• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***** AMD RX 7900 SERIES AVAILABLE & IN STOCK TODAY FROM 2PM ****(BACK ORDER UPDATES WITHIN THIS THREAD)*

Ok nice, I may go for the XTX Nitro+ (cancelled my XT version just now). Now I'm torn between this and a 4080 :S
My main concern is the power draw on the XTX, also anyone have experience on AMD driver/software support is like with time?

Ok nice, I may go for the XTX Nitro+ (cancelled my XT version just now). Now I'm torn between this and a 4080 :S
My main concern is the power draw on the XTX, also anyone have experience on AMD driver/software support is like with time?
This is how it goes. Now you're thinking of going for the 4080 and just as you decide you will, you start to consider the 4090...

@Gibbo Can you check this for me please ?

Order Number:6482737 (Internet Reference: ST5189573)

I upgraded my original reference 7900xtx card order to the Nitro+ , the additional amount was paid on the 23rd. But my order history page not showing the change. But did receive an email confirmation for the nitro+ . And do you have these cards yet? I see it's showing as In-Stock ?

(Sorry I know everyone's just back , but more worried why it's not showing the updated order )

Does it look ok your side?

Thats weird, Good if it worked but hmmmmmm I cant see it, Its a shame he didnt test that on the spot in his video..

I watched that video and I have never seen the output mode of a gpu effecting the internal die temps, it is just bizarre and to be taken with a pinch of salt. If the cable was somehow limiting the fps or res that was output then you could potentially have a power reduction but I would wait for reliable sources to confirm what the hell was going on in those odd findings.

I watched that video and I have never seen the output mode of a gpu effecting the internal die temps, it is just bizarre and to be taken with a pinch of salt. If the cable was somehow limiting the fps or res that was output then you could potentially have a power reduction but I would wait for reliable sources to confirm what the hell was going on in those odd findings.
In linus's review did he not say it was doing bizarre things, like using a lot more power depending on which monitor it was plugged into?
Maybe there is more to this as the guy tearing them down basically found nothing wrong other than "maybe not enough water in vapor chamber".

It does sound bonkers , but if the video decoder is been nailed it could be a thing is my thinking. If a crappy cable is been used, it's not to do with fps it's about bandwidth of cable. Same with HDMI 2.0/2.1 there isn't really a said cable just needs to be able to do the bandwidth of the standard. (Certified cables are available)​

Evolution of the DisplayPort Standard​

With each update of the DisplayPort standard, more bandwidth is required to support higher video resolutions, refresh rates and color depths. The effective data rate of DP 1.3 and 1.4 is sufficient to support a 4K, 24-bit color monitor at a refresh rate of up to 120 Hz, but it is not able to support the new generation of higher resolution 6K and 8K displays without resorting to compression.

DisplayPort SpecificationYearTypical Monitor ResolutionMax. Data Rate (4 lanes)*Bit Rate Class
1.020061440p @ 60 Hz5.18/8.64 GbpsRBR/HBR
1.120071440p @ 60 Hz8.64 GbpsHBR
1.220094K @ 60 Hz17.28 GbpsHBR2
1.320144K @ 120 Hz
8K @ 60 Hz (with DSC)
25.92 GbpsHBR3
1.420164K @ 120 Hz
8K @ 60 Hz (with DSC)
25.92 GbpsHBR3
1.4a20184K @ 120 Hz
8K @ 60 Hz (with DSC)
25.92 GbpsHBR3
2.020198K @ 60 Hz77.36 GbpsUHBR
* Effective bandwidth after allowing for signal encoding overhead. DP 1.x uses 8/10b encoding, which results in a 20% overhead. DP 2.0 uses the more efficient 128/132b with a 3% overhead.

