• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Radeon R9 290X with Hawaii GPU pictured, has 512-bit 4GB Memory

Soldato
More than we got from AMD -.-

Very true I watched that whole press conference and got nothing :(

I'm a bit disappointing that it's been suggested the new 290x is going to be around £500 as this is to rich for me.

Hopefully I can pick one up for £400 with bf4 and I would be happy if not I'm waiting for 20nm.

Associate
so..after watching that amd "we give no info at all" conference about AUDIO,seems that amd not only failed to make some performance leap,but also barely touching NV's current gpus's...and i was ready spend ~400ish for new card..i guess second 7950 will do much better than new 290X
very disappointed so far,of course all can change after real cards come to shop's and we can see real tests,but main indication was that amd didnt brag how they cards beating NV's offers during that conference and that gives little perspective
no doubt amd will lose lots of customers to green camp..
anybody looking for 7950 LOL ?

Associate
So the prices and structure are very similar to Nvidia 7XX this round, AMD launching quite a few months later as well, I did expect AMD to beat Nvidia in a big way either on performance or 'price VS performance'. All the info so far suggests similar performance, similar price. Not that impressive tbh. Def no reason to switch from a 780 so far. Roll on 20nm..

Yeah same. Going to stick with my gtx780 and wait it out for 20nm.

Soldato
so..after watching that amd "we give no info at all" conference about AUDIO,seems that amd not only failed to make some performance leap,but also barely touching NV's current gpus's...and i was ready spend ~400ish for new card..i guess second 7950 will do much better than new 290X
very disappointed so far,of course all can change after real cards come to shop's and we can see real tests,but main indication was that amd didnt brag how they cards beating NV's offers during that conference and that gives little perspective
no doubt amd will lose lots of customers to green camp..
anybody looking for 7950 LOL ?

28nm is 28nm.
the risk anyone buying Nvidia is that if Mantle changes the gaming landscape your card will be pretty much obselete and not even 20nm will save Nvidia there. I dont play many games so for me the Mantle api will work just fine and if there is a game with DX so be it as my current card works just fine for me.

The Mantle might be such a gamechanger so there is no option unless you want to run the DX path which still is working but wont offer the boost.
I foresee a ton of people going amd radeon 290 down the road if they play for example BF4 a lot.

Soldato
Those clocks on you're 780 are amazing :eek: That cooler must be incredible!

Reapplied the TIM with some gelid extreme and it idles at 25 degrees and tops out at around 60 on my custom fan profile in most games. Hit's 69 max in heaven at those clocks which is at 1.24 volts.

I've hit higher clocks for benching runs but those are my 24/7 clocks ;) Will be posting a Valley run at >1400mhz when I get back.

Associate
I have x2 780s with XSPC waterblocks and my temps are idle 26c and load 55c both cards on the same loop as the cpu @ 4.5 but my cards max out at boost 1083 and ram 1553 both cards have Samsung ram and I ran the volts at + 38 and power target 106%

The ASIC is 70.1 and 61.5 on my cards so I guess they are just bad clockers.

Associate
Mantle MIGHT be change,but then again if it supports only one company,it wont be - many examples already
And with amd reluctance and poor programmers they have, i doubt they have man power to make Mantle what they advertising it to be,so take all with pinch of salt - if you think Nv will just look how amd trying to make more than them,you wrong
Not many ppl will switch to new gpus for sake of 1 game,when older cards will do the same basically - it will be cheaper to get X1 or PS4 for that price,even tho FPS should be played on PC,but then again sales not laying
I am very much doubt Mantle will make such big difference - we had soooo many promises from amd...why they couldnt show Mantle at that AUDIO press conference? December isnt to far,they deffo should have it at least on Beta atm
If amd really show some performance gains with Mantel,there will be some app from Nvidia also,if they not working on it now ( iwont be surprised),so i wont be worried about those things
If you can get faster gpu for same price,why would you buy slower one ? Green,red - doesnt matter,what matter is what you can get for ya money - and im always trying to get best deal possible for that moment,and at this point looks like GTX780 is best card,it might change of course (and i wish it would) but atm it is how it is.
No change for me to new gpu's,at least not how it all looks now,and if prices is ~500 for 290X,i might just even skip this gen and wait for 20nm

Last edited:
Soldato
AMD must know that AMD users prefer a bit lube.

Even speculating if its just around 780 performance at 780 price its pushing it :(

Does'nt look that way though does it?

As things stand, it looks like this card will beat a Titan at higher resolution and will be just under a titan at 1080p, for £499 vs. £780. I don't really mind paying the extra for the Titan but after sinking in the best part of £2.5k, running three of these cards with a hacked BIOS and out of warranty does not excite me.

Gibbo says the new card won't beat a 7990, which is around 30% quicker than a Titan in some scenarios so that does not give much away.

If you have 3 monitors or are going to go 4k, the 290x will be the card to have as it has memory bandwidth to burn.

Nvidia just need to stick 8GB of 512-bit RAM onto the Titan, call it the Titan Ultra and bada bing, they leapfrog.

Also, you won't invalidate your warranty by running 1.3v through the 290x, unlike the volt modded 780/Titans.

If you are running under water, the wild card in this will be the 780 Classified, at £560inc - but there are no blocks out there other than the naff EVGA ones, EK said they would produce them but its all quiet on that front as the lightning ones are coming first.

Last edited:
Associate
it looks so cheap even the ventilator is made of plastic lol

what's the point of releasing 28nm card which is only incrementally faster when NVidia will be moving to even better tech in several months and will overtake amd again. its seems amd were playing catch up all this team. I only see NVidia with clear vision of the future. amd is going to stick with these cards for next year while NVidia is going to leapfrog them again pretty soon. oh wait I already said that lol

Soldato
28nm is 28nm.
the risk anyone buying Nvidia is that if Mantle changes the gaming landscape your card will be pretty much obselete and not even 20nm will save Nvidia there. I dont play many games so for me the Mantle api will work just fine and if there is a game with DX so be it as my current card works just fine for me.

The Mantle might be such a gamechanger so there is no option unless you want to run the DX path which still is working but wont offer the boost.
I foresee a ton of people going amd radeon 290 down the road if they play for example BF4 a lot.

I doubt Mantle will be that much of a 'gamechanger', in terms of suddenly making Nvidia's cards obsolete. Valve's SteamOS and Linux gaming with OpenGL could be a more progressive alternative, one that Nvidia will be pushing hard towards.

Mantle could be good, but it may take a long time for more developers than Dice to take advantage of. By that time SteamOS may have already taken hold..

Soldato
what's the point of releasing 28nm card which is only incrementally faster when NVidia will be moving to even better tech in several months and will overtake amd again. its seems amd were playing catch up all this team. I only see NVidia with clear vision of the future. amd is going to stick with these cards for next year while NVidia is going to leapfrog them again pretty soon. oh wait I already said that lol

Both companies are putting out 20nm offerings in 2014. Both the current gen of Nvidia (780) and AMD (Hawaii) are stop-gap offerings. The 20nm cards from both teams may launch closer together than people are assuming.

Back
Top Bottom