• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD ThreadRipper ***

Soldato
Anyone who cheapens out on TIM on £800+ CPU, doesn't deserve it......
(ofc this thing needs whole tube of TG Kryonaut so I can understand anyone who goes for Prolimatech PK-3)

yours turned up in 2 days o.o?

On that I am impressed also. Still waiting the guy to clean the front gutters one week later

Last edited:
Caporegime
It's probaby been mentioned but a competitor has Threadripper systems available for pre-order, 1920X 12c = £800, 1950X 16c = £1000. Not particularly good value compared to Ryzen 7 but makes Intel look like a trip to Harrods.

Associate
It's probaby been mentioned but a competitor has Threadripper systems available for pre-order, 1920X 12c = £800, 1950X 16c = £1000. Not particularly good value compared to Ryzen 7 but makes Intel look like a trip to Harrods.

Systems or CPUs? But yes, that sounds about right I'm afraid.

Soldato

No but they aren't made to be good value they are HEDT. And if you compare them to intels HEDT then you will see that they do look like good value in comparison. But as im sure you already know they aren't for every day users not by a long shot.

Soldato
Videocardz has leaked the supposed threadripper line up
Comprises of a 16C, 12C and an 8C. Seems to have a low and high clocked version of each core count. I think the 8C version is a good move.
https://videocardz.com/71319/amd-ryzen-threadripper-1900-1900x-1920-and-1950-spotted

What the **** is the point of an 8core? Surely thats a normal Ryzen, admittedly with added PCIE channels but more expensive.

(ok different chipset / different number of pins as well)

12 and 16 obviously make sense, but I just cant work out why the 8 core makes any sense at all

Soldato
What the **** is the point of an 8core? Surely thats a normal Ryzen, admittedly with added PCIE channels but more expensive.

12 and 16 obviously make sense, but I just cant work out why the 8 core makes any sense at all

again as has been said many times in this tread. This isn't a every day consumer chip its a hedt chip.... With this you pay a premium for certain feature sets + they offer the point of future upgrade ability. Buy 8 core on TR and you can go much higher in the future. Go 8 core on ryzen and you are stuck with that unless you change platform entirely.

Soldato
again as has been said many times in this tread. This isn't a every day consumer chip its a hedt chip.... With this you pay a premium for certain feature sets + they offer the point of future upgrade ability. Buy 8 core on TR and you can go much higher in the future. Go 8 core on ryzen and you are stuck with that unless you change platform entirely.

But if you buy sensibly you wont be replacing in the same chipset / family anyway so thats pretty irrelevant. Any TR will last 3 -4 years if you spec it right to start with.

The likelyhood that the chipset spec will make a difference to majority who buy it is slim, the core count will count for more imo

For the difference in CPU cost, Im not convinced at all its worthy of AMD 's time to overlap the families like this

its also pretty questionable whether Ryzen is consumer or HEDT anyway, 8 core Ryzen is by no means standard consumer level

Man of Honour
If it was me putting the Tim on i think i'd be spreading it nice and thin with a credit card....................get the whole IHS covered then.

Would seem like the best approach to me - but you'd need a paste designed for manual spreading as well to get best results.

Soldato
Would seem like the best approach to me - but you'd need a paste designed for manual spreading as well to get best results.

Both Gelic GC extreme and TG Kryonaut come with spatula or spatula attached to the tube.
Personally I am stuck with Kryonaut quite some time now, but given it's price and the size of the Threadripper, ain't going to spend £20 every time I have to put the heatsink on it. So Prolimatech PK-3 is just as good (around 0.8C worse) but has 3 times better price/quantity ratio.

Soldato
But if you buy sensibly you wont be replacing in the same chipset / family anyway so thats pretty irrelevant. Any TR will last 3 -4 years if you spec it right to start with.

The likelyhood that the chipset spec will make a difference to majority who buy it is slim, the core count will count for more imo

For the difference in CPU cost, Im not convinced at all its worthy of AMD 's time to overlap the families like this

its also pretty questionable whether Ryzen is consumer or HEDT anyway, 8 core Ryzen is by no means standard consumer level

Except they have already said that the socket will have a life of 4-5 years so with that we would be on Zen3 where we will be talking of going from 3.5Ghz to 5.0Ghz standard clock with 7nm+ by then so really it does make sense.

Also its not questionable what's consumer or HEDT.

Ryzen regsrdless of flavour is still consumer and as such in that price bracket. Not sure why you would suggest otherwise in honesty other than just becsuse their competitor isn't providing a similar chip?

Caporegime

i guess it comes down to how fast it is . also how fast it is as what people use it for.still no benchmarks yet.people are basing its amazing cause of more cores.what if its slower than intel counterpart at 85 percent of things it does ?

Back
Top Bottom