DisplayPort 1.0 (2006)
  • High Bitrate (HBR) 2.70 Gbps per lane
  • Data Encoding Scheme: 8b/10b
  • DPCP 1.0
DisplayPort 1.1 (2007)
  • HDCP (High Definition Copy Protection) 1.3
  • Dual Mode (DP++)
  • 3D Video
DisplayPort 1.2 (2009)
  • Multi-Stream Transport (MST)
DisplayPort 1.3 (2015)
  • Compatibility with HDMI 2.0
  • HDCP 2.2
DisplayPort 1.4 (2016)
  • HDR
  • HBR3
  • DSC 1.2
DisplayPort 1.4a (2018)
  • DSC 1.2a
DisplayPort 2.0 (2019)
  • Video resolutions:
    • 8K/60 Hz uncompressed
    • 10K@60Hz with 24-bit color and 4:4:4
    • 16K@60 Hz with DSC
  • HDR
  • 77.37 Gbps transfer speed (UHBR 10)
  • Data encoding: 128b/132b
  • Display Signal Compression (DSC)
  • Forward Error Compression (previously optional)
  • Panel Replay (previously optional)
  • Adaptive-Sync (optional)

AMD expected to issue a statement. System integrators already returned hundreds of Radeon RX 7900 XTX MBA cards​

AMD has issued a short statement, finally admitting that there is a problem with reference cooling design:

We are working to determine the cause of the unexpected performance limitation of AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX graphics cards. Based on our observations to date we believe the issue is related to the thermal solution used in AMD’s reference design and is occurring in a limited number of cards sold. We are working to resolve this issue for the affected cards. Customers experiencing this unexpected limitation should contact AMD support.

Last edited:
Think I managed to swerve this on my 7900XTX. Only seen a max delta of about 25c on the junction temp, but only briefly as 10c to 15c delta is my norm. This is with all maxed settings on 1440 x 3440 monitor and getting a steady 132 FPS on Division, Witcher 3 with everything cranked up is seeing 126fps, Tomb Raider 147fps, Divinity OS2 154fps with absolutely no temp issues.

Thank you Powercolor for getting this right (assuming you manufactured this to a specific design??)

Think I managed to swerve this on my 7900XTX. Only seen a max delta of about 25c on the junction temp, but only briefly as 10c to 15c delta is my norm. This is with all maxed settings on 1440 x 3440 monitor and getting a steady 132 FPS on Division, Witcher 3 with everything cranked up is seeing 126fps, Tomb Raider 147fps, Divinity OS2 154fps with absolutely no temp issues.

Thank you Powercolor for getting this right (assuming you manufactured this to a specific design??)

If it is a 7900XTX MBA then all Powercolor did was put it in their own box. It would have been delivered to them prebuilt and they boxed it up. I have a Saphire MBA that appears to be working as intended with sensible junction temps but I am keeping an eye on the situation and will be running more benchmarks later to test temps , getting paranoid.

I've been doing a bit of googling and I can't tell if Unreal Engine's Nanite uses Mesh Shaders, if it does the same job or if it's not really related, but I did see that Nanite is now used in Fortnite when running in DX12.
Hopefully it does, most likely it will as it will benefit perf. It's just no games use it at the moment, bit of a nothing burger right now outside of a 3DMark test almost no one uses.

Any chance I can get an update on my order (ST5206677), had some trouble yesterday getting an order in finally got it through but it hasn't moved since.

@Gibbo Can you check this for me please ?

Order Number:6482737 (Internet Reference: ST5189573)

I upgraded my original reference 7900xtx card order to the Nitro+ , the additional amount was paid on the 23rd. But my order history page not showing the change. But did receive an email confirmation for the nitro+ . And do you have these cards yet? I see it's showing as In-Stock ?

(Sorry I know everyone's just back , but more worried why it's not showing the updated order )

Does it look ok your side?
@Gibbo same here. No feedback for my upgrade order since you announced the Nitro+ XTX stock arrival and the website was already shown they are in stock.
I already sent a web ticket 2 days ago but no response as of now. My order number is 6482657 (Internet Reference: ST5189522).
Could you have a look on it? Will it be faster if I cancel and reorder the same item to let the team ship it?
Many thanks.

@Gibbo same here. No feedback for my upgrade order since you announced the Nitro+ XTX stock arrival and the website was already shown they are in stock.
I already sent a web ticket 2 days ago but no response as of now. My order number is 6482657 (Internet Reference: ST5189522).
Could you have a look on it? Will it be faster if I cancel and reorder the same item to let the team ship it?
Many thanks.

Just asked warehouse to look into, for some reason the computer systems are treating your orders as if you still have an MBA card and as such is flagging them out of stock. I've told warehouse to manually over ride and ship your Nitro's out whilst we still have stock.

Back
Top Bottom