• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
QuizzicalUselessShelgon

Man of Honour
Seems a bit suspect to me - though the AMD CPU string in Performance can be verbose the GPU one on AMD often uses shorter product designations, usually has the (TM) in there though I've seen cases where it doesn't, and doesn't usually have things like Liquid Cooled in the string.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
just over a week before amd said we'd hear stuff as for what that stuff will be who knows, could just be xbox rubbish for now and no actual desktop parts, or like nvidias done in the past and show off some compute thing which is aimed at AI stuff. who knows.

Soldato
Just going with it rather than saying it's nonsensical garbage from wccftech, one would assume 24GB really only makes sense for workstation - I can't see the need to go that high (especially with the cost of HBM 2) for even 4k gaming cards at the moment?

Associate
I don't doubt necessarily that there will be a 24GB HBM2e 80CU card coming out soon. But the chances of it being for consumers appears to be virtually nil.

Why on earth would you put 24GB of extremely costly memory on a consumer card? You wouldn't.

This has to be Arcturus, the next evolution of GCN (whether it'll be called GCN we don't know).

Navi / RDNA have demonstrated far less memory bandwidth constrained performance than any of the GCN cards, particularly the latter ones.

Unless RDNA2 & the shift to 7nmEUV means they've extracted enormous performance uplift over Navi (read double or more per CU), there would be absolutely no rhyme or reason for doing this. IMO it could easily go up 50%, as Navi / RDNA1 was the pipe cleaner, and 7nmEUV should bring some significantly higher clocks. But double? Come on.

Unless their RT implementation needs masses of memory bandwidth .. but again, that seems pretty unlikely.

Soldato
I don't doubt necessarily that there will be a 24GB HBM2e 80CU card coming out soon. But the chances of it being for consumers appears to be virtually nil.

Why on earth would you put 24GB of extremely costly memory on a consumer card? You wouldn't.

This has to be Arcturus, the next evolution of GCN (whether it'll be called GCN we don't know).

Navi / RDNA have demonstrated far less memory bandwidth constrained performance than any of the GCN cards, particularly the latter ones.

Unless RDNA2 & the shift to 7nmEUV means they've extracted enormous performance uplift over Navi (read double or more per CU), there would be absolutely no rhyme or reason for doing this. IMO it could easily go up 50%, as Navi / RDNA1 was the pipe cleaner, and 7nmEUV should bring some significantly higher clocks. But double? Come on.

Unless their RT implementation needs masses of memory bandwidth .. but again, that seems pretty unlikely.

to put it into perspective 24GB of HBM2 plus the interposer will set you back about $400usd for wholesale pricing in 2020. I'm trying to have some leeway here, the actual price is $480usd but that is taken from 1 year ago so I gave benefit of the doubt it's gone a bit down since then but who knows it may even have gone up.

That sort of production cost is not for a consumer card. If people thought the 2080ti retail price was expensive wait till you see the pricing for this thing

Last edited:

GAC

GAC

Soldato
more and more i feel the big news in march is for some workstation/AI card oh well even longer in the doldrums i guess for amd at the consumer level.

Caporegime
more and more i feel the big news in march is for some workstation/AI card oh well even longer in the doldrums i guess for amd at the consumer level.

Both AMD and Nvidia will be announcing their next HPC/AI/DL card first, and some time later in the year will be something gaming related.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
Both AMD and Nvidia will be announcing their next HPC/AI/DL card first, and some time later in the year will be something gaming related.

seems that way, and with the 12 terraflops of POWAAH!! on the new xbox seems they may finally be able to be a bit closer on the desktop with slightly higher clock speeds due to better cooling and power availability or id expect them to at least. still get the feeling they will be hitting 3070 speeds when everything's launched later this year which i guess its a step forward at least.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
If 24GB HBM2 + interposer is $480 then AMD could slide this monster in at $1,600, demolish the RTX Titan and still get the 45% margin Lisa Su wants.
End of the day if they can take number 1 spot like the Titan RTX, they can charge silly moneys for it. But that is not what I am interested in, though I really want to see as it will help. I want them to bring out 2080Ti performance for £500 or less.

Soldato
Personally, if it's not official I don't trust the info (and maybe not even then in certain matters). Rumours/leaks/etc I treat merely as gossip - purely for entertainment. It's just fun to speculate, because I'd love to see a HBM2(e) big Navi. I almost went for Radeon VII tho in the end it wasn't powerful enough, but the 16 GB of vram was a big selling point for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom