• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
How are people finding Ryzen 3000 series with 4x DIMMS?

No problems at all, my sons 3900x and his 4 sticks of c14 tridentz have been perfect, not had one issue or crash. Considering he’s been hammering it too in this recent heatwave is great too. All stock cooling.

Associate
You defeat the purpose of reducing the size, by then spreading things out as you want it as close as possible due to signal propagation speeds. Less propagation time = higher clock rates.

You'd use the extra die space for more cores and balance it out across the die space. Heat is the problem here. If the 10 core rumors are true, there's no way they can squeeze them into the same space as they have done with the 9900k on 14nm node. I don't see it.

Don
You'd use the extra die space for more cores and balance it out across the die space. Heat is the problem here. If the 10 core rumors are true, there's no way they can squeeze them into the same space as they have done with the 9900k on 14nm node. I don't see it.
Yes, but the cores would be massively slower, you make a core twice the size to reduce the heat density results in a core that only does 2-2.5GHz.

Caporegime
Soldato
I got 2x16 gigs. But the ultimate plan to to get another 2x16 for 64 gig. A

Is there an issue on the asrock taichi running 4 dimms?

Be lame if I couldn't take advantage of 4 slots

Asrock boards use daisy chaining, the impact of daisy chaining has been debated on reddit, with different opinions from different people, buildzoid also took part in the discussions. (I think as a result of them he now talks about it in motherboard videos, which is good as it raises awareness of daisy chaining).

On my asrock z370 board (a high end board only second to taichi), the board can do 4+ghz on primary slots but only 3ghz on secondary slots, doesnt matter if 4 or 2 dimm config the secondary slots are just way slower. (system posts and can be used but errors in memory testing above 3000mhz).

A person on reddit posted he never seen this issue on asus boards but has seen it on various asrock boards. Asus boards at least the high end ones use t-topology.

Buildzoid has an opinion that daisy chaining shouldnt be causing the speeds I am seeing on my secondary slots, in his opinion it is only relevant at extreme speeds, and daisy chain should handle main stream speeds up to 3733mhz or so.

My asrock b450 board actually has added it to the manual, primary slots support 3600mhz, secondary just 2933mhz.

When I used asrock tech support their response for my intel board was only jedec spec supported so 2600mhz or so. Although 3000mhz works.

a lot of people seem to blame the fact 4 dimms are used and the increased load on the IMC causes the slower mhz limitations rather than poor tracing to secondary slots, giving the poor quality of secondary dimm slots on some boards a free pass. As not many people run 4 dimm configurations this has never had much scrutiny. On oc.net there is people who get 4ghz+ on 4 slots, but again on high end ASUS boards.

You should be able to run 64 gig, the question is I suppose how fast?

The good news is tho if it isnt stable at fast speeds, you can probably reduce the timing to compensate, I am running my 3200C14 ram at 3000C12 which is actually lower latency than 3200C14. I also recovered the lost bandwidth via some tuning of tertiary timings and TRFC

A big give away if you have daisy chain tracing is when the manual tells you to use primary dimm slots in 2 dimm configuration.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Asrock boards use daisy chaining, the impact of daisy chaining has been debated on reddit, with different opinions from different people, buildzoid also took part in the discussions.

On my asrock z370 board (a high end board only second to taichi), the board can do 4+ghz on primary slots but only 3ghz on secondary slots, doesnt matter if 4 or 2 dimm config the secondary slots are just way slower. (system posts and can be used but errors in memory testing above 3000mhz).

A person on reddit posted he never seen this issue on asus boards but has seen it on various asrock boards. Asus boards at least the high end ones use t-topology.

Buildzoid has an opinion that daisy chaining shouldnt be causing the speeds I am seeing on my secondary slots, in his opinion it is only relevant at extreme speeds, and daisy chain should handle main stream speeds up to 3733mhz or so.

My asrock b450 board actually has added it to the manual, primary slots support 3600mhz, secondary just 2933mhz.

When I used asrock tech support their response for my intel board was only jedec spec supported so 2600mhz or so. Although 300mhz works.

a lot of people seem to blame the fact 4 dimms are used and the increased load on the IMC causes the slower mhz limitations rather than poor tracing to secondary slots, giving the poor quality of secondary dimm slots on some boards a free pass. As not many people run 4 dimm configurations this has never had much scrutiny. On oc.net there is people who get 4ghz+ on 4 slots, but again on high end ASUS boards.

You should be able to run 64 gig, the question is I suppose how fast?

The good news is tho if it isnt stable at fast speeds, you can probably reduce the timing to compensate, I am running my 3200C14 ram at 3000C12 which is actually lower latency than 3200C14. I also recovered the lost bandwidth via some tuning of tertiary timings and TRFC

A big give away if you have daisy chain tracing is when the manual tells you to use primary dimm slots in 2 dimm configuration.

X570 Taichi is T top not daisy chain.

Soldato
4.4GHZ for me gets to Windows the the PC hard reboots.

Reading through the discussions on different forums there's about a million caveats with Ryzen 3XXX at the moment.
Might wait a little while for BIOS's to mature then I can start tweaking stuff.

I'm certain that 4.45 isn't fully stable. It got me an R20 score though! Still sits at decent volts for 4.45, going anything past that I can't get R20 to pass. But to be fair, 12c at 4.4Ghz is mega impressive.

Soldato
Anyone tried pushing infinity fabric above 1800MHz, i.e. running memory higher than 3600MHz with 1:1 ratio?

I heard the better chips can reach 1900MHz, and that can give a substantial performance improvement in some situations.

Associate
Runs like a dream from day 1 (Asus b350 prime plus) even had old chipset driver first few days: boost working, pbo working, xmp working (5007 bios).

Thanks for the response, I didnt realise PBO was on B350 boards.

I ordered a 3700x with a delayed shipping date that was just in the middle of Aug, so I thought there would be more time for bios updates etc to iron the bugs out but it shipped much earlier.

I think once it gets here in the next couple of days I will just take the plunge and see how things go.

Thanks for the response, I didnt realise PBO was on B350 boards.

I ordered a 3700x with a delayed shipping date that was just in the middle of Aug, so I thought there would be more time for bios updates etc to iron the bugs out but it shipped much earlier.

I think once it gets here in the next couple of days I will just take the plunge and see how things go.
I'm still sitting on my hands waiting for MSI to release the MAX B450 boards.

Back
Top Bottom