• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD ThreadRipper ***

Associate
Videocardz has leaked the supposed threadripper line up
Comprises of a 16C, 12C and an 8C. Seems to have a low and high clocked version of each core count. I think the 8C version is a good move.
https://videocardz.com/71319/amd-ryzen-threadripper-1900-1900x-1920-and-1950-spotted

8 core threadripper at the £500-600 price point is an instant buy for me assuming it still has all those lovely pcie lanes, or at least enough for sli/crossfire at 16 lanes each and two x4 lanes for storage.

Soldato
Imho clock for clock with same Ram speed, (3200+) but on quad channel, I expect 8 core Threadripper to perform better.
Quad channel RAM is unlikely to give much benefit for most workloads. The real question is how the cores will be distributed and how that affects performance.

Soldato
What the **** is the point of an 8core? Surely thats a normal Ryzen, admittedly with added PCIE channels but more expensive.

(ok different chipset / different number of pins as well)

12 and 16 obviously make sense, but I just cant work out why the 8 core makes any sense at all

Its for those who need a lot of PCIE lanes but not a lot of cores.

8 core threadripper at the £500-600 price point is an instant buy for me assuming it still has all those lovely pcie lanes, or at least enough for sli/crossfire at 16 lanes each and two x4 lanes for storage.

Judging by EPYC yes it will have 64 PCIE lanes

Quad channel RAM is unlikely to give much benefit for most workloads. The real question is how the cores will be distributed and how that affects performance.

4 per CCX. I think it was confirmed that they can only be symmetrical.

Back
Top Bottom