• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D CPU Burns Up

Associate

I vaguely remember vendors being called out on using all-core turbo boost on Intel Skylake CPUs when using xmp, and using high load line calibration to do so. It made them look slightly better in reviews vs competitors who used stock boost behavior. Can't remember who the vendor was or what the details where, but my point is this behavior isn't new, and the media was better equipped to call it out.
I feel there's a lot of scare mongering going on in this thread, but...I'm pretty sure that was ASUS too , though they were hardly alone.

Soldato
Absolutely - welcome to the real world where companies often lack joined up thinking and/or the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing or are just plain scummy and will try and put people off as much as they can with returns - removing the text doesn't necessarily mean anything at all - it isn't like Asus is well known for doing the right thing...

Yeah LetMeRepair or something like that - I've used them a few times they are absolutely trash - they will do everything they can including in your case telling you to go back to the place of purchase to put you off RMAing a product and if you get past those hurdles 9 times out of 10 you'll get a ropey refurbished product which in some cases is literally just another customer's return sent back out to you without being fixed. You probably dodged a bullet there unless they've changed dramatically in the last few years.

It got so bad for awhile OcUK was handling all Asus returns themselves taking the hit if necessary though I don't think it is the case any more unfortunately.

Never had an issue with letmerepair. Their monitor service is literally swap and drop.

Man of Honour
Never had an issue with letmerepair. Their monitor service is literally swap and drop.

It has been a few years but the swapping on the doorstep was the only redeeming feature - when I had to RMA my ROG Swift I got what were blatantly other customer returns sent out as replacements which had been wiped down but were faulty until they had nothing left to send and Asus had to ship me a brand new one as it ticked over 28 days or whatever it was. Sadly that eventually died the same way as the original as well.

Soldato
So been looking at my older 7700 + Asus TUF Gaming B650-Plus setup (been setup for a while so have to make the most of it) and it's on the newest non-beta bios. From what I could tell looking at SoC Voltage in HWiNFO64, by default, it was hitting 1.28v (memory is running at 5600MHz). I've tweaked it by setting it down so that it's maxing out at about 1.2v.

Is that enough for me to not need to worry about it?
The BIOS I'm running doesn't mention anything about a 1.3v limit, but since it's 5600MHz RAM with, I'd guess, pretty loose timings I wouldn't expect it to need high SoC voltage. Is it still possible that it could spike even though I've manually set it in the BIOS?

Soldato
So been looking at my older 7700 + Asus TUF Gaming B650-Plus setup (been setup for a while so have to make the most of it) and it's on the newest non-beta bios. From what I could tell looking at SoC Voltage in HWiNFO64, by default, it was hitting 1.28v (memory is running at 5600MHz). I've tweaked it by setting it down so that it's maxing out at about 1.2v.

Is that enough for me to not need to worry about it?
The BIOS I'm running doesn't mention anything about a 1.3v limit, but since it's 5600MHz RAM with, I'd guess, pretty loose timings I wouldn't expect it to need high SoC voltage. Is it still possible that it could spike even though I've manually set it in the BIOS?

TUF GAMING B650-PLUS BIOS 1601
Version 1601
Beta Version
9.02 MB
2023/05/04
"1. Update AGESA version to Combo AM5 PI 1.0.0.7.
2. Support 48/24GB high-density DDR5 memory module.
3. SoC voltage for Ryzen 7000 series limited to a maximum of 1.30V to protect the CPU and motherboard.
Before running the USB BIOS Flashback tool, please rename the BIOS file (TGB650P.CAP) using BIOSRenamer."

Soldato
TUF GAMING B650-PLUS BIOS 1601
Version 1601
Beta Version
9.02 MB
2023/05/04
"1. Update AGESA version to Combo AM5 PI 1.0.0.7.
2. Support 48/24GB high-density DDR5 memory module.
3. SoC voltage for Ryzen 7000 series limited to a maximum of 1.30V to protect the CPU and motherboard.
Before running the USB BIOS Flashback tool, please rename the BIOS file (TGB650P.CAP) using BIOSRenamer."

No, not that one. I'm using 1409

Soldato
Yeah you need to update bios to get it . Why not update the bios ? Probably will get more in the coming days / weeks

Last edited:

cho

cho

Permabanned
of given new features its most probably high density DDR5 memory support in experimental phase, hence beta - nevertheless - public means approved and safe to use with restriction to eventual instabilities

Soldato
OP
Really thats amazing, i assume you have turned somthing on to enable this perhaps ?
My PC boots to the windows lockscreen in 6 seconds, takes 3 seconds for me to type in my password, then startup programs take about 20 seconds, thats using a WD 850X nvme drive, with an ASUS x670e gene, 7900 non x and 32gb of RAM sort of expo enabled, but timings, speed, voltage etc entered manually, ive tried removing the 10 second windows explorer delay, but it doesnt seem to work on windows 11

Last edited:
Soldato
My PC boots to the windows lockscreen in 6 seconds, takes 3 seconds for me to type in my password, then startup programs take about 20 seconds, thats using a WD 850X nvme drive, with an ASUS x670e gene, 7900 non x and 32gb of RAM sort of expo enabled, but timings, speed, voltage etc entered manually, ive tried removing the 10 second windows explorer delay, but it doesnt seem to work on windows 11
As fast as the hardware gets we never seem to make much ground on start-up. To be fair though I remember being able to go and make a cup of tea while waiting for the PC to boot :cry: I think we'll need some sort of persistent memory before we see it get much faster.

Soldato
OP
As fast as the hardware gets we never seem to make much ground on start-up. To be fair though I remember being able to go and make a cup of tea while waiting for the PC to boot :cry: I think we'll need some sort of persistent memory before we see it get much faster.
TBH, I remember being able to go make a whole roast dinner whilst waiting for a game to load on my first ever PC lol......Sinclair ZX Spektrum.......only to come back and find a syntax error at the end.......arrrrgggghhhh, but hey, the colours were nice to watch and hypnotising :cry:

For those who dont know what im talking about

Last edited:
Soldato
TBH, I remember being able to go make a whole roast dinner whilst waiting for a game to load on my first ever PC lol......Sinclair ZX Spektrum.......only to come back and find a syntax error at the end.......arrrrgggghhhh, but hey, the colours were nice to watch and hypnotising :cry:
Lol, I still get PTSD if I hear that Spectrum loading sound. Waiting forever for it to load up only for it to error :mad: Used to infuriate me playing with volume settings :cry: Still got it up the loft somewhere.

Soldato
OP
Lol, I still get PTSD if I hear that Spectrum loading sound. Waiting forever for it to load up only for it to error :mad: Used to infuriate me playing with volume settings :cry: Still got it up the loft somewhere.
You cant beat a bit of Horace goes skiing lol, they dont makes games like that anymore......(mumbles under my breath) "Thank god for that"

Soldato
I'm not sure how long my PCs take to start up, but most of the time I'm left waiting for my monitors to wake up (I'm not sure if it takes them a long time to realise there's input or quite what, maybe they take a while to "wake up" (and they seem to go to sleep quickly).

Soldato
of given new features its most probably high density DDR5 memory support in experimental phase, hence beta - nevertheless - public means approved and safe to use with restriction to eventual instabilities
I believe they released a BETA bios that just did the 1.3V limit, but they didn't make that a non-beta bios. If they're safe to use, why call them beta?

Associate
Are people with a 7800X3D and an ASUS board confident the overvolting problems will be fixed with BIOS updates alone? I have a Tuf Gaming X670E-plus and am waiting for a full fix but am considering getting a different board, maybe an Asrock.

Back
Top Bottom