• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD ThreadRipper ***

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I think many will. Do so many people really do content creation, virtualisation? Probably a large % buying wont be doing much of either, just gaming, but want a powerful future proof PC.
I still do VM work on a quad core and it's actually fast enough for one guest OS.

I think it's kind of irrelevant anyway. Too much has been made of "Threadripper is **** at gaming" when the difference is often in low single digit percentages, esp at higher res's that a HEDT customer will be playing at (I think Toms Hardware said the average was just 5fps). In reality, Threadripper is still a VERY good CPU to game on - but it's awesome at REAL WORK as well.

Soldato
Equally depends on how much " real work" you're doing lol. If you're a self-professed content creator and simply looking to process some work whilst gaming, then R7 or i9 do that ok, too. It's subjective, but for most people here I think the answer is it's a "nice place to be".

Associate
I don't see the issue buying these even if gaming is your main use. As stated above this is an enthusiasts forum and for me that means buying into a platform you can afford and are excited about. That's all that matter really, not if you are gaming or not.

Soldato
The fastest gaming rig != fastest CPU, extra cores/threads are meaningless in the majority of games.

I would hope anybody dropping ££££ they wanted just for gaming would know that ;)

Soldato
in gaming reviews seen many benchmarks of it destroying it.once overclocked.i understand you just got one.enjoy it.im not saying its a bad cpu im just saying it not the fastest and many people at up marketing.

7700K destroys Skylake X by that logic. Skylake X sucks.

As for 3.7-3.8 being the normal overclock, that is completely false. The chips in Threadripper are the top 5% of Ryzen chips and that is why they can hit 4.2ghz through XFR on up to 4 cores. There are reviews where they have managed to take the 1920X to over 4.1ghz which was not possible on Ryzen.

Threadripper will hit 4ghz with ease.

As for your Intel fanboy posts in general, the delusion is just hilarious.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
The fastest gaming rig != fastest CPU, extra cores/threads are meaningless in the majority of games.

I would hope anybody dropping ££££ they wanted just for gaming would know that ;)

What if you wanted the best all in one rig (gaming, streaming, VMs, media work etc...)?

Caporegime
7700K destroys Skylake X by that logic. Skylake X sucks.

As for 3.7-3.8 being the normal overclock, that is completely false. The chips in Threadripper are the top 5% of Ryzen chips and that is why they can hit 4.2ghz through XFR on up to 4 cores. There are reviews where they have managed to take the 1920X to over 4.1ghz which was not possible on Ryzen.

Threadripper will hit 4ghz with ease.

As for your Intel fanboy posts in general, the delusion is just hilarious.

So 8pack is full of it then in your opinion?

The 4ghz stable chips are very very rare

Caporegime
How long were the chips being used under load at 4ghz in those reviews? Quick burst of a few benchmarks isn't stability testing and whilst they may be binned Ryzen chips they're using far more cores which in every other CPU I've seen results in lower top end overclocks within the same family.

Soldato
How long were the chips being used under load at 4ghz in those reviews? Quick burst of a few benchmarks isn't stability testing and whilst they may be binned Ryzen chips they're using far more cores which in every other CPU I've seen results in lower top end overclocks within the same family.

So now we are going to second guess every review? What evidence do you have?

Reviews managed to get Ryzen overclocks spot on. 3.9 for non-X chips and 4.0 for X chips.

Caporegime
So now we are going to second guess every review? What evidence do you have?

I'm not second guessing their review I'm asking you how some burst runs on benchmarks are a form of stability? I'd quite happily be proven wrong if someone can show me a test where loads of 4ghz threadrippers have been run through heavy load tasks for hours on end at that speed as that's what many will be using these chips for.

My evidence is the guy who regularly overclocks all kinds of CPU's and goes through many of them so usually knows what the average chip will do. @8pack

Soldato
I'm not second guessing their review I'm asking you how some burst runs on benchmarks are a form of stability? I'd quite happily be proven wrong if someone can show me a test where loads of 4ghz threadrippers have been run through heavy load tasks for hours on end at that speed as that's what many will be using these chips for.

My evidence is the guy who regularly overclocks all kinds of CPU's and goes through many of them so usually knows what the average chip will do.

Who says they didnt do a stress test? Its the same for every chip. I haven't seen reviews (on average) get the overclock potential wrong before. So why start now.

Either way 3.7-3.8 being average overclock is completely wrong. 3.9 I could have believed if reviews were getting 4.0 and in reality it needs to be pegged back a bit.

Every Ryzen chip can hit 3.8. To now suddenly to say the binned Ryzen chips can only hit 3.7 is simply farfetched. It is not plausible and I dont care who says it.

Soldato

My evidence is the guy who regularly overclocks all kinds of CPU's and goes through many of them so usually knows what the average chip will do. @8pack

Tbf 8pack said himself in the video the binning process for the x299 is 15mins of realbench and 15 mins of non avx prime. Hardly hours of heavy load as you say.

Caporegime
Who says they didnt do a stress test? Its the same for every chip. I haven't seen reviews (on average) get the overclock potential wrong before. So why start now.

Well that's what I'm asking isn't it, I'm sure if they've stressed the chips thoroughly at those speeds they would have mentioned it? I'm not bashing on threadripper here, the 0.1-0.2ghz difference means little to me if I get one, I just dared to question whether a consistent 4ghz overclock is achievable as 8pack stated otherwise.

Tbf 8pack said himself in the video the binning process for the x299 is 15mins of realbench and 15 mins of non avx prime. Hardly hours of heavy load as you say.

But he also said 4ghz is very very rare?

Back
Top Bottom