• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Permabanned
I swapped my memory out for my other 2 sticks and ran HCI memtest again making sure to test most of the memory, all i used in that time was the edge browser and this happened

IMG-20190823-135433.jpg

I swapped out those sticks back to the original ones, got to over 100% and it found an error on those as well, but it blue screened to a page fault error right after.

If all the RAM has gone bad the same time my x99 motherboard went bad, I never would have guessed it.
More like x99 FRIED the ram sticks

Permabanned
New beta bioses and Beta We ware testing got few fixes and went official.

Flashing NEW beta now.

This post by Shamino contains C7H & C7H WIFI beta UEFI which may have fixed fan/ASUS WMI issue, link.

C7H, beta 0002 fan issue fix UEFI, link.

C7HWIFI, beta 0002 fan issue fix UEFI, link.

Seem like AGESA ComboPi-AM4 1.0.0.3ABB UEFI.

Also 2703 "Official"

ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO BIOS 2703
1.Improve system performance.
2.Update AM4 Combo PI 1.0.0.3 Patch ABB
a.Fixes a compatibility issue with Destiny 2
b.Fixes an issue with certain Linux distros

C7H, link.

C7HWIF, link.[/QUOTE]

Associate
I swapped my memory out for my other 2 sticks and ran HCI memtest again making sure to test most of the memory, all i used in that time was the edge browser and this happened

IMG-20190823-135433.jpg

I swapped out those sticks back to the original ones, got to over 100% and it found an error on those as well, but it blue screened to a page fault error right after.

If all the RAM has gone bad the same time my x99 motherboard went bad, I never would have guessed it.

Given that it looks like a memory issue, it could be compatibility but it is possible the motherboard fried the RAM when it went, is it worth running a few tests on different combos of those sticks ? as you still might have 2 good ones !!

Soldato
Given that it looks like a memory issue, it could be compatibility but it is possible the motherboard fried the RAM when it went, is it worth running a few tests on different combos of those sticks ? as you still might have 2 good ones !!
I might give it a go, it looks as if I'm going to have to RMA the memory regardless as i have nothing else to test my memory sticks with. I got no way of testing my 5820k either so i can't even sell that now.

Soldato
I might give it a go, it looks as if I'm going to have to RMA the memory regardless as i have nothing else to test my memory sticks with. I got no way of testing my 5820k either so i can't even sell that now.

Given the issues you have been seeing, and the level of info you've supplied then it doesn't surprise me that it was the RAM.. When was the last time you ran a RAM test on the previous platform?

If you RMA the RAM you'll likely end up with a better set anyhow as they haven't made 2800MHz for a good while now, more likely 3000/3200MHz.

Permabanned
Given the issues you have been seeing, and the level of info you've supplied then it doesn't surprise me that it was the RAM.. When was the last time you ran a RAM test on the previous platform?

If you RMA the RAM you'll likely end up with a better set anyhow as they haven't made 2800MHz for a good while now, more likely 3000/3200MHz.
Everyone on ryzen know how important 'Memory stability is cause of how it all blends with CCX and Infinity fabric design. Unstable memory unstabe infinity fabric so unstable core to core connection. So whole system is a mess. On Intel You can get away with bit less stable memory.

Associate
ASUS's Shamino on overclock.net: AMD reduced boost behavior in newer AGESA versions for long term reliability reasons, no boost changes in 1004.
https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/cuj2aq/asuss_shamino_on_overclocknet_amd_reduced_boost/

Be good if people stopped saying 'AGESA will fix boost' in this thread now and just accept the situation.
Nobody said that. We have been saying that the AGESA was the cause of the changed boost behaviour, and we were correct.

Associate
Nobody said that. We have been saying that the AGESA was the cause of the changed boost behaviour, and we were correct.

The AGESA was changed because the CPUs couldn't handle the boosting, 1.0.0.2 killed a few review samples - including Hardware Unboxed. These CPUs are on the edge of what they can do safely. And people have been claiming this can somehow be fixed, just a quick search from the last few pages:

First of all you wont hit 4.4Ghz until a new fixed AGESA is out,

The boost issue seems AGESA related, not related to the chip itself. Mine was boosting fine at first, but after updating the BIOS it boosts less, but the fact that the chipset fan is crazy loud on old BIOS means I'm just gonna endure the slower boosts until they fix it.

Reddit is worse for this.

I don't personally care, and I think people are overlooking actual benchmarks and focusing too much on max boost.

G J

G J

Associate
To me it would seem so, Yes i know they are the under dog and all But if this was intel people would be up in arms IMO .

Well the usual AMD crowd of people that are quick enough to pile in threads to defend its honour and point out all other's evil doing's seem to be avoiding this issue and being pretty quiet atm.

Soldato
I'm very happy with my 3800x and its performance, and I'm not particularly upset that it only hits 4.5Ghz when the stars are aligned just so...but AMD did screw up the marketing for these new chips.

They should under-promise and over-deliver. With respect to clock-speeds, they over-promised and are hiding behind a technicality on delivery.

Soldato
Well the usual AMD crowd of people that are quick enough to pile in threads to defend its honour and point out all other's evil doing's seem to be avoiding this issue and being pretty quiet atm.

I am just hoping they manage to keep the current boost clocks and dont have to lower them more going forwards.

G J

G J

Associate
I am just hoping they manage to keep the current boost clocks and dont have to lower them more going forwards.

Yep hopefully it'll be something they can fix with bios updates but yeah if they have to keep lowering boost clocks... well whats the opposite of AMD's Finewine. :p

Back
Top Bottom