• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD what you doing to fight off Alderlake?

Soldato
Setting up 5.1 or 7.1 speakers. Last time I tried it you had to edit the ALSA config, and that required learning ALSA's owning scripting language

Like I've said before, it's been a while since you used Linux aint it.

It's a been a dropdown option in pulse audio for 15+ or so years

But that's just one example. Every time I've used Linux it's been far more productive to use the command line, from everything to setting up NICs to installing drivers.

I've not had to drop to the shell for drivers since the late 90s early 2000s.

Drivers are in the kernel for 99% of the hardware so loaded upon install/ boot

All the "How-To"s on the internet are/were about dropping into the shell and typing this that or the other.

Agreed with this, A lot of the how too's are done from experienced people and thus done via the shell for speed as the mass of different DE's/Distros makes it easier to use the shell.

Caporegime
And another thing, like @humbug said, you still have to know to set up new repos, etc, to even get software that isn't "free" or whatever.

Outside of development, who even knows what the word "repo" means? It's not a concept in Windows at all.

Soldato
And another thing, like @humbug said, you still have to know to set up new repos, etc, to even get software that isn't "free" or whatever.

They come pre set up in pretty much all distros, and have for decades so not sure what you mean .

What do you mean regards free ? I presume you mean proprietary software in which case there ain't none that have that in the repos that i'm aware of.

And lets be honest, what @humbug knows about linux I could put on the back of a postage stamp and still have room for his address :D

Edit:

Sorry for going OT :o

Soldato
I have been out of the loop for a couple of months and have not kept up with the Alderlake release.

I take it intel have pulled off a win although it looks like they have a high power draw. Are they running very hot ?

Caporegime
They come pre set up in pretty much all distros, and have for decades so not sure what you mean .

What do you mean regards free ? I presume you mean proprietary software in which case there ain't none that have that in the repos that i'm aware of.

And lets be honest, what @humbug knows about linux I could put on the back of a postage stamp and still have room for his address :D

Edit:

Sorry for going OT :o

You're not wrong :)

Soldato
Isn't it kind of rare to see widespread price drops, especially in what is essentially 'end of life' processors?

That's not even counting that sales seem to still be holding up, at least from what little we can gain for top seller lists etc

In fact checking the UK top seller list of that retailer I don't see 12th Gen Intel in there at all which seems strange?

Caporegime
Isn't it kind of rare to see widespread price drops, especially in what is essentially 'end of life' processors?

That's not even counting that sales seem to still be holding up, at least from what little we can gain for top seller lists etc

In fact checking the UK top seller list of that retailer I don't see 12th Gen Intel in there at all which seems strange?

It did appear there just after launch, so did the 12600 and 12700, the 12900K got as high as 3'rd but sales seem to have fallen off a cliff since then, this is according to HUB confirmed by the retailers they have spoken to, one saying AMD sold more Ryzen 5000 CPU's in hours than Intel sold 12 series in days.

HUB think its a combination of things, people think ADL is tied to Windows 11 and people don't want Windows 11, which to some extent is true, and also it has problems, and power consumption is putting some people off.
I think also because the platform is quite expensive, DDR5 pricing.

Ryzen 5000 is known and stable quantity, people trust the brand and the reviews didn't show ADL much better, especially if you look at the HUB reviews in which the gaming benchmarks were all GPU bound, the message you're getting from that is flip a coin, only when you take all that ^^^ in to account Ryzen 5000 looks better, i don't agree it is, i think the best CPU right now is the 12700K but that's because i know its capable of more in gaming than people like HUB reviews show.

Soldato
It did appear there just after launch, so did the 12600 and 12700, the 12900K got as high as 3'rd but sales seem to have fallen off a cliff since then, this is according to HUB confirmed by the retailers they have spoken to, one saying AMD sold more Ryzen 5000 CPU's in hours than Intel sold 12 series in days.

HUB think its a combination of things, people think ADL is tied to Windows 11 and people don't want Windows 11, which to some extent is true, and also it has problems, and power consumption is putting some people off.
I think also because the platform is quite expensive, DDR5 pricing.

Ryzen 5000 is known and stable quantity, people trust the brand and the reviews didn't show ADL much better, especially if you look at the HUB reviews in which the gaming benchmarks were all GPU bound, the message you're getting from that is flip a coin, only when you take all that ^^^ in to account Ryzen 5000 looks better, i don't agree it is, i think the best CPU right now is the 12700K but that's because i know its capable of more in gaming than people like HUB reviews show.

