• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD ThreadRipper ***

Soldato
Sounds like it would be a good investment if you plan on using it in a warmer environment, rather than a temperature controlled office etc.

Yeah this is just at home. Although our house has good insulation (hence fairly warm in winter and not too hot in summer), our room temps can still easily hit late 20s in summer. I dare say I'd manage, especially as Realbench is hardly representative of a real world load per se (i.e. it's 'everything' at once and then some). But I priced up a custom loop using OcUK's configurator and for a decent thick rad you're looking between 300 and 400 all in. Can't complain really.

Associate
Can anyone advise me on what my options are to overclock my Ram to 3600Mhz?

Setting my 64gb of Corsair Vengeance Ram (4 Sticks) at these loose timings of 16-19-21-21-42 causes not a BSOD but hard freeze of the machine when memory testing.

I have 2 pairs of Corsair Vengeance RGB Ram (4x 16gb sticks). One is branded as pro the other is older non-pro version. They have different Corsair branding
and RGB lights, but Thaiphoon burner reports that they are all the same DRAM Samsung B-Die components: K4A8G085WB-BCPB.

They work in my Strix TRX-40-E motherboard perfectly stable at DOOCP 3200Mhz @ 16-18-18-36-1.35V. I used two of the sticks - 16gb (32GB total) on my old x370 board with a 3900x at 3600Mhz with 16-19-21-21-42 @ 1.39v. It worked fine.

Does 64gb require me to up the cas latency a bit? Looking at the prices of validated 64gb 3600 scares me, and I noted that they tend to run at CL17-18.

Soldato
Are you sure they're B-die tommo? My 8Pack B-die do 3600MHz 16,16,16,36 at DOCP/XMP. For 3200MHz it's 14,14,14,31. With timings that loose and a default/DOCP of 3200 it just may be that they're low bin and won't overclock any further. Remember that for RAM, 3200 is already an overclock - yours just might not have any more left in them.

Associate
You're right this isn't high end b-die, but it's just I got 3600 on a x370 board, and even though trx40 motherboards are new the Ryzen platform has matured since July and I thought it wouldn't be a challenge to overclock the ram even if it isn't top bin.

Man of Honour
Second radiator in now and it was all up and working. Not a fan of the fact the board doesn’t have a clear CMOS button. Ever since trying to put manual settings on the RAM I can’t get it to POST now even after clearing CMOS and going into the BIOS and setting it all to default.

Associate
I agree Chris, when I was trying to up memory speeds, some settings requires a cmos clear after boot failure and I had to short the pins old school style. Having said that you should be able to POST once you cleared the CMOS. Sometimes I have to short for 10 seconds plus just to be sure.

Man of Honour
Actually, I made an error. I didn't quite clear everything down so there was a divider active. My point stands about the clear CMOS button on the board, it seems such a simple omission for a board costing close to £500.

I think I need to watch some YouTube videos on Ryzen overclocking as I've only ever really known Intel.

Associate
Actually, I made an error. I didn't quite clear everything down so there was a divider active. My point stands about the clear CMOS button on the board, it seems such a simple omission for a board costing close to £500.

I think I need to watch some YouTube videos on Ryzen overclocking as I've only ever really known Intel.

I've noticed it missing from a few boards, considering how much I used it setting up my RAM, I'm not sure I could buy a board without it, though it is probably quite easy to rig a switch on a long bit of wire whilst sorting it out I suppose but yes, should be on all highend boards.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I used a momentary switch soldered to some jumper wires. Always have a couple made up in the "PC odds and sods drawer"

https://www.amazon.co.uk/5Pcs-SPST-...words=momentary+switch&qid=1575922547&sr=8-18
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ganvol-Sol..._10?keywords=jump+wire&qid=1575922588&sr=8-10

Man of Honour
I've just been told that my RAM has arrived and should be with me tomorrow. That means I can finish the lab as with only 32GB at present it's eating up everything and not performing well.

Shame the RAM is 3200, I'll have to see if I can get it to run at 3600 at 1:1 and then lower timings until it's all stable.

Man of Honour
It clears and then after reset it goes through the same loop again of not POSTing again.

In your bios is there a reset failure attempts setting? On one of my x399 boards, not sure what one the setting was high and so it boot looped a set number of times before resetting and landing you at the bios in default settings. I set that from like 6 to 1 and boom none of this hanging for ages while it tries to train memory. Fwiw I found a bit of LLC and soc voltage for memory and you're away at least that's how it worked on 1st gen. To be fair no amount of tweaking will get 8 sticks at my 3466 DCOP on my machine so I was stuck with hours of faffing to drag any performance out of it.

Soldato
Have my new ram (4x16gb Hynix MFR dual rank) running at 3600 C16 (DOCP) - passed memtest overnight no probs.

Pretty impressed tbh.

Nice. The better experience with memory really helps make TR3 shine imo. I had a similar one click experience with mine, albeit only 32GB for now (carried over from my old rig). I read that you don't have to turn down the mem speeds until significantly higher capacity, like 8x DIMMS at >128GB iirc. Impressive gains for a single generational leap either way.

Soldato
Another review by Steve at Hardware Unboxed. This time a more general TRX40 roundup focusing on VRM temps, including the Strix and Aorus Master (but no Pro Wifi). TL,DW: none of them are bad.

Back
Top Bottom