• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Radeon R9 290X with Hawaii GPU pictured, has 512-bit 4GB Memory

Soldato
16x VRAM IC's on the PCB definately indicates a 512bit bus. Memory bandwidth isn't everything (after all the GTX680 competes well vs the 7970 with only a 256bit bus), but this could be a pretty fast card.

Caporegime
What is the shelf life of these going to be though? Rumours are that 20nm and maxwell could be released Q1/Q2 2014 and that the new process will show significant gains.

I would hate to spend £500 on one of these only for it to be hideously obsolete by the middle of next year.

It looks like it will match or beat 780's/Titans but i feel it is a little bit late to the party.

Caporegime
I would hate to spend £500 on one of these only for it to be hideously obsolete by the middle of next year./QUOTE]

If the price you pay is within your budget, and it does what is required of it, who cares if it isn't the latest and greatest? :)

Caporegime
If the price you pay is within your budget, and it does what is required of it, who cares if it isn't the latest and greatest? :)

No doubt, but there are just plenty of rumours of maxwell being released Q1 2014 which would personally make me think twice before dropping ~£500 on a graphics card in October that could be obsolete in less than 6 months time. Everyone has different finances/priorities though so this is just my feelings on it.

This is all just conjecture ofcourse, we all wont know anything till Wednesday :p. AMD might release a titan killer for £350 and then we will all be laughing.

Soldato
is Maxwell going to be that much quicker ? or just that much more efficient ?

I think I saw a slide on the web showing substantial performance increase - but was performance per watt - not overall performance I think ?

Soldato
The card's likely to be £400 ish I think, to really upset nvidia.

If the card can outperform a Titan (even by a small amount), it's going to be brilliant. It's going to outperform a 780 at least, it wouldn't be worth AMD's time otherwise. Plus add on the binned overclocked models with custom coolers...

Soldato
No doubt, but there are just plenty of rumours of maxwell being released Q1 2014 which would personally make me think twice before dropping ~£500 on a graphics card in October that could be obsolete in less than 6 months time. Everyone has different finances/priorities though so this is just my feelings on it.
The things is...we've seen many times before companies using "new product coming soon" strategy/sham to try to stall the sales of competitors' product far too many time...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I have not seen anything in this thread that shows the new card is going to beat a GTX 780 or Titan.

And as to what 8 Pack said earlier

Remember his 4 GTX 680s can beat 4 Titans by a few percent lol.

Here is a prediction though, the new AMD card when overclocked will score around 1523 on the Heaven 4 bench.

Lets see how close I am.:D

Soldato
is Maxwell going to be that much quicker ? or just that much more efficient ?

I think I saw a slide on the web showing substantial performance increase - but was performance per watt - not overall performance I think ?

20nm shrink, double the transistors, so both camps will benefit from it.
only real way to increase performance (double) is a die shrink.
if a 290x slightly oc beats a Titan I call that well done.

Man of Honour
From what we suspect now, is it looking like the 7970's and 7950's are the bargain basement pricing today of £170 to £230 are worth going for it or is it likely that something better will be released for the same price point? I appreciate no-one really knows for sure.

Soldato
From what we suspect now, is it looking like the 7970's and 7950's are the bargain basement pricing today of £170 to £230 are worth going for it or is it likely that something better will be released for the same price point? I appreciate no-one really knows for sure.

Or click on the MM and get them even cheaper.... the new ATI cards if they are better and 4gb/512bit then you can bet the members market will be full of older ATI and Nvidia cards :)

Soldato
Lets hope they don't **** it up and get greedy like they did with the 7900 launch. Still bitter over that, which is why I might go green on my next upgrade for the first time in 8 years.

Back
Top Bottom