• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD ThreadRipper ***

Caporegime
you got amd pro people respecting nvidia for saying what they did.obvious marketing ploy.:confused:

they could go amd cpu amd gpu. now people think oooh amd cpu and nvidia gpu best combo.not hard to work out :p

real funny thing about this is over most benchies intel still infront. marketing, amd is doing great things. turning people on their cpus.well done! then other cpus come in from intel make their mark and all that marketing will have those who lapped it up change to value for amd :p

i really have to commend amd on the marketing really has changed last few years.used to be silly mess ups now really focused and winning customers with what they doing.nicely done.

Soldato
So to summarise.

Gaming performance pretty much the same as the 1800X, maybe a couple of percent better. Which means it is maybe 10% behind the 7700K but less so against the 7900X/7820X.

Rendering, video editing, cryptographic and other core heavy usage cases the 1950X/1920X destroy their Intel counterparts.

Power consumption is very competitive depending on work loads. Power consumption numbers based on real world applications tend to show it outperforming the 7900X whilst synthetic stress programs show it equal to slightly higher (but maintains a strong perf/watt lead as these synthetic tools manage to extract the greatest performance from Threadripper).

Cooling wise it looks like it is <80C at stock which is great.

Overclocking to 4ghz is easy as these are cherry picked Ryzen chips but anything more isn't worth the heat or power consumption. Against an overclocked 7900X/7820X which become very hot and power hungry, the 1920X/1950X keep their massive lead in core heavy usage cases.

Features wise you get 64 PCI-E lanes instead of 44/28 for the 7900X/7820X.

Last edited:
Caporegime
So to summarise.

Gaming performance pretty much the same as the 1800X, maybe a couple of percent better. Which means it is maybe 10% behind the 7700K but less so against the 7900X/7820X.

Rendering, video editing, cryptographic and other core heavy usage cases the 1950X/1920X destroy their Intel counterparts.

Power consumption is very competitive depending on work loads. Power consumption numbers based on real world applications tend to show it outperforming the 7900X whilst synthetic stress programs show it equal to slightly higher (but maintains a strong perf/watt lead as these synthetic tools manage to extract the greatest performance from Threadripper).

Cooling wise it looks like it is <80C at stock which is great.

Overclocking to 4ghz is easy as these are cherry picked Ryzen chips but anything more isn't worth the heat or power consumption. Against an overclocked 7900X/7820X which become very hot and power hungry, the 1920X/1950X keep their massive lead in core heavy usage cases.

Features wise you get 64 PCI-E lanes instead of 44/28 for the 7900X/7820X.

much of what you wrote is totally false but hey lets go with it.:p 8pack said realistically 3.7-3.8 ghz is what you will get. so if you in the market for close to a grand cpu do you pick a 3.7 ghz cpu which is what you will get (99 percent will ) or bit more for a i9 7900x at 4.7-4.8 pretty much guarenteed. it depends on what your use is.there is many gaming benchmarks that show even the 7820x destroying the threadripper chips by huge margins once overclocked.thats the thing if the chips are overclocked in benchmarks or not . stock vs stock it will be closer battles but overclocked intels have the edge.especially in real world stuff most of us do.

if you pull out the bs of marketing the intel will beat it 8/10 at the speeds you will actually achieve vs the speeds you will actually achieve from the amd chips.that why you pad a grand for it.not 800.

Deleted member 66701

Deleted member 66701

Are you even reading the Threadripper reviews Dg? 7820X destroying Threadripper? You're full of lols.

Caporegime
in gaming reviews seen many benchmarks of it destroying it.once overclocked.i understand you just got one.enjoy it.im not saying its a bad cpu im just saying it not the fastest and many people at up marketing.

Deleted member 66701

Deleted member 66701

in gaming reviews seen many benchmarks of it destroying it.once overclocked.i understand you just got one.enjoy it.im not saying its a bad cpu im just saying it not the fastest and many people at up marketing.

Gaming reviews? For the love of God! I bet you're looking at 1080p benches as well aren't you?

Show me a 7820X destroying Threadripper in 3dsmax, blender, after effects, handbrake, particle simulation, fluid dynamics or seismology simulation then we'll start talking.

Hell, if you really are obsessed with gaming then I'll throw you a bone - show me a 7820X playing a game while recording with obs and rendering a previous video outperforming Threadripper and I'll conced that a 7820X "smashes" Threadripper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
you win. too tiring. already done the tests. know which is quicker overall for every day usual use.if i show its quicker.then it becomes price arguments.its just not worth debating on the internets.

