AMD x470, B450 motherboard on zen2

Rab

Rab

Associate
any of the 470 boards getting a refresh, like msi doing ? eta on them any one know? this month ? next month.
got my 3600 cpu today, ram out of stock the now, no board thou, just ain't got the cash the now to go 570 route.

Soldato
b450 capable of enabling pcie4 for m.2, m.2 been the only actual benefit of pcie4 in 2019.

Unhappy AMD plan to block it via artifical bios restrictions tho.

Associate
any of the 470 boards getting a refresh, like msi doing ? eta on them any one know? this month ? next month.
got my 3600 cpu today, ram out of stock the now, no board thou, just ain't got the cash the now to go 570 route.

I heard from someone who heard that it was 27th july. Some euro stores are listing them to pre order

Associate
The Max versions of the 450/470 boards that MSI are releasing will have 32MB ROMs, same size as the X570 boards.
I'll be interesting to see if the MAX boards are identical to the current ones except for the larger flash chip. If they are it won't be that hard to replace the 16MB flash chip with a 32MB one, allowing the old board to use the MAX BIOS.

Associate
Hey,

I need help with a decision. I got Croshair VII recently and kinda feel that I've made a mistake. Seeing that Asus didn't release a functional bios for it yes and their support is quite bad, I'm thinking of returning it and getting X570 Aorus Pro or X570 Asrock Taichi. Is that a smart move? I guess that having a X570 would mean less problems, but I really don't like the idea of having a chipset fan on a MBO :/

Soldato
I heard from someone who heard that it was 27th july. Some euro stores are listing them to pre order

A few on Reddit reported some shops showing August. As MSI are still clearly trying to stabilise the BIOS (as per a recent thread from an MSI rep on Reddit, where they say there will be a major update at the end of the month) I'd be surprised if we saw the boards this month, but who knows.

TBH I'm getting a little impatient now, so I might just take it on the chin and get an X570. I feel like even with the MAX boards I could still be waiting a while before everything sorts itself out and my 2500k is getting tired.

Associate
A few on Reddit reported some shops showing August. As MSI are still clearly trying to stabilise the BIOS (as per a recent thread from an MSI rep on Reddit, where they say there will be a major update at the end of the month) I'd be surprised if we saw the boards this month, but who knows.

TBH I'm getting a little impatient now, so I might just take it on the chin and get an X570. I feel like even with the MAX boards I could still be waiting a while before everything sorts itself out and my 2500k is getting tired.

I'm the same, the x570 fans are putting me off but I'm not sure the x470 bios will handle a 3900x anytime soon. I've got a 3570 and 8Gb ram from eons ago.

Associate
Associate
So I'm guessing I'm going to be one of the unfortunate people affected by the 450/3600 combo (il flash tonight to make find out)
Question I have is this, if I am one the people affected, would I be able to simple pair the 450 with a 2600 instead until MSI realise where the hell they went wrong and how to fix it?

Associate
Just got response from other seller, this time from UK, someone should call for overclockers team and ask:
"Hi, Thank you for contacting our support team. These are due in around the 26th however this is not a guaranteed date. If you have any further enquiries, please do not hesitate to get in touch. Regards,
Kristian Nicholas Newbury

CCL Sales Team"

Associate
All up & running with 3700x installed on the Asus Prime X470 PRO, All fine ,
Took the PC 40 odd secs to boot on first power on to set things.

CPU Temp Reached 69c Doing R15 Multi RUN. Score 2085,
That's a big jump from my Ryzen 1700 Stock with score of 1440,
CPU Voltage in bios jumps around 1.465/85 volts,
Only thing I changed was setting AI Overclock to D.O.C.P to set the Memory to 3200

R15 score at stock CPU Settings with PBO at default AUTO
gPzbXW0.jpg.png

HRCtK6k.jpg.png

qaesxTq.jpg.png

Dgpqrtn.jpg.png

CZ26xVk.jpg.png

FmB3JgH.jpg.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for the info. Is this the Reddit post you're referring to?:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MSI_Gaming/comments/ce3ift/msi_b450_tomahawk_update/

That's the one. I've been keeping an eye that subreddit, but the various threads about people having non-booting systems, have having to disconnect reset switches due to inconsistent booting just puts me off amongst other issues. I'd rather pay £70 more and not have that hassle.

Once I've decided on a mainboard I've still got the decision on what RAM to go for, I'm trying not to complicate further :D

Soldato
Just got response from other seller, this time from UK, someone should call for overclockers team and ask:
"Hi, Thank you for contacting our support team. These are due in around the 26th however this is not a guaranteed date.

Are you referring to the Tomahawk Max?

If so, yikes! 26th November! :(

If they are going to take that long to get Tomahawk Max boards out to reatailers, I have to question what the point is, given B550 boards won't be too long after that.

Edit: Misread However as November. *sigh*

Anyone know if Specsavers have any offers on at the moment? :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom