• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD what you doing to fight off Alderlake?

Associate
Only an issue on the top 12900k the rest run pretty reasonably for temps and the non K parts will will use even less when those arrive.

Definitely looks that way, Intel clearly focussed on the 12900K, sending that to reviewers for the table-topping halo performance and not the 12700K which is nearly as impressive but much more efficient. It still consumes more power than AMD equivalents but that's mitigated by the performance advantage. An impressive showing, really highlights the benefits proper competition can produce.

Soldato
I don’t think W11 has anything to do with it. The platform cost seems to the only answer.

I wouldn't be surprised if W11 does affect some sales, only tiny numbers but some number of people will avoid a new Windows release for a good while before switching... Hell some people even still try to cling to W7 :p

But yeah for most it's either the platform cost or Ryzen mindshare I'd imagine.

Man of Honour
I wouldn't be surprised if W11 does affect some sales, only tiny numbers but some number of people will avoid a new Windows release for a good while before switching... Hell some people even still try to cling to W7 :p

But yeah for most it's either the platform cost or Ryzen mindshare I'd imagine.

Meh Windows 10 is pretty trash if you need an OS you can rely on for a broad range of tasks - I've a bunch of Windows 10 systems despite my sig including an 11th gen setup, 10870H laptop and various tablets including a couple of GPD Pockets. But for my day to day requirements I have no choice but to stick to Windows 7, Windows 10 is totally and utterly unsuitable, and it is an untenable position in the longer run - hence some of my anger towards MS and the dip***** who are the so called developers on the OS. (I often end up resorting as now to using a creaking old Windows 8 tablet due to how often I end up fighting Windows 10 on my newer tablets).

An OS should at its core be about enabling the end user not treating them as a product. It might be a different situation if Windows didn't occupy the market position it does and using another product was a realistic proposition.

Caporegime
Meh Windows 10 is pretty trash if you need an OS you can rely on for a broad range of tasks - I've a bunch of Windows 10 systems despite my sig including an 11th gen setup, 10870H laptop and various tablets including a couple of GPD Pockets. But for my day to day requirements I have no choice but to stick to Windows 7, Windows 10 is totally and utterly unsuitable, and it is an untenable position in the longer run - hence some of my anger towards MS and the dip***** who are the so called developers on the OS. (I often end up resorting as now to using a creaking old Windows 8 tablet due to how often I end up fighting Windows 10 on my newer tablets).

An OS should at its core be about enabling the end user not treating them as a product. It might be a different situation if Windows didn't occupy the market position it does and using another product was a realistic proposition.

Its a shame Linux isn't more user friendly, for all the crap with windows it has that going for it.

Take Ubuntu, the bundled zip tool is cumbersome to use and incompatible with just about every main format, so you install 7Zip, given it is an open source tool you would think its easy to install, nope..... it requires the use of Terminal (CMD in Windows) some coding knowledge and trouble shooting experience as most of the source depositaries you find online are out of date or broken.

Even if you do get it working there are no context menus or GUI, again you have to use Terminal and if you don't have basic knowledge of that, like mounting containers ecte.... you have no chance with using it.

Last edited:
Associate
I still use 7 along with 10 on my Ryzen builds ..just this week tested a 5900x under 7 works fine .. However i had to inject the usb drivers into the win 7 ISO otherwise it drops out upon install using a USB pen guess i could have gone old school with a dvd but eh ... 7 to me just feels more responsive than 10 always as..

Man of Honour
I still use 7 along with 10 on my Ryzen builds ..just this week tested a 5900x under 7 works fine .. However i had to inject the usb drivers into the win 7 ISO otherwise it drops out upon install using a USB pen guess i could have gone old school with a dvd but eh ... 7 to me just feels more responsive than 10 always as..

Some of the newer Intel CPUs you lose functionality under 7 as well as the complications of getting drivers for USB, etc. installed properly in the setup chain.

I spent hours last month sorting a problem with a Windows 10 laptop because once it had been idle for 5 minutes the system process would use up 1 core 100% endlessly doing file indexing and the malware protection engine doing stuff but it never stopped - hour after hour causing the fans to spin up - no one wants a laptop sitting there with the fans screaming constantly... not the first time I've encountered that kind of issue with 10 and probably won't be the last.

Soldato

Depends what you are doing but I’ve found Win 8.1 offers the most performance.

Soldato

I may or may not have been thinking of you when I added the W7 bit :D sorry not sorry :p

I'm no fan of W10 but use it, to me my Windows installs are just non-important/relaxing stuff, I only really need it for games and so I take the path of least resistance, which is W10 for me. W7 was nicer to use though and I left that upgrade until right to the 'end' of the free upgrade.

Its a shame Linux isn't more user friendly, for all the crap with windows it has that going for it.

Take Ubuntu, the bundled zip tool is cumbersome to use and incompatible with just about every main format, so you install 7Zip, given it is an open source tool you would think its easy to install, nope..... it requires the use of Terminal (CMD in Windows) some coding knowledge and trouble shooting experience as most of the source depositaries you find online are out of date or broken.

Even if you do get it working there are no context menus or GUI, again you have to use Terminal and if you don't have basic knowledge of that, like mounting containers ecte.... you have no chance with using it.

Do you watch LTT btw? They've just started doing some Linux 'challenge' videos (and discussion on the WAN show) which could be interesting, he/they are definitely more entertainment than tech really but still...

I actually heard Linus mention the Ubuntu GUI archive manager the other day and I'd forgotten how bad it was :p

I use Linux every day, and it's by far my preferred OS. But! I'm also an embedded Linux software engineer, so not only do I have to but also I spend me life on the command line and with an intimate knowledge of the underlying system, so for me it's very easy to live in the terminal so to speak and I forget how bad it can get outside that...

You use 7zip as an example, I assume that's for a GUI version, I think '7z' the CLI version should be installed by default. Not saying I expect a 'normal' (even technical/competent) user to actually use that though, and it even has some really annoying quirks, like "7z e <file>" extracts the file, great, but *without* the folder structure... Who does that? So you need to use "7z x <file>" to get the folder structure. Ugh.

It's actually got to the point I've got a function I've written/defined in Bash called 'extract' which just handles whatever weird flags for the different files rather than remembering the various options for all the different archive tools.

But again, that shouldn't be the expected use case for users, obviously :p

Caporegime
I'm someone who uses Windows but keeps going back to Linux hoping to find it..... more like Windows, i know i know i'm already hiding in the corner, go easy on me :o

I recognise that Linux is a much better system, it also makes for better use of your hardware, Windows doesn't seem to like any hardware that has above average levels of resources, it just seems to want to dumb your hardware down and equalise everything.

I also like the unlocked nature of Linux, Microsoft seem to be getting more and more like Apple with each generation,
"Why would you want separate explorer windows in the task bar? Oh because its a faster more fluid workflow than cycling through task bar thumbnails? Well we think it looks untidy so we removed your ability to do that"

What i'm looking for is Linux..... with click install and to know all my games will work in it. i know that's a lot to ask.

I am watching LTT with their Linux experiment, i'm very interested to see what they conclude and say about it.

Soldato
It kinda shouldn't be a lot to ask, but is :p

I think the issue largely lies with people like me, I love Linux and happily daily drive it, but I have no interest in making it easier for others (Yep, I'm a git) or bothering to get games working...

That's kinda the only explanation for things like the archive manager you mentioned. Ubuntu is *the* n00b distro, but elements like that are so bad/barely functional that it's no surprise that people find it tricky. I know a few people who have worked for Canonical, very talented engineers who could easily fix it but probably never actually use it in a day-to-day situations to see how bad it is, because they'll use the CLI.

So yeah...

I do wonder what effect the SteamDeck will have, I expect that to be popular and bring game support either via Wine/Proton or actually/eventually more native support. But that's not going to fix the 'general computing' side of things, which don't get me wrong I think is actually really close to being good/better than Windows, but still has enough quirks to put people off.

Caporegime
It kinda shouldn't be a lot to ask, but is :p

I think the issue largely lies with people like me, I love Linux and happily daily drive it, but I have no interest in making it easier for others (Yep, I'm a git) or bothering to get games working...

That's kinda the only explanation for things like the archive manager you mentioned. Ubuntu is *the* n00b distro, but elements like that are so bad/barely functional that it's no surprise that people find it tricky. I know a few people who have worked for Canonical, very talented engineers who could easily fix it but probably never actually use it in a day-to-day situations to see how bad it is, because they'll use the CLI.

So yeah...

I do wonder what effect the SteamDeck will have, I expect that to be popular and bring game support either via Wine/Proton or actually/eventually more native support. But that's not going to fix the 'general computing' side of things, which don't get me wrong I think is actually really close to being good/better than Windows, but still has enough quirks to put people off.

A mate of mine is a Linux only user, he said pretty much the same thing, he said he doesn't want Linux to be mainstream, he is also a PC gamer, which is a problem being a Linux fan.
He has tried, genuinely tried to get on with Windows, so he can play more games with us, but it was too painful for him :D I think it made him very ill.....

I have high expectations for Linux gaming because of the Steam Deck, he is far more sceptical, but hopeful.

Soldato
A mate of mine is a Linux only user, he said pretty much the same thing, he said he doesn't want Linux to be mainstream, he is also a PC gamer, which is a problem being a Linux fan.
He has tried, genuinely tried to get on with Windows, so he can play more games with us, but it was too painful for him :D I think it made him very ill.....

I have high expectations for Linux gaming because of the Steam Deck, he is far more sceptical, but hopeful.

