• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D CPU Burns Up

Associate
I have been running my 5800X for two and a half years with an overclock, curve optimised and cheap as chips 3200MT/s ram overclocked to 3800MT/s

On a relatively cheap B550 Gigabyte board. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...2-amd-am4-b550-atx-motherboard-mb-59q-gi.html

Its never put a foot wrong, not even the slightest little hitch, nothing at all, its been rock solid and perfect.

I do wonder how many of these apparently problem Ryzen builds, like Jay here, are running Asus boards.

Gigabyte or MSI, Maybe ASRock..... these days IMO Asus boards are just crap.

GsO5X1G.png
I had some issues with Ram on my old gigabyte x570 board, couldn't get 4x8gb 3200c16 stable. Then I swapped to 2x16gb 3600c18 which wasn't stable with xmp, I did manage to get it stable manually mind you. Ram seems like it can be a bit finnicky across most boards though. Also had USB issues but that was a amd issue which eventually got a bios update.

Associate
We often get people come to this forum and say things like " I purchased my PC 10 years ago and I need an upgrade".

Now the FACT is that Asus were running 1.4V into the SoC whereas the other manufacturers were running in spec and using 1.2-1.25. What is the result of running such high voltage through the SoC? well we saw some explosive evidence but that is just a few cpus , what is happening to the other millions of cpus running with too high a voltage is they are degrading at a massively enhanced speed and will not last anywhere near as long as cpus running with a lower voltage. What would the cpu failure rate be when using an Asus mobo at 1.4V compared to a Gigabyte at 1.2V after 5 years ? I would estimate 10 times as many failures or maybe many times higher than that. There will be a large percentage of Asus customers who do not follow tech news and will have no idea about this issue and will never update their bios and will therefore keep running at 1.4V for the lifetime of the PC , however long or short that may be.

What is really scary is the beta bios is still only limiting the soc voltage to 1.3V. How bad are these mobos when even after they have been caught doing something foolish they are still not managing to get anywhere close to running within spec. The other manufacurers can manage to write a bios and run within the AMD set limits but not Asus , they are obviously a special case. If this was a one time occurence you could write it off as a mistake but this is always how Asus has set up there mobos and bios, they have always ran too much voltage into ram to help with stability, they have always pumped V into the cpu to get that extra 1%, this is the culture of the company.

The other mobo manufacturers are no angels but this should be massively damaging to Asus future sales and If I was an SI like OCUK I would not want to put these type of products into prebuilt systems that are covered under a warranty.

Associate
And videos like that MIGHT be part of the problem too, 10 seconds from where you started the video he says 1.4 is fine.

How many people watch videos like this not really understanding what they are doing, bang the SOC up to 1.4 which is then compounded by the likes of ASUS with their dodgy coding and loose limits and in reality their chip is getting near 1.5 and going pop ?

Associate
Like this one here, despite not owning one I'll always remember them because of the colour scheme:

886_9.jpg
That's cool. I wonder why they stopped making them?

Associate
I'm still in the process of putting together my new 7800X3D + ASUS B650E-I build. I did turn it on briefly to check it powered but then turned it off within a minute.

A bit out of the loop with everything going on regarding this issue, but checking the BIOS release page I can see this:

1602 and 1414 are beta releases which according to the disclaimer do void warranty. However the 1413 release isn't a beta version and it does limit SoC voltage to 1.3v.

I'm not sure what to do. Update to 1413 and see how it holds up? I'm not an overclocker so I was going to run everything default. Although I would obviously like to use DDR5 6000MHz CL30 EXPO at 6000MHz.

I went with ASUS because of PCIE5 and the overall black theme. Not exactly blessed with a plethora of options at ITX. It's either the MSI B650 Edge which is PCIE4 and silver or the ASRock B650E PG-ITX WiFi which is more expensive than the ASUS (to be fair it does have PCIE5).

Thoughts?
I'm on 1413 dude. Waiting for a bug free agesa non beta bios before going with another update. I think I tried them all starting 1406. I'm running default settings until I feel confident about overclocking again. Asus TUF gaming x670e plus WiFi.

Man of Honour
I'm still in the process of putting together my new 7800X3D + ASUS B650E-I build. I did turn it on briefly to check it powered but then turned it off within a minute.

A bit out of the loop with everything going on regarding this issue, but checking the BIOS release page I can see this:

Screenshot-20230512-094800-2.png

1602 and 1414 are beta releases which according to the disclaimer do void warranty. However the 1413 release isn't a beta version and it does limit SoC voltage to 1.3v.

