• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD ThreadRipper ***

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Well, colour me impressed with the way TR3 handles memory - pulled the timings in a little and bumped it up to 3733 with 1:1 IF lock - overnight pass of memtest. On Hynix MFR ram as well. Glad I didn't shell out for expensive B-Die stuff.

ry6Cs61.png

Soldato
Well, colour me impressed with the way TR3 handles memory - pulled the timings in a little and bumped it up to 3733 with 1:1 IF lock - overnight pass of memtest. On Hynix MFR ram as well. Glad I didn't shell out for expensive B-Die stuff.

Very nice. Does the bump to 3733 with looser timings work out any better than 3600 at tighter timings?

Stop posting cool **** on TR3, it's making me want to blow a silly amount of money on something I don't need :D

Of course you need it, you just haven't worked out what for yet. I needed it to be able watch YouTube and post on here at the same time (and run half a dozen VMs, compile code, transcode video, run a VPN at gigabit+ speeds and stuff, but meh)... :D

Man of Honour
Mine will be running a 20+ VMware homelab. And gaming.

VMs will be something like:
6+ ESXi nested virtual hosts running vSAN
DC
Veeam
Exchange
vCenter
vROps
VRLI
vRA
vRO
NSX-T

Probably some other stuff. With it all in VMware Workstation I can just close it and it'll suspend all of the VMs. I do probably need more storage at some point.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Very nice. Does the bump to 3733 with looser timings work out any better than 3600 at tighter timings?

Well, I can't get it stable at 3600C14, so I went up in freq instead and tightened some of the sub timings (stock for the ram is something like 16-19-19-19-39-85-680 and I've tightened to 16-19-19-19-38-60-480 while going from 1.35v to 1.4v). I'm not overly experienced on ram timings so not sure what else to change/tweak and the Ryzen DRAM calc doesn't really help as it only goes up to 3466mhz for Hynix MFR ram.

Soldato
Well, I can't get it stable at 3600C14, so I went up in freq instead and tightened some of the sub timings (stock for the ram is something like 16-19-19-19-39-85-680 and I've tightened to 16-19-19-19-38-60-480 while going from 1.35v to 1.4v). I'm not overly experienced on ram timings so not sure what else to change/tweak and the Ryzen DRAM calc doesn't really help as it only goes up to 3466mhz for Hynix MFR ram.

It's at a nice spot either way, you'll have no bother with that.

Man of Honour
Yeah. I wasn't very clear, sorry.

For a single VM the limit is 64 cores per socket and 2 sockets, at least that is the limit for each vm on my 64 thread rome hosts:

It also shows the correct amount of logical threads per node, the node below is on 6.7 update 2, my other 2 are running update 3, when I get a spare day ill vmotion all the machines and update the 3rd one:

It's the same with threadripper, even 1st gen.

You will need to upgrade the VM hardware compatibility level for the VM to allow an increase in core count if you're importing the VM from an earlier version of esxi. In the screenshot above you can could see that I upgraded the vm before the screenshot. Before the upgrade I could only assign 8 cores per socket.

Last edited:
Soldato
I finally made the jump to threadripper 3960x and was wondering what is the best program to test cpu stability. Everything is stock but I am on air cooling
with a TR4 dark rock Pro cpu cooler, have a nzxt kraken 360 AIO but right now everything is on a bench and don't want to install everything in the case with watercooling until I am sure it all works well.

Back
Top Bottom