• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
I've lost count how many times i've hit clear CMOS.

I'm having fun though.
That was the one saving grace whilst I was trying to get the system to POST with two dozen RAM settings - being able to reset the CMOS via a button on the rear of the motherboard. It's nice not having to open up the case every time!

Associate
3 times? Holy cow lol I check the temps but I already know they are hiot little ******.

LOL! Custom hard loop too... it's more stress then fun.

It just bothered me it ran hotter then the 7940x (and x299 is hot!) But I see how this is the nature of the beast.

Look on the bright side. I'm much better and hard tubing now!

Associate

It just bothered me it ran hotter then the 7940x (and x299 is hot!) But I see how this is the nature of the beast.

Until now I have not tried hard tubing because I am afraid to mess it up, plus I need the tools. On the other hand you are changing it 3 times because of the temps lol

Same, I never had AMD before and learned quiet a bit lately because of all the "trial and error".

Associate
That was the one saving grace whilst I was trying to get the system to POST with two dozen RAM settings - being able to reset the CMOS via a button on the rear of the motherboard. It's nice not having to open up the case every time!
Yeah the button does really help, I also find the Q Code LED screen very helpful. I havent bothered to check what is what, but I already learned which one means "booting properly", and the ones that mean "you messed up" lol

Soldato
Yeah the button does really help, I also find the Q Code LED screen very helpful. I havent bothered to check what is what, but I already learned which one means "booting properly", and the ones that mean "you messed up" lol
I know when my RAM isn't stable enough to boot it usually hangs on "98" (which I think is a PCIe related code funnily enough).

Strix B450-F. With the 3600 it all powers up but no display and an orange light on the motherboard. I've read online that the likelyhood is that it needs a BIOS update.

So I ordered a AMD Athlon X4 950 Processor from elsewhere with the intention to flash the board and then return it. With that CPU in, it doesn't even power up. Perhaps DOA but I'm skeptical. I've arranged a return and I've now ordered a AMD Athlon 200GE but I'm not convinced it'll work, sadly it doesn't turn up until later in the week.

The build is for my mrs work mate, he's only a young lad (18 I think) so I'm keen to get it all working for him. His current rig is very old and keeps crashing/not running games and I'd agreed to build it all for him if he bought all the parts. I made the mistake with the board recomendation needing an update so I've used my own money for the 'flashing' CPUs.

I'm not sure if it makes any difference at all but the GPU is a 1080 Ti.
Same issue I had.
Mine ended up being a dead mobo CPU socket.
Mobo powered up in all configs that didn't involve CPU in socket, but refused to do so with CPU in socket.
Only way to know if it was dead CPU or dead CPU socket was to try another compatible CPU.
Mine had no life with 2 CPUs, but then worked with a 2nd mobo (from a different mobo manufacturer).

Man of Honour
Same issue I had.
Mine ended up being a dead mobo CPU socket.
Mobo powered up in all configs that didn't involve CPU in socket, but refused to do so with CPU in socket.
Only way to know if it was dead CPU or dead CPU socket was to try another compatible CPU.
Mine had no life with 2 CPUs, but then worked with a 2nd mobo (from a different mobo manufacturer).
I hope it's not a dead board! I'll have to ask him where he bought it from.

Permabanned
I loaded my rams profile as you showed. Get 16 15 15 15 30 (8pack 4000mhz + 3800x) but on the advanced tab my chip quality is 93% and overclocking potential is 3674 at CL14.

Used DRAM calc to try and load up CL14 in the past, will boot but it is not stable. Do you think it would be possible to get 3600 cl14 on my memory?
Ye 3600 should work with cl14 going by that all matter of volts and settings :)

Permabanned
O ye thats a MAJOR benefir on Crosshair. I tend to clear cmos like every 2-3 days or when im messing around. To get full clear load of profile after I mess with some settings that are stored in Zen chip themselves.

Permabanned

O Ye I would not go Hard Tubing Ever. I'w reset my Zen2 block 4 times now :D

Back
Top Bottom