Deleted member 66701

Deleted member 66701

you win. too tiring. already done the tests. know which is quicker overall for every day usual use.if i show its quicker.then it becomes price arguments.its just not worth debating on the internets.

Everyday usual use? Threadripper isn't for everyday usual use. And as for showing it's (7820X) quicker (for the use/apps I listed above) you can't, because it isn't.

I think you've entirely missed the point of Threadripper or why creators like me want one.

Maybe PC worlds threadripper review conclusion will help you :-

In every single multithreaded test we ran (including multitasking multithreaded tests), Threadripper 1950X outpaced all comers by significant margins. It simply destroys any 8-core CPU and makes you question how the 10-core Core i9-7900X can dare to be priced the same as the Threadripper 1950X.

This last point is very much the entire reason for Threadripper 1950X’s existence. Frankly, no one should buy a $1,000, 16-core CPU just to play conventional gaming or run lightly threaded applications. It’s the wrong tool for the job.

You buy a 16-core CPU for work. Real work. Real work means modelling, encoding, and doing five things simultaneously, because it’s work.

For that, Threadripper 1950X is an incredible breakthrough in performance and cost.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
When application uses all the cores it ***** on every single intel cpu lol Now pathetic gaming industry is limited to 4 cores hence why 7700k with its high clock is still the champion. Buying this multi core cpus for gaming is stupidity tbh, 7700K will kill all high core cpus including i9 in most benchs. Does that mean 7700k is the best cpu ? No. Only thing that it tells us is how lazy game developers are

Soldato
real funny thing about this is over most benchies intel still infront. marketing, amd is doing great things. turning people on their cpus.well done! then other cpus come in from intel make their mark and all that marketing will have those who lapped it up change to value for amd

i really have to commend amd on the marketing really has changed last few years.used to be silly mess ups now really focused and winning customers with what they doing.nicely done.

What's all this sour grapes and sarcastic congratulation.

Really low to post this kind of thing just to bait arguments.

Is it so hard to make a honest post without backhand comments about anyone that doesn't agree with you.

Man of Honour
When application uses all the cores it ***** on every single intel cpu lol Now pathetic gaming industry is limited to 4 cores hence why 7700k with its high clock is still the champion. Buying this multi core cpus for gaming is stupidity tbh, 7700K will kill all high core cpus including i9 in most benchs. Does that mean 7700k is the best cpu ? No. Only thing that it tells us is how lazy game developers are

There are a lot of lazy game developers but games tend to have some core areas like the code that handles the game logic which have bottlenecks of highly serial nature and very non-trivial to get any kind of threaded approach working faster than one thread. You can load up additional cores with things like more advanced AI, complex sound simulations, physics, etc. but there is pretty much always going to be some serial bottlenecks.

Soldato

But who in their right mind would be buying a Threadripper for gaming, that's not what it's about!

HEDT is not about gaming, it's for content creation, virtualisation etc etc.

Associate
There are a lot of lazy game developers but games tend to have some core areas like the code that handles the game logic which have bottlenecks of highly serial nature and very non-trivial to get any kind of threaded approach working faster than one thread. You can load up additional cores with things like more advanced AI, complex sound simulations, physics, etc. but there is pretty much always going to be some serial bottlenecks.

I also think that in a lot of cases optimising for high core counts wouldn't be worth the effort, and not just because of the market numbers. If a game runs great on 4 threads, its likely not worth it to make it run even better on more than 4 threads. That being said, I do think that everyone having access to more cores and threads means that game engines will be able to do more in the future. Bigger open worlds with more stuff in them :)

Soldato
But who in their right mind would be buying a Threadripper for gaming, that's not what it's about!

HEDT is not about gaming, it's for content creation, virtualisation etc etc.
I think many will. Do so many people really do content creation, virtualisation? Probably a large % buying wont be doing much of either, just gaming, but want a powerful future proof PC.
I still do VM work on a quad core and it's actually fast enough for one guest OS.

Permabanned
I think many will. Do so many people really do content creation, virtualisation? Probably a large % buying wont be doing much of either, just gaming, but want a powerful future proof PC.
I still do VM work on a quad core and it's actually fast enough for one guest OS.

Yes, a lot of people do and now there is an extremely viable alternative.

Back
Top Bottom