Yeah, I agree with all that, I was mostly just shocked to not see it in the top sellers at all, didn't expect it high up but even 10th and 9th gen Intel chips are in there...

I guess it's also 'missing' the 12400 SKU as well as the cheap motherboards, and the top end DDR5 motherboards are suffering from lack of DDR5 supply (or any decent stuff at all :p). So neither absolute top-end or bottom end are really being served as well as they could be for now.

Either way it doesn't matter, fundamentally AMD aren't going to reduce prices any time soon/ever, no need right now and by the time that changes it's likely the refresh will be out... we may see the 5600X/a 'new' 5600 non-X SKU to be right at the bottom (replacing the 3600) with the refresh I guess but that's about all I expect to see...

Caporegime
Zen 3D (Ryzen 6000) ^^^ ? Yes. Early next year, Jan / Feb.

Yeah, I agree with all that, I was mostly just shocked to not see it in the top sellers at all, didn't expect it high up but even 10th and 9th gen Intel chips are in there...

I guess it's also 'missing' the 12400 SKU as well as the cheap motherboards, and the top end DDR5 motherboards are suffering from lack of DDR5 supply (or any decent stuff at all :p). So neither absolute top-end or bottom end are really being served as well as they could be for now.

Either way it doesn't matter, fundamentally AMD aren't going to reduce prices any time soon/ever, no need right now and by the time that changes it's likely the refresh will be out... we may see the 5600X/a 'new' 5600 non-X SKU to be right at the bottom (replacing the 3600) with the refresh I guess but that's about all I expect to see...
Right. Some retailers did lower the price of the 5600X, 5800X and 5900X significantly right on ADL launch, this could have been AMD testing the waters on much lower pricing but since then 12 series seems to have fallen flat on its face, so no need to do anything.

The 12400 series an B660 boards could and i think should turn it around for Intel. I hope so anyway, i don't know about pricing of higher end SKU's, I would have liked to have seen Zen 3D chips a little cheaper but unless Intel move on pricing AMD won't.

Associate
I think part of the problem for ADL is that its a new socket, hence a new (expensive MB and optionally RAM). The AM4 socket has been so widely adopted and most people on it know there is another upgrade bump coming with 3d cache CPU's soon. So most likely most ADL customers are coming from an old Intel platform only. Anyone with with AM4 will unlikely of made the jump knowing that far cheaper upgrade path is on the horizon (not saying some haven't but the majority)

Associate
I got my 5900x off somebody BNIB for £320, can't beat that value. Sold my 3900x for £290. And I did not have to change anything else on my PC. That's a win right there.

Win

Associate
I think a lot of people upgraded when the new series of GPUs came out, Ryzen is everywhere now. Can't imagine 10th 11th Geners updating on mass except for Intel enthusiasts and Intel Alder lake ads are everywhere.

Which does mean we won't see Ryzen price drops until 3D comes out early next year, not to mention those damn miners buying up stock.

Soldato
On a 9900k I am not even considering Alder Lake, and if I am not I dont think many with more powerful Zen 3 chips will be either.

The downside of these large IPC gains is it effectively makes older chips obsolete faster which in effect makes PCs more expensive to maintain.

Its all fine now, but within a few years we might see PC ports been optimised around these faster chips so then the coffee lake and older will feel underpowered.

Also there is teething issues to be fixed with the scheduler as well as this not been publicly tested on Linux and BSD yet, I be surprised if there is no issues, it took a few years for Ryzen to come good on Linux.

One area where I still think the tech reviewers are out of touch is they still seem to approach reviews with the mindset its people upgrading from one or two gens old, when its more likely people with much older kits will be interested, but they never test really older stuff than 1-2 gens old vs the new samples they get, the admin on TPU even asked recently if users were considering upgrading from Zen 3, to me Zen 3 is way too new for anyone to consider Alder Lake.

Soldato
Price drop? maybe but it appears that AMD's order book is pretty full. Timescale on this is until q4 2022.
https://www.hpcwire.com/2021/11/15/hpe-amd-to-power-new-french-supercomputer-adastra/

The problem is you don't need to drop prices when you're selling everything you make. Unless Intel start taking sales from AMD (and AMD can no longer sell all their products), why do they need to drop prices to incentivise sales? In fact, the opposite is happening and AMD has spent the last few years taking sales from Intel, and it's Intel that has lowered prices to incentivise their sales in the face of a competitor with better products.

Worldwide demand is so much higher than supply at the moment, AMD can keep charging their prices even in the face of a new Intel CPU launch.

Back
Top Bottom