• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD ThreadRipper ***

Soldato
Yes, Intel do 10+ core Xeons chips for much less than X99 8 core chips just because they run at lower clocks, AMD will probably do the same. They also need to keep the platform entry cost at or below Intel’s. I hope they do an 8-core version with more PCI-E lanes than the R7 chips, for me that’s the main problem with the x370 platform.

Soldato
Yes, Intel do 10+ core Xeons chips for much less than X99 8 core chips just because they run at lower clocks, AMD will probably do the same. They also need to keep the platform entry cost at or below Intel’s. I hope they do an 8-core version with more PCI-E lanes than the R7 chips, for me that’s the main problem with the x370 platform.
Xeons are locked though, so not comparable for enthusiasts.

Soldato
Xeons are locked though, so not comparable for enthusiasts.
Most people that get HEDT/workstations don’t overclock so that will not matter. AMD needs to price the entry level R9 CPU cheaper than Intel’s, if it's cheaper to go Intel, most will even if the AMD CPU is better.

Soldato
It's a almost certain they will be cheaper than Intel's offering, they need to get market share and the only way to do that is to have significantly higher performance for the same cost or the same performance for much cheaper. I'd put money on the 16c/32t chip being cheaper by a decent margin over intel's top chip.

Soldato
Makes you laugh considering they've yet to even release a decent microcode revision on the current platform. They're desperate to get this out before Intel. Vendors didn't even have working samples till just under 2 months ago.

Ryzen as a platform currently is OK at best at a competing value or rate. What it is not is a direct alternative, not until it works as intended. If one's usage deems it necessary to have 16 cores, then the appeal is there, but it's no means on a level if 370x is the benchmark.

Soldato
I wish I could disagree with you scone... But I'm starting to grow tired of waiting for them to get Ryzen properly sorted.

This new hedt sounds good and all, but is it going to be bullet proof?

I doubt it

Back
Top Bottom