• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
Hi all, I have just installed the latest chipset drivers in anticipation of my 3700X arriving tomorrow however when I check the windows power plan I only see Ryzen balanced and not any of the other Ryzen power plans, does anyone have any idea why. I am up to date with Windows and running the latest May update.

I cant do a reinstall of windows as this is also my work machine and having to reinstall all of my ide's , dbs, etc etc would take me a few days.

EDIT
for clarity I can see, windows balanced, windows high performance and ryzen balanced, but I was under the impression there was a Ryzen high performance available in the new drivers, not that I would use it but I want to make sure the drivers installed correctly

Associate
Hi all, I have just installed the latest chipset drivers in anticipation of my 3700X arriving tomorrow however when I check the windows power plan I only see Ryzen balanced and not any of the other Ryzen power plans, does anyone have any idea why. I am up to date with Windows and running the latest May update.

I cant do a reinstall of windows as this is also my work machine and having to reinstall all of my ide's , dbs, etc etc would take me a few days.

EDIT
for clarity I can see, windows balanced, windows high performance and ryzen balanced, but I was under the impression there was a Ryzen high performance available in the new drivers, not that I would use it but I want to make sure the drivers installed correctly
Show additional plans at the bottom

Associate
out of curiosity, why a 3800x over a 3700x?
I currently run the 1800X and wanted the successor to that chip. It has a higher TDP so i imagine there will be more headroom for some overclocking when i get a better mobo and RAM. Not one for benchmarks, just more of a tinker and see what i can do without creating too much heat...

TrM

TrM

Associate
Yeah, mine has been doing that from the beginning. Fans are up and down all the time. Normal I guess?

fans are nromally tied to cpu temp and with higher spikes due to the core boosting causes thed fans to go up and down like a yoyo adjust the fan speed to spin low to 65 degress then ramp up from there amd cpu temps to spike but don't substain the heat leve for long andl the fans spinning up doesnt really help with temps

Associate
fans are nromally tied to cpu temp and with higher spikes due to the core boosting causes thed fans to go up and down like a yoyo adjust the fan speed to spin low to 65 degress then ramp up from there amd cpu temps to spike but don't substain the heat leve for long andl the fans spinning up doesnt really help with temps

Steam really makes it work from what I've seen, with the fans going up and down constantly, and temps bouncing between 55-65 degrees. Uplay not so much, so Steam does something different it seems, which works the CPU harder?

I was planning on going with 6 case fans, but it seems it absolutely doesn't matter what airflow you've got because localised spikes on the CPU happen too often to know exactly what temps the damn thing is typically at. Ryzen Master seems to display the spike temps, quite possibly on only a tiny part of the CPU.
I've heard others are setting fan profiles according to mobo or GPU temps rather than CPU, as that seemingly stops the fans ramping up and down every third millisecond.

Associate
I was planning on going with 6 case fans, but it seems it absolutely doesn't matter what airflow you've got because localised spikes on the CPU happen too often to know exactly what temps the damn thing is typically at. Ryzen Master seems to display the spike temps, quite possibly on only a tiny part of the CPU.
I've heard others are setting fan profiles according to mobo or GPU temps rather than CPU, as that seemingly stops the fans ramping up and down every third millisecond.
I have mine on motherboard but because CPU fan profiles seem to be bugged and dont respond to a manual fan curve

Associate

I'll have to look at my BIOS and see what I can do, it's not a massive issue, just mildly annoying.

I've got two 140mm fans in the front, and one 140mm in the rear, thinking of adding another one or two top mounted 140mm fans as another exhaust, but not sure if it's worth it.

TrM

TrM

Associate

i have my fans tied to water temp myself have done for a while people on aio or custom waterloops etc fan speed doesnt do much for overall temps well not quickly. i had my brother keep asking me how to change fan profiles on his 3700x as he cant stand the ramping up and down

Soldato
I've just been playing with memory settings. Will the motherboard change your manual settings? Sure I keep getting them changed. I set 15,15,15,30,46 1T and now see
16,15,15,30,46 1T.

I'm also looking at suggested volts in Ryzen RAM calculator. Currently trying 1.4v but suggested is 1.44v. Seems a bit high to me?

Soldato
It's because Geardown mode is on. It only lets you set even numbers for CL. If you turn it off though you may have less chance of hitting 1T. It's kind of complicated but I had a Google on this the other day...

Thanks, that's saved me a lot of head scratching! Well it doesn't like 14,15,15,30,46 1T so back to the drawing board. A lot to learn I think!

Associate
*** AMD UPDATE ***
amd's rob halcock has recommended to use the windows balance plan and set minimum processor state to 85% and maximum processor state.
this will keep perform whilest also lowering voltage when idle

latest update from this thread from this thread
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/commen..._on_idle_voltages_for_3rd_gen_ryzen/?sort=new

EDIT 7/18/19 As a temporary workaround, you can use the standard Windows Balanced plan. Edit this plan to use 85% minimum processor state, 100% maximum processor state. (Example). This will chill things out as we continue to work this issue. Your 1T and nT scores shouldn't change at all (+/- the usual run-to-run variance). This will preserve boost, retain cc6 core sleeping, preserve idle downclocking/downvolting, but make the CPU more relaxed about boosting under light loads.

Please note that it is totally normal for your Ryzen to use voltages in a range of 0.200V - 1.500V -- this is the factory operating range of the CPU. It is also totally normal for the temperature to cycle through 10°C swings as boost comes on and off. You will always see these characteristics, as they're intended, so do not be surprised to see such values. :)

Please do not undervolt the chip or set a maximum processor state of 99%. These are ineffective and/or detrimental changes.

We appreciate the reports everyone has provided, and they are helpful. I will make an all-new post when I have a more comprehensive update to share. Thanks for your patience. ♥

Back
Top Bottom