1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Gregster, Nov 8, 2019.

1. b00merang69

Mobster

:D

2. Grim5

Mobster

He's still trying to prove that AMD supposedly has better image quality. I don't expect to hear from him for a while

3. Troezar

Mobster

It shouldn't be hard to prove or disprove. Surprised none of the Techtubers have done it. Two identical systems side by side different GPU in each. Do a random "which looks best to you?" test. One for Linus I think...

4. Dirk Diggler

Capodecina

We've heard this Nvidia killer line for a while now. I applaud the inroads AMD have made with CPUs, but they only way they're going to be killing Nvidia GPUs is if they start manufacturing PSUs.

5. Spyhop

Soldato

Makes me think of TVs on display in high street shops. Colour vibrancy artificially cranked up to maximum = fools the brain into thinking it's better.

6. Phixsator

Mobster

Tech Yes city has done it, if that is a youtuber you have faith in. I personally do not.

7. greatash

Hitman

its down to nvidia having limited RGB setting out of the box default instead of full rgb for some reason. my last card was a gtx 980 which I upgraded from a 7950 and noticed the colors was washed out... then I checked the settings and RGB was on limited by default.

I bet alot of non technical people have it on limited and dont even notice

8. Jacky60

Gangster

Lol, probably true!

9. Troezar

Mobster

In this instance better is subjective, some people like or want colour accuracy, others want vibrancy. Then there is individual perception of colour, which varies. I prefer the way AMD handles it for games, YMMV.

10. 0h_no_not_again

Gangster

Agreed.

My main annoyance with Tensor cores is that there was an increase in transistor count for RTX gen cards with knock-on die size increase, which comes at greater than linear cost increase. NVidia passed that cost increase on to the consumer, but for 99% of users, that cost increase rendered no performance benefit. NVidia are essentially experimenting at the cost of the consumer, which is a bit poor IMHO.

For proof look at the transistor counts of 1080ti vs. RTX 2080 and the relative performance.

Give me more CODA cores or a cheaper card, not a "feature" that does not render me a benefit.

In terms of technology, the theoretical performance of tensor cores is astonishing!

11. loftie

Hitman

Love it, but if it fails to work probably then there may be some memes....

12. Freddie1980

Soldato

Argh those TV displays with the same demo showing a slow moving hot air balloon move across the screen or playing a cartoon. The acid test for a TV should be live fast pace sports like football.

13. Poneros

Mobster

Big Navi HBM2e? Oh my, this decade is starting off in a great way!
    [​IMG]

14. LePhuronn

Mobster

I think it was fairly obvious that a 80CU Navi monster would need HBM just to keep the total board power at acceptable levels; GDDR6 is a bit hungry. 24GB is surprising though (unless this 5950XT is aimed at the RTX Titan).

Although I do still have a twitch in my waters that this 80CU beast is still RDNA 1, albeit a fixed RDNA 1, and all the refreshes are going to be using the fixed version too. GPU core power comes down allowing the clocks to come up a bit. Or maybe the lower GPU power allows for faster GDDR6 within the same TBP.

15. Grim5

Mobster

Phil Spencer just released the specs for the Xbox One Series X

[​IMG]

16. melmac

Soldato

Sounds good.

17. Steedie

Man of Honour

I know the design is marmite but I bloody love that

18. Zernath

Hitman

It looks like one of those small form factor gaming PCs. I may have to pick one up, if the pricing isn't too insane. My friends will never make the switch to PC gaming in any case. :(

19. LoadsaMoney

Caporegime

[​IMG]

:p

20. Rroff

Man of Honour

Something that surprises me lately is how many of the younger generation are looking to move away from console to PC gaming - especially games like The Witcher 3 for some reason seem to be causing it - suddenly I'm hearing a lot from that generation at work how graphics are better on the PC when in the past they used to play that down and tout the PS4, etc.