• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D Cache Eight Core 4.5GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail - Go Go Go xD

Caporegime
Swapped my 5900x for a 5800x3d last night. Haven’t done any tinkering yet but idle temps look solid which seem to confirm good paste and seating of cpu block.

Fired up cp2077 and gaming temps hovered around 53c. Will do some more testing later but not seeing a need to mess with PBO curves?
It’ll give you a higher frequency and a lower perhaps a little lower power draw. Definitely worth messing with.

Associate
Thanks for that.

Would you recommend pbo tuner or can I utilise the pbo tools in my bios? (Aorus Master x570).

im new to the 5800X3D. coming from a very stable 5950X.
i have a gigabyte x570s aero g, and after following this thread and a couple of other posts on here, managed to set it up in the Bios, i would have thought having the Master you should have it ready to go like mine was after the latest bios updates

Soldato
Really fighting the urge to get one of these CPU's.

I can't see me doing a full upgrade any time soon and this would probably keep me going for quite a few years.

Soldato
OK - think I've done it.

Am I missing anything?
Not at all, that's you.

Now one thing to note, while you have PBO on there may be some instances where temps are slightly higher but you have to remember the chip will essentially run at max turbo under any load. So a 100% load should see a higher avg frequency than before. It's such an easy tweak on this chip and seems to work in a solid manner unlike the non X3D Ryzen CPU's.

Really fighting the urge to get one of these CPU's. I can't see me doing a full upgrade any time soon and this would probably keep me going for quite a few years.
I done exactly that, I'm glad I did as I now have a much cooler and better performing CPU than previously. The lows alone make such a difference to me.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've gone -10 in the BIOS on mine for now, but I'm yet to stress test at all. I was seeing spikes up to 90C on the AMD Radeon overlay on certain game loads, but I'm not sure which temperature sensor this is reading. This is also my first time with an AIO cooler so I think I need to do lots more fan/pump curve tweaking, as well as possibly re-pasting as I had a bit of "slip and slide" when I was installing so may have messed up the paste a bit.

That said, I'm barely ever seeing above 60C, and in some games that are more GPU intensive I'm seeing usually <50C temps, although to be fair it's also showing the CPU frequency as sub 2Ghz so I guess clocking down is really helping the temps too :p

Associate

I can't see me doing a full upgrade any time soon and this would probably keep me going for quite a few years.
I swapped from a 5800x to a 5800x3D recently and it's been great. Lower power consumption and I think the noticeable piece (as others have said plenty of times) is the lack of frame drops. BF2042 feels mega smooth and on MW2/Warzone I previously would notice frame drops in high density areas, it's just non-existent on the new 3D CPU.

I think it helped that I bought the 5800x3D for £305 and sold my 5800x for £180 - so spending £125 felt worth it to me.

Soldato
Not at all, that's you.

Now one thing to note, while you have PBO on there may be some instances where temps are slightly higher but you have to remember the chip will essentially run at max turbo under any load. So a 100% load should see a higher avg frequency than before. It's such an easy tweak on this chip and seems to work in a solid manner unlike the non X3D Ryzen CPU's.

I done exactly that, I'm glad I did as I now have a much cooler and better performing CPU than previously. The lows alone make such a difference to me.

Great!

Noticed a huge difference in Prime, temps didn't exceed mid 50's.

Soldato
Left my PC idle for a little this evening, noticed the min core speeds dropping as low as 224 MHz. Is that normal or does that indicate that -30 on the curve might be a little too aggressive? I haven't picked up on any instability.

Soldato
Just noticed, the 5800X3D has been out nearly a full year now - how time flies.

Have to say the 5xxx series as a whole has been a great success, and I've lost count of the number of older systems that I've upgraded from 1st/2nd Gen parts, but the 5800X3D really is a bit special, stands out for me like the Celeron 300A, Duron 600, Barton AXP2500(M), the Core2 E6300, and even the Q6600 and then 2500K. Wonder if the 7800X3D will get added to the list, time will surely tell. :)

Associate
Left my PC idle for a little this evening, noticed the min core speeds dropping as low as 224 MHz. Is that normal or does that indicate that -30 on the curve might be a little too aggressive? I haven't picked up on any instability.
That seems pretty normal to me. I'm also running -30 and if mine is just left on the desktop not doing anything I've noticed it drop to <100mhz at times with no problems. The core speed soon picks up once you start doing anything.

Associate
Still tempted by these chips, even though i'm only playing on my 4k 60hz 65" TV in the living room - Going from a standard 5800x, Im feeling that it will keep my system running better for a longer period of time with the 7900XTX (especially if I grab a 65" LG c2/3 for 120hz goodness.) Cant justify the massive AM5 cost just for marginal improvements at the res i'll be playing at.

Back
Top Bottom