• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D CPU Burns Up

Are people with a 7800X3D and an ASUS board confident the overvolting problems will be fixed with BIOS updates alone? I have a Tuf Gaming X670E-plus and am waiting for a full fix but am considering getting a different board, maybe an Asrock.
I've got the same setup dude. I'm waiting for the stable bios with agesa fix before I start tinkering with overclocking again. It's my first build in years and want it to run the distance without doing anything unintentional towards the components. Running stock is pretty lame tbh after waiting for the 7800X3D to arrive. Wish this was discovered earlier. Just gotta keep being patient.

I've got the same setup dude. I'm waiting for the stable bios with agesa fix before I start tinkering with overclocking again. It's my first build in years and want it to run the distance without doing anything unintentional towards the components. Running stock is pretty lame tbh after waiting for the 7800X3D to arrive. Wish this was discovered earlier. Just gotta keep being patient.
Would you say its safe to run this setup at stock and manually lower the SOC voltage then enable EXPO once ASUS/AMD sort their BIOSes out?

From what's being said is it potentially other voltages that are set too high on this board as well, not just SOC?

Would you say its safe to run this setup at stock and manually lower the SOC voltage then enable EXPO once ASUS/AMD sort their BIOSes out?

From what's being said is it potentially other voltages that are set too high on this board as well, not just SOC?
I'm not the right person to ask tbh. I know people who have the same setup on early bios versions who are using EXPO and PBO + CO. Others on a different bios version are just enabling EXPO, and others are just waiting for a new stable bios before adjusting anything.. Sorry it's not very helpful.

Are people with a 7800X3D and an ASUS board confident the overvolting problems will be fixed with BIOS updates alone? I have a Tuf Gaming X670E-plus and am waiting for a full fix but am considering getting a different board, maybe an Asrock
Asrock X670E
7800x3d is non to barely oc'able cpu due to its architecture and it was all around internet about it prior to release date

Yes - CPUs are being fried because ram modules are overvoltaged..

Asrock X670E

7800x3d is non to barely oc'able cpu due to its architecture and it was all around internet about it prior to release date

Yes - CPUs are being fried because ram modules are overvoltaged..
I thought enabling the PBO and adjusting the curve optimizer is overclocking though?

I only found out around the time the 7800X3D was reported burned on Reddit tbh.

I thought enabling the PBO and adjusting the curve optimizer is overclocking though?

I only found out around the time the 7800X3D was reported burned on Reddit tbh.
Overclocking is not considered as safe nor is promoted by parts manufacturers due to possibility of components getting damaged during process

Last edited:
Unlike flashing beta bioses overclocking is not considered as safe nor is promoted by parts manufacturers due to possibility of components getting damaged
But everyone is doing right? It's like owning a car and not being able to use sports mode.

Derbauer posted a video about warranties, and apparently even using "unsupported" coolers on AMD can void your warranty which is kind of funny. For the 7000 series that leaves about 6 water coolers and no air cooler solutions.

Of course in practice I doubt they'd question it but he comments on that too basically saying were forced to lie to them if they do ask about this stuff because of their odd disclaimers.

Derbauer posted a video about warranties, and apparently even using "unsupported" coolers on AMD can void your warranty which is kind of funny. For the 7000 series that leaves about 6 water coolers and no air cooler solutions.
I have just visited AMD's website and there is list of 17 aftermarket coolers recommended for AMD 7000 series cpu

Official list of AMD 7000 cpu coolers

Last edited:
Glad I didn't go with an ASUS board... sounds nothing but problems.

My current setup is a MSI B650 tomahawk with latest BIOS, memory EXPO oc enabled at 6000mhz and SOC does not go past 1.30v. I will start reducing it to 1.25 to be on the safe side.

I have just visited AMD's website and there is list of 17 aftermarket coolers recommended for AMD 7000 series cpu

Official list of AMD 7000 cpu coolers
Missed that the top ones were AM5 as well but they're less than 105W TDP so that basically means none of the X3D chips.

Technically I'm out of warranty for using a NH-D15 on a X3D cpu even though it's perfectly adequate, lol.

Seems a strange list. I'd have thought the Arctic Freezer II 360 would be enough for a 170W CPU.

It just feels incredibly arbitrary. The top end double tower air coolers are easily equal to many low-mid tier water coolers, some of which are even listed by them..

Last edited:
Missed that the top ones were AM5 as well but they're less than 105W TDP so that basically means none of the X3D chips.

Technically I'm out of warranty for using a NH-D15 on a X3D cpu even though it's perfectly adequate, lol.

It just feels incredibly arbitrary. The top end double tower air coolers are easily equal to many low-mid tier water coolers, some of which are even listed by them..
Yes there is very little in it between the top air and water coolers in practical terms. Look how well the cheap Peerless Assassin does.

it was not my suggestion. Asus with their ROG series clearly claim themselves as enthusiasts oriented company. They offer automatic oc features as well as solutions like liquid metal as thermal pastefrom factory. It shouldn't be also to anyone's surprise having slightly higher voltages applied from factory just to make for abovementioned ROG name and overclockability

Last edited:
it was not my suggestion. Asus with their ROG series clearly claim themselves as enthusiasts oriented company. They offer automatic oc features as well as solutions like liquid metal as thermal pastefrom factory. It shouldn't be also to anyone's surprise having slightly higher voltages applied from factory just to make for abovementioned ROG name and overclockability
You don't work for them do you?

Are people with a 7800X3D and an ASUS board confident the overvolting problems will be fixed with BIOS updates alone? I have a Tuf Gaming X670E-plus and am waiting for a full fix but am considering getting a different board, maybe an Asrock.

Sameboard but not x3d, but ive just set my own SOC voltage to 1.24v. Seems stable and i am some what confident lets say.

My PC boots to the windows lockscreen in 6 seconds, takes 3 seconds for me to type in my password, then startup programs take about 20 seconds, thats using a WD 850X nvme drive, with an ASUS x670e gene, 7900 non x and 32gb of RAM sort of expo enabled, but timings, speed, voltage etc entered manually, ive tried removing the 10 second windows explorer delay, but it doesnt seem to work on windows 11

I cant say i am expereince quick boot times with my board, i was under the impression memory context restore has to be enabled to give boot times a swift change on am5. But this can cause instabilty. Maybe its time to enable this again for myself to imrprove things

I've been using Memory Context Restore and had no issues with 6000C30 16gbx2. It's reduced the boot time down to what I experienced on AM4 before I upgraded.

Back
Top Bottom