• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD ThreadRipper ***

Soldato
No because the 7700K only has 28 PCIe Lanes, thats nothing like enough for a lot of people. 64 tho is.

Same for the 7820X, as he said they don't have enough.

I must be missing something here, ark lists the 7740x as having 16 lanes and the x299 chipset has 24.
The 7700k has 16 and the z270 has 24. So they're the same, no?

Caporegime
I must be missing something here, ark lists the 7740x as having 16 lanes and the x299 chipset has 24.
The 7700k has 16 and the z270 has 24. So they're the same, no?

Right, my bad i have my own CPU on my Brain... the 16 Lanes on the CPU are Graphics lanes, the 24 on the Chipset are Peripheral.

So that's one GPU running x16 or two running x8.

Threadripper has 64 PCIe 3 Lanes on the CPU, 60 can run GPU's and or Peripheral's, the other 4 are for the Chipset which support extra Peripherals.

Soldato
Right, my bad i have my own CPU on my Brain... the 16 Lanes on the CPU are Graphics lanes, the 24 on the Chipset are Peripheral.

So that's one GPU running x16 or two running x8.

Threadripper has 64 PCIe 3 Lanes on the CPU, 60 can run GPU's and or Peripheral's, the other 4 are for the Chipset which support extra Peripherals.

Yeah I think we've got our wires crossed lol. I was asking why his uni chose the 7740x over the 7700k as theyre the same thing.

Soldato
I might be wrong but I think Amigafan is saying his Uni are buying Threadripper 1900X's for the extra PCI lanes.

Ah, yes. Going back and reading it slowly I can see that now. Night shifts destroy my head!

Because an Intel rep told his Uni to do that?

Intel's sales reps are very well paid if they sell lots of Chips to people who don't need them. the silly prices on the chips pay for the best blaggers...

I can't say I've ever seen one and this is the first I hear of this but I am not surprised by it. You all need £8k xeons!

HeX

HeX

Soldato
AMD announces NVMe RAID for Threadripper, no additional cost

48zFH8L.png

• it's bootable

• 10 devices require a riser card with clock buffer in x16 slot. One such card counts as 1 device for the limit of 7 PCI-E devices. It's unknown right now if Asus Hyper M.2 X16 card works on Threadripper.

• this will require a new version of UEFI – RAID on CPU is governed by UEFI plugin. Roll out might be delayed for certain motherboards.

• RAID 0, 1, 1+0 will be available.

• no requirement on SSD brand

Doh - just seen it's been posted already. :o

Soldato
Well that's just awesome, NVMe raid for zero cost coupled with the extra PCI-E lanes has buried Intel for my next dev project. Was using a 16x card with 4x m.2 slots on as individual drives with X99, being able to have RAID 0/1 as well, stonking! :D

Caporegime
https://seekingalpha.com/article/41...a7d54b100cb17a549d5f255878c52b6&uprof=55#alt1

AMD Overtook Intel in August
Thanks to growing sales for Ryzen 7 and Threadripper contributing to a significant amount of revenue, chances are good that AMD will report profit margins exceeding its forecast. AMD 1700X prices fell last month, leading to sales not seen since March. Still, sales of Intel’s popular 7700K (Core i7) CPU may be falling as consumers wait for the next iteration of chips, code-named Coffee Lake. These chips will have 50% more cores than the 7700K and will retail for around the same price. Intel said Coffee Lake chips will be available sometime in the Fall.

At #######, a German retailer, monthly sales of Ryzen CPUs surpassed that of Intel’s i3/i5/i7 Core processors:

71188_15044057322207_r_Id7.png

In the chart above (source), notice the drop-off in i7 7700K revenue (purple bar). Conversely, i7 1800X revenue (pink) climbed steadily. Since its introduction, revenue for both the Ryzen R3 (BLUE), which targets the budget market, and Ryzen R5, which targets the mid-market, nearly doubled since their introduction.

Its only one retailer but still a window into what's going on, given that global sales statistics are hard to find....

It seems that Jun and July there has not actually been a lot of difference in Intel vs AMD sales numbers, and whatever the reason may or may not be, its good to see AMD over taking Intel in August (54% AMD - 46% Intel), yes no doubt when Coffee Lake launches it will change back but i think the days of Intel enjoying a high degree of sales dominance are gone.

One other very big 'but unmentionable here' global retailer consistently has Ryen CPU's in the top 5.

Once Coffee Lake drops at the same price as Kaby Lake i can see AMD CPU's becoming even cheaper in responce so if Intel think Coffee Lake will put AMD back in their box they have another shock coming, all it will do is serve to lower the cost of CPU's, just what we all want, cheap CPU's :D

PS; since launch the 1950X is consistently outselling the 7900X, interesting....

Last edited:

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Premier Pro and After Effects. Nothing major, but I'll know more about the requirements when I go back to work in two weeks time (I'll be lecturing at HE in Digital Media Technologies, but we don't usually run the video production module until January - landing that role was one of the main drivers of this TR build).

Associate
Premier Pro and After Effects. Nothing major, but I'll know more about the requirements when I go back to work in two weeks time (I'll be lecturing at HE in Digital Media Technologies, but we don't usually run the video production module until January - landing that role was one of the main drivers of this TR build).
Great stuff, and congratulations on the new role. Maybe you could try out DaVinci Resolve and Fusion as an alternative to Premiere Pro/AE as they’re both free for the base versions and both still are traditional licences for the paid versions, plus it would be great for the students you teach to learn that it is not only Adobe out there whom provide professional digital media software tools. Respect.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Maybe you could try out DaVinci Resolve and Fusion as an alternative to Premiere Pro/AE

We're an accredited Adobe training provider, so not really ;)

Back
Top Bottom