• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D CPU Burns Up

Soldato
OP
I cant say i am expereince quick boot times with my board, i was under the impression memory context restore has to be enabled to give boot times a swift change on am5. But this can cause instabilty. Maybe its time to enable this again for myself to imrprove things
MCR just speeds up the post time, stops it getting stuck on 15 code for 20 or 30 seconds, you have to enable power down enabled too, it should auto enable when you enable MCR, if not, just do it manually, otherwise I too get BSOD's, crashes and errors.

Boot racer will tell you what your boot times are, it starts counting after the bios hands over to windows, so doesnt include post time.

Last edited:
Associate
Derbauer posted a video about warranties, and apparently even using "unsupported" coolers on AMD can void your warranty which is kind of funny. For the 7000 series that leaves about 6 water coolers and no air cooler solutions.

Of course in practice I doubt they'd question it but he comments on that too basically saying were forced to lie to them if they do ask about this stuff because of their odd disclaimers.

What's funny is AMD benched the 7000 series with 6000Mhz RAM according to that little footnote on AMDs site when their own recommended max is 5200, so AMD is voiding their own bloody warranty by exceeding their own specs by overlocking, yet if we follow AMDs own build by using the RAM they tested with we would have technically just voided the warranty :cry:, absolutely insane.

Associate
What's funny is AMD benched the 7000 series with 6000Mhz RAM according to that little footnote on AMDs site when their own recommended max is 5200, so AMD is voiding their own bloody warranty by exceeding their own specs by overlocking, yet if we follow AMDs own build by using the RAM they tested with we would have technically just voided the warranty :cry:, absolutely insane.
Good spotting.

cho

cho

Permabanned

AMDs official press statements allow to use 6000Mhz ram as best solution so on this occasion I wouldn't be worried by little footnotes

Associate
AMDs official press statements allow to use 6000Mhz ram as best solution so on this occasion I wouldn't be worried by little footnotes

And this is the stupid problem when it comes to warranty, same goes for Intel. It's just a joke that AMD themselves do all tests and want reviewers to do it with a decent RAM overclock as 6000 is the sweet spot for Ryzen 7000 but then they have this warranty statement on the same page they want you to use EXPO.

Massive page saying use EXPO as you get the best performance as AMD worked with partners to create it and here is all the RAM you can use, but if you use it your technically screwed.
Overclocking and/or undervolting AMD processors and memory, including without limitation, altering clock frequencies / multipliers or memory timing / voltage, to operate outside of AMD’s published specifications will void any applicable AMD product warranty, even when enabled via AMD hardware and/or software.

Last edited:
Soldato
It’s a ridiculous situation.

Surely it isn’t legal to advertise a product at a certain performance level but then to tell a customer to reach that level of performance it’s no longer under warranty.

In some respects I think this situation is overblown via YouTube, there’s not been THAT many instances of dead CPU’s/boards. I’m not denying there’s a technical problem, clearly there is, but I do think it’s been a bit overblown. However on the other hand, it has highlighted some really dodgy practices, misrepresentation, poor pr and all the rest of it.

I said it weeks ago, but AMD shouldn’t be allowed to advertise a feature like EXPO so heavily and promote it with their partners etc only to then tell customers they are on their own and potentially out of warranty for using it. It’s crazy.

Last edited:
Soldato
Surely it isn’t legal to advertise a product at a certain performance level but then to tell a customer to reach that level of performance it’s no longer under warranty.

Gamer's Nexus put it well with the comparison that if a car has a sport button and you press it, it should neither void your warranty nor make the engine explode when pressed. The question is whether the law is modernised enough to understand that the two are very equivalent.

If Asus and/or AMD want to say that users should only run on defaults without EXPO, then they should be re-reviewed with 4200 or whatever the default memory speed is, and those are the numbers that should be presented in comparison to other motherboards and Intel CPUs. If reviewers close ranks on this, both companies will suddenly decide warranty absolutely does apply. Reviewers have the power to make big companies behave, as long as they have the courage to stand up and not worry about 'but what if they stop sending us products?' (And in the end, no reviewer wants to get a rep for recommending products that others are issuing warnings about and which the internet at large is saying perform poorly, so it's probably not even necessary for all of them to stand up as long as some of the reputable ones do.)

Soldato
Gamer's Nexus put it well with the comparison that if a car has a sport button and you press it, it should neither void your warranty nor make the engine explode when pressed. The question is whether the law is modernised enough to understand that the two are very equivalent.

If Asus and/or AMD want to say that users should only run on defaults without EXPO, then they should be re-reviewed with 4200 or whatever the default memory speed is, and those are the numbers that should be presented in comparison to other motherboards and Intel CPUs. If reviewers close ranks on this, both companies will suddenly decide warranty absolutely does apply. Reviewers have the power to make big companies behave, as long as they have the courage to stand up and not worry about 'but what if they stop sending us products?' (And in the end, no reviewer wants to get a rep for recommending products that others are issuing warnings about and which the internet at large is saying perform poorly, so it's probably not even necessary for all of them to stand up as long as some of the reputable ones do.)

But someone will run the test with expo and get all that delicious add revenue and those will be the numbers. YouTube reviews have zero power.

cho

cho

Permabanned
so lets
It’s a ridiculous situation.

I said it weeks ago, but AMD shouldn’t be allowed to advertise a feature like EXPO so heavily and promote it with their partners etc only to then tell customers they are on their own and potentially out of warranty for using it. It’s crazy.
I think there is completely no point to discuss above - using EXPO ram keeps you safe - AMD puts their stamp on those modules. On the other side motherboards' manufacturers keep you safe through official lists of supported modules - EXPO or XMP.

Soldato
Of course in practice I doubt they'd question it but he comments on that too basically saying were forced to lie to them if they do ask about this stuff because of their odd disclaimers.
Theres nothing unusual about that though people have been lying about overvolting their CPU's for years and RMA'ing them theres no way to tell if a chip has been mistreated it doesn't keep a log. This time the only difference is the potential number of returns which could be floods

Associate
qxffgy7h85i91.jpg

Don't ever press the TURBO button !

Associate
Missed that the top ones were AM5 as well but they're less than 105W TDP so that basically means none of the X3D chips.

Technically I'm out of warranty for using a NH-D15 on a X3D cpu even though it's perfectly adequate, lol.

It just feels incredibly arbitrary. The top end double tower air coolers are easily equal to many low-mid tier water coolers, some of which are even listed by them..
Noctua NH-D15 is ok for 120W tdp cpus and so is ok for X3D cpus too.

Man of Honour
I remember we had them at school in the science labs - keylock and turbo button - the keylock you needed to unlock it to even start the system up but that also gave chassis access - the keys would go missing for a past time causing no end of issues.

Soldato
Did it make jet turbine noises when you pressed the Turbo button? Please tell me it made jet turbine noises when you pressed the Turbo button.
most DIY or small maker cases probably never wired Turbo up. I think it was a proper switch button (so not a toggle like reset) long before soft-power on/off was a thing... So there really was no reason you could have wired it up a Delta 15,000 RPM 40mm screaming fan. If those exists way back then, that is.

Last edited:

cho

cho

Permabanned
had a good laugh too at
Don't ever press the TURBO button !
good one!

however what we are talking here is not really relatable to as additional potential of OC is not available for a mainstream user - you have to go to bios, you have to go to advanced settings, you have to unblock - settings manual entry ..

does it sound like turbo button or sport mode? I don't think so - it is more - "lets nitrogen cool this thing!" or "how about chip tuning my engine!" - in such a scenario it is difficult to not agree refusal of warranty is justified

Last edited:
Associate
Theres nothing unusual about that though people have been lying about overvolting their CPU's for years and RMA'ing them theres no way to tell if a chip has been mistreated it doesn't keep a log. This time the only difference is the potential number of returns which could be floods
I mean I don't think anyone is suggesting this is new really. Just because it's not new doesn't make it any less of an issue that they advertise features which they use in their own marketing performance but then argue it voids warranty in the same breath. It doesn't really help them either, as it just means they get less information from the user for diagnostic purposes.
Noctua NH-D15 is ok for 120W tdp cpus and so is ok for X3D cpus too.
Yeah but they only have it listed for AM4 and AM5 under 105W TDP. That was the point. They're writing this fine print over non-supported coolers voiding warranty but then they're not being that great in keeping a coherent and clear updated list that makes sense.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom