cheaper Nvidia cards, that's not conducive to AMD's bottom line.

Well put and does capture a lot of players. AMD could release a unicorn of a beast and some would bypass it ignorantly as they just stick to what they are used to. Benefits me as more AMD cards in stock should that happen! :)

Soldato
Well put and does capture a lot of players. AMD could release a unicorn of a beast and some would bypass it ignorantly as they just stick to what they are used to. Benefits me as more AMD cards in stock should that happen! :)

Can you give me a list of these GPUs that were faster and better than their Nvidia counterparts.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
The most plausible explanation for the delay is they they are timing the release to coincide with the next gen console releases.

When I tried to mention this, I was told it makes no sense, that this company was so legit and above board that they would never do such a thing... Yeah right, it is a business for god sakes, of course they would.

part of the normal development process.

Stop the conspiracy theories man. Nvidia would never do that! :p:D

Caporegime
Learn to read the comments you're quoting or stop blatantly trying to start arguments.

If OCUK had multiple quote's as default he would have done.

He's replying to the last post that contains the quote.

And he's damn right with what he's asking lol.
Ryzen has proven that mentality can change, but AMD has never had that sustained portfolio of products in the GPU market.

The only time AMD ever had a storming GPU at a low price was the 5870 and that was selling out quicker than it came in and supply was horrendous.

The 7970 kind of counts but it's not black and white, the GTX 680 was the cheaper and quicker product at one point for example

Last edited:
Soldato
Learn to read the comments you're quoting or stop blatantly trying to start arguments.

If you can't follow the conversation, I can't help you.

And he's damn right with what he's asking lol.

Exactly, how did he not follow the conversation? Even without multiple quotes, the posts are one after another. You don't even have to go back a page.

Soldato
I got the faster or cheaper cards I could at the time, nvidia. I used intel since core 2 duo, I now have an amd Ryzen.

proves Amd can change people’s buying habits IF they have good cheaper tech.

Soldato

If you can't follow the conversation, I can't help you.
Exactly, how did he not follow the conversation? Even without multiple quotes, the posts are one after another. You don't even have to go back a page.
lol OK, learn to quote correctly and we won't have any confusion then...:rolleyes:

Soldato
@CAT-THE-FIFTH
AMD put a lot of effort into developing the very API that forced the changes we are now seeing with DX12 and Vulkan, Vulkan being Mantle rebranded.

That was because they needed it due to their GPUs and CPUs. At the time, the "huge" performance gains were all on AMD (in select scenarios), nVIDIA was doing it in drivers, so it was easier to code the nVIDIA way. Not at a surprise, Mantle games were just a few. :)

Soldato
That was because they needed it due to their GPUs and CPUs. At the time, the "huge" performance gains were all on AMD (in select scenarios), nVIDIA was doing it in drivers, so it was easier to code the nVIDIA way. Not at a surprise, Mantle games were just a few. :)

This isn't facts but what I believe the focus of Mantle.

All these companies have a focus of developing for the next 10+ years. Navi for example would have been on AMD's Road map way before it was even announced publicly.

Same with the console deals amd knew this years ago they would be developing for the current at the time and next gen.

Now what was missing? An API that could bring them all closer together hence Mantle was born, if you look back at mantle early days amd slides where all over this. I bet 100% at this time amd knew the focus for Ryzen and navi and the consoles.

This brings me to big Navi and next gen this will be the big build up that AMD has been playing for a least 10 years in the making.

Mantle changed the pc space for the good, it died to be reborn as Vulkan but also forced Microsoft to bring in direct 12 again no prove of this but I believe the shift wasn't made because of Mantle but more get more development on DX12 before next generation xbox is released.

Here is a funny question if it wasn't for mantle would we have Ray tracing? RT needs DX12/Vulkan

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom