• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D Cache Eight Core 4.5GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail - Go Go Go xD

Is it possible for games to feel smoother whilst fps is around the same or only a few more?

That seems to be the case for me going 5800X to 5800X3D.

Sort of similar going vsync to gsync. Fps can be the same but there’s other technology making it smoother.

Warzone 2 for example, looking out a window with a scope can drop fps to 70s or 80s in some areas but it still feels fine. 5800X it wasnt too bad as fos dropped, just not AS smooth. The best explanation can be 30fps vsync vs 30fps gsync. Gsync monitor was like magic.
I've had the same experience myself and couldn't really put my finger on it. Vcache is really working its magic i suppose

Considering the problems with Zen 4 so far I have decided to skip the generation and I was thinking of going back to a 5800X3D as my gaming habits have changed ( I had bought it before but got rid of it because it was overkill for the time and I had trouble cooling it ). However I am trying to work out now if the 5800X3D would respect the platform thermal throttle limit in the bios so that I could tame it that way. Does anyone know if the 5800X3D will respect a manually change to the PTTL?

I've had the same experience myself and couldn't really put my finger on it. Vcache is really working its magic i suppose
Its simply the difference between 80ns access (normal cpu intel etc..) vs 8ns (x3d amd cpu) access.
This they cant benchmark and showcase how good it feels with x3d cpus.

Considering the problems with Zen 4 so far I have decided to skip the generation and I was thinking of going back to a 5800X3D as my gaming habits have changed ( I had bought it before but got rid of it because it was overkill for the time and I had trouble cooling it ). However I am trying to work out now if the 5800X3D would respect the platform thermal throttle limit in the bios so that I could tame it that way. Does anyone know if the 5800X3D will respect a manually change to the PTTL?
I had am5 sicne nov 2022 and had no issues either with 7600x nor the new 7800x3d.
best gaming experience >i ever had

Depending on your motherboard you can limit this cpu to 65watts. On Asus I think the setting is performance enhancer set to off. If your case is big enough the noctua D15s can tame this cpu. The performance dip at 65 watts was not that bad.

Does anyone know if this is a worthwhile upgrade from a 3600? Particularly as I play a bit of Flight Simulator which is quite CPU bound.

Starting to see it drop close to £200 used.
Yes it’s a big upgrade for flight sim as that game loves cache. The other thing you will notice is the much higher 1% lows in most games.

Have you tried a new windows install. I have heard upgraders with some wierd problems and a reinstall of windows fixed it.
Upgraders? I've been using the 5800X3D for about a year and its been perfect.
A recent (game) update has screwed Warzone 2 for PC players - Frame times are all over making it feel like 20fps even though its 100fps

Apart from Warzone 2. Where it now feels like a game from 1997 playing with a Cyrix 150Mhz from ~1997
I'm finding in cod mw2 the general game has been affected with a hit to fps, but a couple of the ground war maps are a stuttery mess. I'm aiming and shooting, and the opponent meanwhile has left the building, got in a truck and driven home.

Last edited:
So this is something I've only just noticed, probably something really simple to fix but its doing my head in.

I've had my 5800x3D for a while now and it's doing me great. But I've only just noticed it's not boosting past 3.4ghz.

It's in an Asus B550 TUF Gaming WiFi II, BIOS updated and I can't for the life of me find a setting in there which will seem to unlock it to it's full potential.

Any ideas? Thermals are fine. Google isn't coming up with much.

So this is something I've only just noticed, probably something really simple to fix but its doing my head in.

I've had my 5800x3D for a while now and it's doing me great. But I've only just noticed it's not boosting past 3.4ghz.

It's in an Asus B550 TUF Gaming WiFi II, BIOS updated and I can't for the life of me find a setting in there which will seem to unlock it to it's full potential.

Any ideas? Thermals are fine. Google isn't coming up with much.
BIOS and chipset drivers up to date?

I'm finding in cod mw2 the general game has been affected with a hit to fps, but a couple of the ground war maps are a stuttery mess. I'm aiming and shooting, and the opponent meanwhile has left the building, got in a truck and driven home.
I might buy 6 days in Fallujah and play some of that instead.

I do like Warzone for talking to mates on their consoles though (who dont use PCs / tech at all)

BIOS and chipset drivers up to date?

Yup, ironically I could have been none the wiser. I was gifted a 3DMark code on steam and ran timespy with MSI afterburner (something else I've never used) and the cpu never went above 3.4ghz.

I've disable "Asus Optimised Performance" mode in the bios and it's now just sitting at 3.6ghz instead. Still no boosting though.

*Edit*

Sorted it, reflashed the BIOS and then set everything to default. It all works now at 4.5ghz.

Last edited:
Yup, ironically I could have been none the wiser. I was gifted a 3DMark code on steam and ran timespy with MSI afterburner (something else I've never used) and the cpu never went above 3.4ghz.

I've disable "Asus Optimised Performance" mode in the bios and it's now just sitting at 3.6ghz instead. Still no boosting though.

*Edit*

Sorted it, reflashed the BIOS and then set everything to default. It all works now at 4.5ghz.
At least it was an easy fix. Probably something to do with the performance adjustment as these chips can't be fettled with much.

Back
Top Bottom