• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Caporegime
Yeah I wouldn't put too much faith in that. The previous 2K XCOM games were some pretty horrific bug-fests :p I just wouldn't hold them up as benchmarks tbh.

Maybe they screwed something up, maybe not. I wouldn't put it past them.

Associate
ComputerBase did retest several times so maybe this is simply a case of developers optimizing well for the Zen 2 architecture (32MB L3 cache), and thus an example of optimizations we might see more of once the new consoles with their 8C/16T Zen 2 CPUs arrives.

Caporegime
ComputerBase did retest several times so maybe this is simply a case of developers optimizing well for the Zen 2 architecture (32MB L3 cache), and thus an example of optimizations we might see more of once the new consoles with their 8C/16T Zen 2 CPUs arrives.
Or its an outlier, because they screwed something up. Until lots of other games show the same "optimisations" for AMD, I'm not discounting that. Esp because I saw the state of XCOM when it was released - a buggy mess.

Incidentally, why would the maker of a turn-based strategy game invest dev time in optimising the graphics engine for AMD CPUs.. And if a turn-based game dev can do it why aren't all the FPS devs showing similar perf increases for AMD CPU..

I'm not buying this for a second, that Firaxis (of all people) have somehow unlocked AMD CPUs to give massive perf boosts in their graphics engine code. It seems very odd to me.

Soldato
Or its an outlier, because they screwed something up. Until lots of other games show the same "optimisations" for AMD, I'm not discounting that. Esp because I saw the state of XCOM when it was released - a buggy mess.

Incidentally, why would the maker of a turn-based strategy game invest dev time in optimising the graphics engine for AMD CPUs.. And if a turn-based game dev can do it why aren't all the FPS devs showing similar perf increases for AMD CPU..

I'm not buying this for a second, that Firaxis (of all people) have somehow unlocked AMD CPUs to give massive perf boosts in their graphics engine code. It seems very odd to me.

Called cost vs return. I'm fairly sure many more devs could do proper optimizations if their management deems it necessary for the bottom line and that depends on AMD's market share.

Associate
Maybe the Zen 2 performance is because they plan to launch the game/expansion onto the new consoles, or maybe it’s a combination of the game being turn based together with an engine that just really likes a large L3 cache, but without more testing done, we don't really know yet.

Caporegime
Called cost vs return. I'm fairly sure many more devs could do proper optimizations if their management deems it necessary for the bottom line and that depends on AMD's market share.
My point was, that if you're a turn-based game dev, and if your products have a history of being bug-ridden, why are you (of all people) investing time into optimising your FPS on a subset of your users' hardware? It doesn't make too much sense.

I'm saying that for a turn-based game your graphical FPS isn't a massive priority, vs something like CounterStrike.

Soldato
How do you guys test how high your FCLKs can go?

Because I've realised I never increase VDDG voltage before I test it.

I test it with stock voltages, find it cant go higher than 1800MHz and then tune my ram for 3600MHz.

Perhaps with the next BIOS I will try upping the VDDG voltages before I see how high my FCLK can go.

Is that the only voltage I need to play with for FCLK?

And is this something you guys have to do as well, or does it just 'work' at stock volts for the FCLK for you?

Soldato
How do you guys test how high your FCLKs can go?

Because I've realised I never increase VDDG voltage before I test it.

I test it with stock voltages, find it cant go higher than 1800MHz and then tune my ram for 3600MHz.

Perhaps with the next BIOS I will try upping the VDDG voltages before I see how high my FCLK can go.

Is that the only voltage I need to play with for FCLK?

And is this something you guys have to do as well, or does it just 'work' at stock volts for the FCLK for you?

Using DRAM Calc. Just with XMP with 3600Mhz ram, should operate at 1800 without tweaking everything default.

Soldato
I've started doing all-core overclocking again instead of PBO (better all-core performance). Is there a way of setting a power limit so that it throttles once an AVX workload puts a ridiculous amount of load on it.

Soldato
I've started doing all-core overclocking again instead of PBO (better all-core performance). Is there a way of setting a power limit so that it throttles once an AVX workload puts a ridiculous amount of load on it.

No is the answer. Anything involving AVX will just saturate whatever cooling you have. That's the nature of the beast. The bios has it's settings, but they are where they are once you boot to the OS. All you can do is constantly try different things in the bios until you are happy.

Soldato
AMD once again reaches new heights as AMD sells 91% of all CPU sales at Mind Factory in April

https://imgur.com/a/wlJIP8J

Intel has reached a new low, now only selling less than 10% of all CPU sales at MF

Interesting jump in April. I wonder if consumer computer hardware sales will see a jump during the lockdown period. I know I've spent a fair bit during this period.

Able to support my hypothesis? @Gibbo

Back
Top Bottom