• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D CPU Burns Up

cho

cho

Permabanned
Theres nothing unusual about that though people have been lying about overvolting their CPU's for years and RMA'ing them theres no way to tell if a chip has been mistreated it doesn't keep a log. This time the only difference is the potential number of returns which could be floods
I can't get how fried chip could be replaced with new one - it clearly hasn't been provided with correct working conditions - user's fault. If it is being RMA'd beacause it is misbehaving - higher then expected temperatures or unexplained instability - then it makes sense.

when it comes to motherboards - fault can be traced down to faulty component or in some instances result in verdicting of PSU failure - which again is user to blame for.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I can't get how fried chip could be replaced with new one - it clearly hasn't been provided with correct working conditions - user's fault. If it is being RMA'd beacause it is misbehaving - higher then expected temperatures or unexplained instability - then it makes sense.

While relatively unusual it is possible for manufacturing defects in a CPU to result in high current leakage destroying a chip setup and run at stock, etc.

Associate
Installed the 7800x3d today on my asus board.
works great.
while the old trusty 7600x worked really great the cache works better with the small test I did before and after.
I would love to see the gains you get as I was about to hit the button on a 7800X3D before all this happened and I still might as I know this will be sorted sooner rather than later.

Associate
I would love to see the gains you get as I was about to hit the button on a 7800X3D before all this happened and I still might as I know this will be sorted sooner rather than later.
the 7600x is a good chip.
path of exile due to the game push cpus a lot difference between the 7600x and 7800x3d is around 20 minimum fps using a flicker strike build that explode groups.
overall a slightly smoother experience playing.
If you have the money, go for it, if tight, wait for the market to drop the prices in a few months or a year when the zen5 comes out..
I play at 1440p, using a 6700xt and 32gb ram.

Associate
the 7600x is a good chip.
path of exile due to the game push cpus a lot difference between the 7600x and 7800x3d is around 20 minimum fps using a flicker strike build that explode groups.
overall a slightly smoother experience playing.
If you have the money, go for it, if tight, wait for the market to drop the prices in a few months or a year when the zen5 comes out..
I play at 1440p, using a 6700xt and 32gb ram.
Yea the 7700X was just a place holder for me until the 7800x3d arrived but as I say until all this blew up but I think your right, I might wait now until the say 8800x3d arrives or just wait to the price drops. At this stage now its a win win.

Associate
I mean I don't think anyone is suggesting this is new really. Just because it's not new doesn't make it any less of an issue that they advertise features which they use in their own marketing performance but then argue it voids warranty in the same breath. It doesn't really help them either, as it just means they get less information from the user for diagnostic purposes.

Yeah but they only have it listed for AM4 and AM5 under 105W TDP. That was the point. They're writing this fine print over non-supported coolers voiding warranty but then they're not being that great in keeping a coherent and clear updated list that makes sense.
Maybe it's a mistake and cooling solutions for 120w TDP are intended the same for both AM4 and AM5, otherwise there are no cooling solutions at all for 120w TDP AM5 cpus.

Associate
Maybe it's a mistake and cooling solutions for 120w TDP are intended the same for both AM4 and AM5, otherwise there are no cooling solutions at all for 120w TDP AM5 cpus.
I'm pretty sure the real answer is it just hasn't been updated for the X3D.

Prior to the X3Ds there wasn't a 120W TDP 7000 Series CPU as far as I'm aware. The 7700X is 105W and the 7900X/7950X is 170W.

Soldato
I did this rather frivolous upgrade. No obvious difference at 4k gaming, but that could change down the road. It's a cooler chip though, and I do some other occasional workloads where the extra cores are useful.

Man of Honour
I'm pretty sure the real answer is it just hasn't been updated for the X3D.

Prior to the X3Ds there wasn't a 120W TDP 7000 Series CPU as far as I'm aware. The 7700X is 105W and the 7900X/7950X is 170W.

Buildzoid recons a Wraith Prism would do the job ( if you had nothing better ) without thermal throttling.

Last edited:

cho

cho

Permabanned
Buildzoid recons a Wraith Prism would do the job ( if you had nothing better ) without thermal throttling.
in the context - I wouldn't recommend using them they're suitable for 7900 non x cpu's at maximum so it is 65TDP vs 7800x3d 120W - warranty void. Logical solution is to go for 170W recommendations - where's the problem?

Soldato
It’s a ridiculous situation.

Surely it isn’t legal to advertise a product at a certain performance level but then to tell a customer to reach that level of performance it’s no longer under warranty.

In some respects I think this situation is overblown via YouTube, there’s not been THAT many instances of dead CPU’s/boards. I’m not denying there’s a technical problem, clearly there is, but I do think it’s been a bit overblown. However on the other hand, it has highlighted some really dodgy practices, misrepresentation, poor pr and all the rest of it.

I said it weeks ago, but AMD shouldn’t be allowed to advertise a feature like EXPO so heavily and promote it with their partners etc only to then tell customers they are on their own and potentially out of warranty for using it. It’s crazy.

A few years ago I took a Ford Mustang 5.0 for a test drive and when I tried to put it in Track mode the sales guy said I cannot because doing so instantly voids the warranty (Ford states this in the conditions of buying the vehicle - Ford even states that this mode is unsafe and accidents caused while in Track mode may result in no insurance pay out)

Associate
Saw this on r/asus on Reddit. Mostly Intel boards one user said, but it's the brand reputation taking a hit.
3paq5zv7ywza1.jpg

Soldato
HW busters has tested the latest Gigabyte bios and found it does not work, while the Bios tries to limit SoC voltage to 1.3v - in reality the circuit is pushing 1.36v

I’ve mentioned this already, these guys are a little out of their depth. Which is ok, we’re not electrical engineers here. Measuring from the probe point or MLCC caps isn’t going to give you an accurate reading as to what is being received at the CPU die. This is because of the LLC set to account for resisted losses. The actual voltage at the die will be much closer to what is being set.

Last edited:
Soldato

cho

cho

Permabanned
HW busters has tested the latest Gigabyte bios and found it does not work, while the Bios tries to limit SoC voltage to 1.3v - in reality the circuit is pushing 1.36v

because Gigabyte has to do what everyone else does - but they don't really want to- is it ROG marketing that woke up overclockers around the world to perform?

Man of Honour
He ( HWBusters link ) said that his physical readings matched HWINFO, so the workaround IS to set it manually in this case.

HWinfo’s readings were inline with what I got from the labjack.

Doesn't excuse Gigabyte one bit for not getting it correct, especially when all mobo vendors are in the spotlight atm.

Last edited:
Soldato
He ( HWBusters link ) said that his physical readings matched HWINFO, so the workaround IS to set it manually in this case.

Doesn't excuse Gigabyte one bit for not getting it correct, especially when all mobo vendors are in the spotlight atm.
The value shown by HWINFO for SVI3 is taken from VRM telemetry. As well as the considerations in the post above, the value will depend on the load being placed on the CPU and the set LLC

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom