• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Ahh yes my bad I did miss a fair bit. Did think to myself am I missing something, which usually becomes the case with me :o.

Looks a quality monitor to be fair. Just got to hope after testing 165hz butterness, it doesn’t have you wanting one as well :p.
Yea, lets see how it goes. I am open to downgrading if I can deal with the drop in image quality :)

Soldato

It has more implications as Diablo 4 and Overwatch 2 are probably out in the next year or two,and their predecessors sold over 60 million copies. So getting their foot in the door with Activision Blizzard is no small feat,as they already had a deal going with Warcraft 3: Reforged recently,and AMD GPUs actually had quite competitive performance(compared to Nvidia). In the past Blizzard titles tended to work much better on Nvidia GPUs,which kind of biased a lot of people to buy Nvidia GPUs for them. WoW itself has a frequent playerbase in the millions.It's what they need to do to actually sway more people to buy AMD products.

So this is part of the problem,even if reviews show AMD GPUs with competitive performance,the problem is if they lose in games which generally have larger playerbases and more important persistent ones. This is partly the reason I think Nvidia keeps outselling AMD in certain aspects too. Is it any fluke,that ATI beat Nvidia in games such as HL2,and that the following X800 series actually outsold Nvidia?? ATI had mediocre mindshare before that.Technically the X800 series was inferior to the 6800 series(lack of DX9 SM3.0 support).

Last edited:
Soldato
It has more implications as Diablo 4 and Overwatch 2 are probably out in the next year or two,and their predecessors sold over 60 million copies. So getting their foot in the door with Activision Blizzard is no small feat,as they already had a deal going with Warcraft 3: Reforged recently,and AMD GPUs actually had quite competitive performance(compared to Nvidia). In the past Blizzard titles tended to work much better on Nvidia GPUs,which kind of biased a lot of people to buy Nvidia GPUs for them. WoW itself has a frequent playerbase in the millions.It's what they need to do to actually sway more people to buy AMD products.

So this is part of the problem,even if reviews show AMD GPUs with competitive performance,the problem is if they lose in games which generally have larger playerbases and more important persistent ones. This is partly the reason I think Nvidia keeps outselling AMD in certain aspects too. Is it any fluke,that ATI beat Nvidia in games such as HL2,and that the following X800 series actually outsold Nvidia?? ATI had mediocre mindshare before that.Technically the X800 series was inferior to the 6800 series(lack of DX9 SM3.0 support).

First, they need to work with developers so that their games work at full performance right out of the gate not months later.

Second, Don't you think the x800 sold well was because ATI had two very launches with the 9700 and 9800 series cards where their cards were top dog. And Nvidia had completely messed up the FX series of GPUs.

So the X800 cards followed the most successful ATI GPUs ever and the possibly the worst Nvidia GPU ever.

So, seriously which do you think had more effect on mindshare back then? Do you think if the situation was reversed, and ATI's previous card was terrible but Nvidia previous two cards were amazing cards, that the X800 would have sold as well?

AMD getting more developers is great. But, it will make very little difference to mindshare if their GPUs aren't good. And good for a couple of generations without messing up launches.

Caporegime
They could always go the full hog and do a subscription tier service with up-selling on other products. This is where you're no longer allowed to buy them outright and merely own the license to run the hardware, any tampering not part of say an excessively expensive overclocking subscription would void your relationship with the company. Maybe even find a way to add micro-transactions and gambling into the ecosystem.

:)

Soldato
They could always go the full hog and do a subscription tier service with up-selling on other products. This is where you're no longer allowed to buy them outright and merely own the license to run the hardware, any tampering not part of say an excessively expensive overclocking subscription would void your relationship with the company. Maybe even find a way to add micro-transactions and gambling into the ecosystem.

You joke, but with how things have been in other industries it won't take long till one of these semi conductor companies decides to give it a try.

Soldato

When you wanted to overclock you would have to use a custom version of afterburner which required you to pay 5 pounds for a random OC. If it were unstable tough luck, pay 5 and try again :p

Soldato

IIRC,JHH joked about a subscription service at the Turing launch??

Caporegime
Sky already do this - nobody owns a Sky-Q box, even if they still charge £200 for the privilege of housing one in your home. And of course you still have to pay the monthly sub...

lolSky.

But if people are prepared to pay thousands a year for a Sky sub, I'm sure they'd pay the same for a gaming sub..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom