• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD ThreadRipper ***

Soldato
Ouch. Just some basic numbers based on the current leaks and engineering samples... Assuming that the 7920X hits the same rumored speed as the 7900X rumored speed...

AMD 16 Core 32 Thread - 3.1Ghz and 3.6Ghz Boost
Intel 7920X 12 Core 24 Thread - 3.3Ghz and 4.3Ghz Boost

32 * 3.1 = 99.2
24 * 3.3 = 79.2

AMD 21% Advantage

32 * 3.6 = 115.2
24 * 4.3 = 103.2

AMD 11% Advantage

I don't believe that Skylake IPC is more than 10% Faster than Ryzen so if the ratios of these numbers stay the same to launch then AMD should take the overall performance crown here. We also know that the R7 chips boost to 4ghz so there is a good chance that Threadripper will be able to boost 4+ cores to at least that speed.

I don't know if Intel are going to be able to release a chip with more cores on the X399 socket but if they can't and AMD are also even a bit cheaper they should be on to some really serious levels of win.

Soldato
Best CPU name ever.
QFT.
Intel - We need a new name to excite people about our enthusiast range of chips what should we go with? How about... I9.... Wow, yeah they will never expect that.
AMD - Lisa Su - We heard some suggestions that a $1,600 10 core enthusiast part could beat our $500 Ryzen. Meet, Threadripper. Your move Intel.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Rumoured CPU lineup (buckets of salt at the ready):

8wuUNVt.jpg

** Do Not Hotlink **
EDIT - Whoops, could have sworn I pasted the imgur link, fixed it!

Last edited:
Soldato
Kabylake X looks pointless to me 4C 4T or 4C 8T, and probably more expensive motherboard, where is it logic there.

LOL, damn I just realised I have become an AMD fanboy. Because to me there would have to be a very special case scenario for any of those Intel systems to be attractive. Eagerly awaiting some trusted reviews of these because I am definitely on the hype train.

Soldato
So what AMD did in the last 5 years, is sort out the IPC of Bulldozer/Steamroller, develop their own version of hyperthreading and then come up with a design to modularise the CPU to go parallel with cores.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
Kabylake X looks pointless to me 4C 4T or 4C 8T, and probably more expensive motherboard, where is it logic there.

probably a case of they have developed them and will have the cpu's so may as well try and shift them if people are thinking about upgrading later down the line. dont forget they have been working on this for a while, and only coffee lake has been officially bumped up time table wise.

but id be baffled as to why anyone would buy a 4c8t cpu on this platform or any really unless they overclock like beast or have a huge ipc lead over amd. or they are priced extremely cheap to shift them.

Soldato
If they had a huge IPC advantage they wouldn't be called Skylake-X and Kaby Lake-X, they'd have a new name. Never has Intel improved IPC for the -EP/-E/-X version of a CPU.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom