• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD RDNA3 unveiling event

Caporegime
AMD complained, publicly, those were being sold at cost.
If that is true, you can't do that, that's how you make yourself bankrupt.

It was either sell them or have nothing to sell in that range of the gpu market which would have set alarm bells ringing, somehow i doubt they didn't make anything on them. Thankfully those days are gone.

Soldato
-------------

For AMD to sell 7900XT's for $499, this also means selling the 7900XTX for $699, the 7800XT for $399, the 7700XT for $299 and the 7600XT for $199...... they would have to see a huge shift in their marketshare, one that would actually hurt Nvidia significantly, or the only ones feeling the pain would be AMD.

If it doesn't matter if they're out or not from the GPU business (at least as dedicated cards), why would AMD feel the pain? Just sell for minimum profit. Thing is... from how the acted in the past, even if the 7900xt would be a couple of hundred dollars to make, they would still sell it for $6-$700.

Anyway, if they don't want to make money from the GPU business, good thing they've bought ATI back in the day to bring it down :D

Last edited:
Soldato
The ones that AMD liked were the RX 480, later re-branded the RX 580 and 590, they could sell those cheaply because they were cheap to make and people liked them, they sold a lot of them despite them being very basic cards, they just did the job people needed them to at a good price.

That was $239 MSRP. They kinda need to do that again.

Last edited:
Caporegime
If it doesn't matter if they're out or not from the GPU business (at least as dedicated cards), why would AMD feel the pain? Just sell for minimum profit. Thing is... from how the acted in the past, even if the 7900xt would be a couple of hundred dollars to make, they would still sell it for $6-$700.

Anyway, if they don't want to make money from the GPU business, good thing they've bought ATI back in the day to bring it down :D

The X86 side of the business is selling everything they make, they cannot make enough of it, if they made more it would sell out too.

With that in mind the sort of GPU prices you're talking about anything on the X86 side makes more profit, and if they are having to sell 3X as many GPU's at £500 than they would at $900 to make up the difference they are also taking that much capacity away from the more profitable X86 Business which they already want and need more of.

ATI was on the brink of going bust.

Soldato
The X86 side of the business is selling everything they make, they cannot make enough of it, if they made more it would sell out too.

With that in mind the sort of GPU prices you're talking about anything on the X86 side makes more profit, and if they are having to sell 3X as many GPU's at £500 than they would at $900 to make up the difference they are also taking that much capacity away from the more profitable X86 Business which they already want and need more of.

ATI was on the brink of going bust.
If they sell easily what they make, why the lower prices?

Caporegime
That was $239MSRP. They kinda need to do that again.

I would argue right now the RX 6650XT is it, the only thing i can say is idiotic reviewers spend far too much time on AMD's failings to even notice the good things right in front of their eyes and Nvidia's mindshare with RTX and DLSS is now impeachable, plus tech tubers fear them.

Last edited:
Soldato
The card that is close enough to the RX480 is the 7800XT but if it launches for $500 I will eat my hat. $799 seems more likely?

The 7700XT will be cheaper of course but its probably going to be slower than a 6650XT ?

Soldato
AMD releases new slides to promote rdna2 to buyers focused on value

The slide also happens to show AMD admitting rdna3 is only 29% faster than rdna2, those 50-70% claims have disappeared

Last edited:
Associate
AMD releases new slides to promote rdna2 to buyers focused on value

The slide also happens to show AMD admitting rdna3 is only 29% faster than rdna3, those 50-70% claims have disappeared

Yes. Struggling to see where the 7800xt will fit in here. I may still bag a 7900xtx in a years time if prices drop considerably but really now thinking to just sit on my 6800, especially as I am only 1440p

Ordered myself a steam deck for the meantime.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yes. Struggling to see where the 7800xt will fit in here. I may still bag a 7900xtx in a years time if prices drop considerably but really now thinking to just sit on my 6800, especially as I am only 1440p

The fact that AMD released these slide with RDNA2 on them suggests to me at least that for now and perhaps for 2023 this is what we have.

When you consider that Nvidia are now charging more for less performance, the 4080 is 52% faster than the MSRP 3080 for 72% more money... and the 3080 hanging around the £800 mark again, the 6800XT at least is not an unreasonable price at £600.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The fact that AMD released these slide with RDNA2 on them suggests to me at least that for now and perhaps for 2023 this is what we have.

When you consider that Nvidia are now charging more for less performance, the 4080 is 52% faster than the 3080 for 72% more money... and the 3080 hanging around the £800 mark again, the 6800XT at least is not an unreasonable price at £600.

There was a rumour floating around a few tech sites a day or 2 back that any refreshes for rdna 3 had been cancelled, so maybe this is it for the rdna 3 line-up if true. Though as usual likely to be bs.

Last edited:
Caporegime
There was a rumour floating around a few tech sites a day or 2 back that any refreshes for rdna 3 had been cancelled, so maybe this is it for the rdna 3 line-up if true. Though as usual likely to be bs.

I would not be surprised if this really is it, i'm not going to go through it all again but the 7800XT as we understand it is at best the same performance as a 6800XT, we already have one of those, lets just stick with it. Its a good card.

AMD may fix the problems in RDNA3 and retape them for the 2024 product line.

Last edited:
Caporegime

When you consider that Nvidia are now charging more for less performance, the 4080 is 52% faster than the MSRP 3080 for 72% more money... and the 3080 hanging around the £800 mark again, the 6800XT at least is not an unreasonable price at £600.

It's all stock dependant though.

Can't see stock levels for 6800XT being healthy, I mean where's the 6800's,.

Again I'm stuck on a 2 year old GPU (An RX6800) with very limited options without paying through the nose.

Last edited:
Associate

The steam deck is awesome.

Plays all your PC games, I would say its an essential purchase if you have a hefty steam library.

Associate
The steam deck is awesome.

Plays all your PC games, I would say its an essential purchase if you have a hefty steam library.
Seems it can be used for remote play for both my pc and ps5 so win win. Just sold my switch as didn't want to pay £80 for new joy cons. With the emulation features of the deck as well it looks like some serious bit of kit. Perfect for my weeks snowboarding end of Feb.

Last edited:
Associate
Seems it can be used for remote play for both my pc and ps5 so win win. Just sold my switch as didn't want to pay £80 for new joy cons. With the emulation features of the deck as well it looks like some serious bit of kit. Perfect for my weeks snowboarding end of Feb.
It can emulate (Almost) everything, Dreamcast emu is perfect and my favorite at the moment, Gamecube is almost perfect. Plenty of good emu setup guides on utube.

When you are playing the Daytona arcade game from 1994 on a handheld that is only using a few watts to run you realise how far things have come.

I have not tried remote play yet, didnt know you could use it for PS5 as well.

If you are going to be away from a power source I would recommend a battery pack for backup as the internal one wont last long when playing the newer games. Only downside of the deck as far as I can see.

Associate
AMD could easily do a cheap rx6000 (and zen3) refresh using the 6nm node, although I suspect that's fully booked for laptop chips.
They wouldn't be new to such a thing, the RX590 was a decent card done exactly that way with glofo.

Back
Top Bottom