I'm not sure what to do. Update to 1413 and see how it holds up? I'm not an overclocker so I was going to run everything default. Although I would obviously like to use DDR5 6000MHz CL30 EXPO at 6000MHz.

I went with ASUS because of PCIE5 and the overall black theme. Not exactly blessed with a plethora of options at ITX. It's either the MSI B650 Edge which is PCIE4 and silver or the ASRock B650E PG-ITX WiFi which is more expensive than the ASUS (to be fair it does have PCIE5).

Thoughts?

I'm running 1413 atm, its fine ( spec in sig below )

Associate
All involved parties are to blame in this situation but ASUS has been more visible because they screwed up the worst and from what I've read its been normal for them to pump way more voltage than has been needed to guarantee memory stability. It's simply finally caught up to them and now they are panicking and trying to cover their asses to avoid liability. Hopefully this is a wake up call to ASUS to get off their asses and actually produce the quality of product that we all know they are capable of ( why they earned the reputation in the first place )

Soldato
Yip you sure could do this but to me the bigger point is that the resale point of these Asus motherboards has just fell like a stone and to me this is important to be able to buy the latest new gen motherboards to offset the cost. I mean a lot of people avioded buy Gigbyte PSU`s.

AM5 will last so many years that this overblown and exaggerated event will have completely have been forgotten at that point. It's similar to the Nvidia 12vhpwr 4090 melting story - though I believe more 4090's died compared to Ryzen 7000 series CPU's. Only a handful of CPU's have died (in Gigabyte, Asrock and Asus boards).

As with the 4090 12VHPWR issue - it tends to be those who don't own the hardware, have no intention of owning it, that are the most vocal. The majority just get on with life and enjoy the product (these are the fastest CPU's for gaming after all ;) )

Soldato
AM5 will last so many years that this overblown and exaggerated event will have completely have been forgotten at that point. It's similar to the Nvidia 12vhpwr 4090 melting story - though I believe more 4090's died compared to Ryzen 7000 series CPU's. Only a handful of CPU's have died (in Gigabyte, Asrock and Asus boards).

As with the 4090 12VHPWR issue - it tends to be those who don't own the hardware, have no intention of owning it, that are the most vocal. The majority just get on with life and enjoy the product (these are the fastest CPU's for gaming after all ;) )
AM5 will hopefully last, but I suspect next gen they'll release more motherboards only this time using X770 and B750 chipsets that might have better solutions to these issues than capping the SoC voltage (and removing manual voltage options?)

And it's true that we might go along happily with the vast majority of us having no issues. But I don't like the fact that there's a chance I'm in the small minority that do.
These are not cheap motherboards, if you're spending this sort of money on it you shouldn't have to wonder if today will be the day when it takes out your CPU (and in the case of Asus your motherboard too).

I also like the way Jayz2cents put it in that we don't judge them on the issues they have (well, we do), we judge them on how they respond to it. I think that's what has people most annoyed with Asus, the response they had. Warranty voiding beta bioses and then saying that all users should run with default settings despite advertising all the fancy features, like EXPO, that they're now saying you shouldn't use. Don't advertise it on one hand and then tell me not to use it!

Man of Honour
Hopefully this is a wake up call to ASUS to get off their asses and actually produce the quality of product that we all know they are capable of ( why they earned the reputation in the first place )

When was that? I bought a Striker Extreme motherboard back in the day and it had a problem where even slight board flex would pop the BGA connections on the chipset - which would even happen over multiple heat cycles. They were quite happy to replace it with what was obviously other customer's returns with the exact same problem, then sent me the next model down with Striker Extreme stickers over the lower tier model name, then sent me the next model down where it actually had Striker Extreme on the board (but wasn't a SE) but with stickers over the top for the next model down!?! at which point I cut my losses and literally took a hammer to it.

Then sadly made the mistake of buying the original ROG Swift as it was the only proper G-Sync monitor at the time, turned out that was a piece of junk as well with a design flaw which meant a component overheated creating a high current leak to ground... another poor RMA experience and eventually cutting my losses and buying the Dell version when that was released.

Asus RT-N66U? turned out they used literally the cheapest power switch possible, I can't remember the name now but it was literally a flimsy knock-off brand variant of the switch - I eventually had to solder it permanently on. Also had numerous software issues/bugs that required the Merlin firmware to fix.

Aside from innovation and the occasional quality product like the Eee it has mostly been marketing and bling.

Last edited:
Soldato
any one here using the asrock x670e taichi? if so what is it like
i was all set to build a pc with asus rog x670e hero this weekend and saw the gamers nexus vids on YouTube based on the emails retialer will offer me full refund on that

Back
Top Bottom