I think I'm similar, I was kinda hyped when Steam first came to Linux and Valve did some work on their titles but it didn't really work great at the time and so I never really bothered beyond trying a couple of things, kinda disappointed.

SteamDeck could well end up exactly the same, but on the other hand it might not, so I'm hopeful but I remember getting too excited before so not doing that again :p

Soldato
Happy to go back to Intel i think next year, i don't like what AMD are doing with board support, stopping certain older boards working with newer CPUs and other cheaper boards are allowed, makes no sense.

Both companies do crap things though..

Intel seem to hold better latency / single core performance, so I'll wait to see what Raptor Lake is like and see if the new boards for it support Meteor Lake, I'm not going to buy a new board and CPU only for it not to have a single upgrade though.

Soldato
Happy to go back to Intel i think next year, i don't like what AMD are doing with board support, stopping certain older boards working with newer CPUs and other cheaper boards are allowed, makes no sense.

Both companies do crap things though..

Intel seem to hold better latency / single core performance, so I'll wait to see what Raptor Lake is like and see if the new boards for it support Meteor Lake, I'm not going to buy a new board and CPU only for it not to have a single upgrade though.

I thought AM4 was well supported ? I thought it was Intel that kept changing boards , If you are waiting that long shouldnt you also be looking what AMD brings with AM5 ?

Caporegime

Linux has had... years... to embrace being user-friendly. But, it just hasn't done it. I don't think there's an interest in making it fool-proof.

If you use Linux for anything non-trivial you will need to dip into command line, text config files and all that.

I don't expect it will ever happen. Perhaps they've given up on mass market appeal. In fairness, you can easily understand why. Unless you're being paid/selling something, you're going to write code that's interesting to you. Unless you're getting paid to make a fool-proof package manager (etc) you probably won't find it too interesting to consider the needs of completely non-technical people. So you'll write a functional package manager instead. It'll probably be rough around the edges and won't hold your hand.

Instead, you'll write code for people like yourself, and code that solves a problem you find interesting.

MS, on the other hand, pay people handsomely to deal with utterly non-technical users - and design a (somewhat) user-friendly system. But even Windows isn't fool-proof!

As a general rule, designing a completely fool-proof system will take many times the effort, time and thought to designing a functional system. And - crucially - many engineers/devs just aren't great at making UIs and stuff like that. Great at solving problems, maybe not so great at making a user experience that's consistent and intuitive and self-explanatory. Just look at all the products out there, from phones to set-top boxes, that have really awful UIs.

Caporegime
Linux has had... years... to embrace being user-friendly. But, it just hasn't done it. I don't think there's an interest in making it fool-proof.

If you use Linux for anything non-trivial you will need to dip into command line, text config files and all that.

I don't expect it will ever happen. Perhaps they've given up on mass market appeal. In fairness, you can easily understand why. Unless you're being paid/selling something, you're going to write code that's interesting to you. Unless you're getting paid to make a fool-proof package manager (etc) you probably won't find it too interesting to consider the needs of completely non-technical people. So you'll write a functional package manager instead. It'll probably be rough around the edges and won't hold your hand.

Instead, you'll write code for people like yourself, and code that solves a problem you find interesting.

MS, on the other hand, pay people handsomely to deal with utterly non-technical users - and design a (somewhat) user-friendly system. But even Windows isn't fool-proof!

As a general rule, designing a completely fool-proof system will take many times the effort, time and thought to designing a functional system. And - crucially - many engineers/devs just aren't great at making UIs and stuff like that. Great at solving problems, maybe not so great at making a user experience that's consistent and intuitive and self-explanatory. Just look at all the products out there, from phones to set-top boxes, that have really awful UIs.

I can deal with some quirkiness, tho i would like to be able to: Right Click Add to Archive, which then brings up a GUI with all available option i can set, click ok and away it goes.... which is how 7Zip it works in windows, or Right click Extract Files here / Chose where to extract.

That's not dumbing something down, that's just good workflow, if i'm downloading clients PHP web sites and make code changes i don't want to be fudging about in Terminal to access the containers, right click go is faster and less work.

That's just one example, another is i use all sorts of weird and sometimes very old applications for 3D work, some of them made by 3 people in 2003 and haven't been updated since, windows doesn't care, double click to instal and away you go.... there is no "this application needs this and that dependencies" after 3 hours of trouble shooting you hit a dead end.

Its as if Linux is not the tool that enables work / play, the thing its self is work / play, a bit like how people like to own old cars that breakdown all the time because they breakdown all the time.

Caporegime
Setting up 5.1 or 7.1 speakers. Last time I tried it you had to edit the ALSA config, and that required learning ALSA's owning scripting language :p

But that's just one example. Every time I've used Linux it's been far more productive to use the command line, from everything to setting up NICs to installing drivers.

All the "How-To"s on the internet are/were about dropping into the shell and typing this that or the other.

Back
Top Bottom