• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Can you give me a list of these GPUs that were faster and better than their Nvidia counterparts.

He's replying to the last post that contains the quote...
The 7970 kind of counts but it's not black and white, the GTX 680 was the cheaper and quicker product at one point for example

I had a 7990. It came with a PSU that was worth £100 in the bundle.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
So people would rather pay more for a 2+ year old card than get the same level of performance from a brand new card with 3 years of warranty. Because Nvidia.
Yea, I don’t get it either, yet it keeps happening. Just look on members market. To me the 1080Ti right now should be listed at around £250-£300, yet they sell for more than a brand new 5700XT.

Soldato
The only time AMD ever had a storming GPU at a low price was the 5870 and that was selling out quicker than it came in and supply was horrendous.

The 7970 kind of counts but it's not black and white, the GTX 680 was the cheaper and quicker product at one point for example

The 5870 was king because it had nothing to compete with. Nvidia had made a complete mess of first generation Fermi, it was 6 months late and very power hungry.

The 7970 Ghz edition eventually became faster than the 680. When AMD released the performance driver later in that year the 7970 was the go to card without question.

I had a 7990. It came with a PSU that was worth £100 in the bundle.

the 7990? Wasn't the GTX 690 faster and more power efficient?

9700 Pro
9800 XT
X800 XT PE
X1950 XTX
4870 was faster than other GPUs at the price point but the 280 was faster overall.
290X

The first four are from ATI, not AMD. But even at that, the only clear winner was the 9700 pro. For the other 3 the performance between them and their Nvidia counterparts was basically a wash. And that's reflected in the market share at the time with both companies pretty evenly split.

The HD 4000 series was good but short lived. And as you say wasn't the fastest either. Where AMD's "Bang for Buck" started.

HD 5870 - for me this is one of AMD's best cards ever. Helped by Nvidia's mistakes, it had market dominance for 6 months and even after Nvidia released the 400 series cards it still sold well.

7970. Released at too high of price and too low of performance. It only became faster than the 680 when they released the GHz edition and got the drivers optimised.

290x. Plagued by launch problems with black screens and terrible reference cooler. A couple of weeks after Nvidia released the 780Ti which was faster. When the custom cards were launched these problems went away and performance improved. With constant driver improvements the 290x became even faster than the 780Ti, but, by then Nvidia had the 900 series cards out.

You didn't include any of the Polaris cards in your list? These were the cards I was expecting people to name when I asked the question. Even with a messed up launch because of power issues and the higher than expect price these were good cards. The 580/570 cards had no issues at all and sold well, even winning market share. The only situation where the 1060 was better than the 580 was in VR performance.

Navi is decent, no support for DX 12 is a killer but they are still decent cards. If they can improve on these with the RDNA 2 cards and release them without any issues then that's a good step in the right direction to changing mindshare.

Soldato
Yea, I don’t get it either, yet it keeps happening. Just look on members market. To me the 1080Ti right now should be listed at around £250-£300, yet they sell for more than a brand new 5700XT.

Complete madness!! If I had to pick between the two I would buy a 5700XT even if the 1080Ti was priced less than £300.

But, I wouldn't buy any of them at this stage, wouldn't buy a 2070 Super either.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Complete madness!! If I had to pick between the two I would buy a 5700XT even if the 1080Ti was priced less than £300.

But, I wouldn't buy any of them at this stage, wouldn't buy a 2070 Super either.
+1

New stuff around the corner now, price for performance is bound to improve. I was surprised when humbug waited all that time and then went for a 5700XT recently to be honest :p

As you already know I have my eye on a RTX 3070 ;)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I think you mentioned it one or two times ;)

Not even going to give AMD a chance? This is not the thread you are looking for. :p:D
Well you never know. I just picked up a Freesync 2 monitor on members market, though it is for my partner, I will be giving it a go. I will have another go at dropping down from 2160p to 1440p. If I am able I may just keep that one and give her my 4K screen. I can always swap them around when I fancy.

Soldato
Well you never know. I just picked up a Freesync 2 monitor on members market, though it is for my partner, I will be giving it a go. I will have another go at dropping down from 2160p to 1440p. If I am able I may just keep that one and give her my 4K screen. I can always swap them around when I fancy.

Keep both, everyone needs a dual screen setup!! Give her some 1080P piece of junk ;)

EDIT: What freesync monitor?

EDIT 2: Might as well turn both speculation threads into Monitor discussion threads :p:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom