• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Caporegime
Indeed the Asus X570 TUF (and the Wi-Fi version) are great boards, and have been down as low as £160. I have used a couple of them, even though the aesthetic isn't amazing they are very solid for the cost.
If all of these motherboards had both front and rear USB-C my upgrade decisions would be so much simpler. :(

Caporegime
I don't understand what the crack with the motherboard situation is with 3rd gen Ryzen.
Say I want to buy a Ryzen 3100 CPU, where the hell is the proper budget boards for it?

Back in the day regardless AMD or Intel I'd be able to get a cheapo board.

Intel have the cheapo boards available for LGA 1200, what the hell is AMD's excuse?

Soldato
Last generation boards and potentially need flashing and won't support the kit outright, and A320 is now two generations old.

I just had a bottom of the rung MSI B450 that was ~£54.98, and an R3 3100, completely forgot about flashing it until I'd put it together, lo and behold it worked. The BIOS was from backend of last year!

Caporegime
I just had a bottom of the rung MSI B450 that was ~£54.98, and an R3 3100, completely forgot about flashing it until I'd put it together, lo and behold it worked. The BIOS was from backend of last year!

It's not something I'd want to risk personally, and it's certainly not an ideal situation to be in.
Plus we've just had a massive issue with them potentially being "dead" support wise.

There should have been by now newer chipsets for budgets, and there hasn't been.

Soldato
I don't understand what the crack with the motherboard situation is with 3rd gen Ryzen.
Say I want to buy a Ryzen 3100 CPU, where the hell is the proper budget boards for it?

Back in the day regardless AMD or Intel I'd be able to get a cheapo board.

Intel have the cheapo boards available for LGA 1200, what the hell is AMD's excuse?

Budget: A520
Mid range: B550
High end: X570

AMD covered all bases.

Soldato
It's not something I'd want to risk personally, and it's certainly not an ideal situation to be in.
Plus we've just had a massive issue with them potentially being "dead" support wise.

There should have been by now newer chipsets for budgets, and there hasn't been.

My point is that support was obviously put in the the BIOS way before the CPU was released.

It's a none issue for OEM's and SI's also if you are a self builder then you should ensure you know what you need before you commit, they includes checking the CPU support list and memory QVL.

Caporegime
My point is that support was obviously put in the the BIOS way before the CPU was released.

It's a none issue for OEM's and SI's also if you are a self builder then you should ensure you know what you need before you commit, they includes checking the CPU support list and memory QVL.

You'll never know what stock you'll get when you're buying last generation kit, there's no point checking B450 boards unless you know what BIOS you're getting.

Soldato
You'll never know what stock you'll get when you're buying last generation kit, there's no point checking B450 boards unless you know what BIOS you're getting.

Missing the point though, if you are a self builder then you should be aware of how to solve that problem and have the tools to do it, or be prepared to get someone to do it for you.

You can't have it both ways, the longevity of sockets and boards, and everything being compatible with every new CPU release. I know which one I prefer, and pretty sure that the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.

Caporegime
Missing the point though, if you are a self builder then you should be aware of how to solve that problem and have the tools to do it, or be prepared to get someone to do it for you.

You can't have it both ways, the longevity of sockets and boards, and everything being compatible with every new CPU release. I know which one I prefer, and pretty sure that the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.

I'm not missing the point. Although what you're suggesting is something ridiculous. Why on Earth should I have parts available to resolve BIOS updates if it's a budget build for a friend etc? I didn't need to do that when I could buy an A320 motherboard and a Ryzen 1600 for example, I'm not going to do it just because AMD have decided not to release budget motherboard chipsets for newer products.

I'm not wanting it both ways, I want available new budget products, there's nothing contradictory in this.

New budget boards can exist while older boards get support for new CPU's.

:confused:

If Intel have budget motherboards for their new line up, there's no excuse for AMD not to have any a year on...

Last edited:
Soldato
New budget boards can exist while older boards get support for new CPU's.

Budget boards are just that though, budget, and motherboard manufacturers make very little money on them, especially the £40-70 models. The longer thy can make them for, the more feasible it makes them, especially in low volume (like AMD was at the time the B350/4B50 came out), and they cheaper they become over time.

Just because you'd prefer them to release a new board/chipset every year to help solve a minor inconvenience doesn't mean they should or will. What did people do with the B350 and A320 an a 2200G in Feb 2018 when they launched, they updated the BIOS, AMD didn't release a new board just because a few new CPU's came out.

Caporegime
Budget boards are just that though, budget, and motherboard manufacturers make very little money on them, especially the £40-70 models. The longer thy can make them for, the more feasible it makes them, especially in low volume (like AMD was at the time the B350/4B50 came out), and they cheaper they become over time.

Just because you'd prefer them to release a new board/chipset every year to help solve a minor inconvenience doesn't mean they should or will. What did people do with the B350 and A320 an a 2200G in Feb 2018 when they launched, they updated the BIOS, AMD didn't release a new board just because a few new CPU's came out.

Well this is clearly a pointless discussion.

I thought choice was good, clearly not.
Should have only released the 3900X and stuff the pauper's who can't afford.

Soldato
Well this is clearly a pointless discussion.

Apparently, since you can't recognise that the same problem existed when only the B350/X370 had been out ~9 months, and the 2200G/2400G came out, the boards had to be flashed to work with them. Your argument is they should have launched another board/chipset?

The B450 is the budget PCI-E 3.0 option for budget builds, and will be until the end of socket AM4.

Soldato
it's ridiculous to defend that.

Wasn't defending it, just stating a fact that the 'issue' has existed since Ryzen chips came out.

B450's EOL and being replaced by B550, it's not *the* budget option.

B450 isn't EOL, some manufacturers may opt to thin out their product stack however.

What you're suggesting is completely illogical and you'd end up with people buying systems to build that aren't going to work because they should just be expected to have to BIOS flash them by what you're saying?

How is understanding what you are/buying and building illogical, spend £10 to get a board flashed if you can't do it yourself. Ignorance of what you are doing is the worst excuse ever, since went has it been a right for building a computer to be stupid proof. If you end up with people like staff from The Verge doing it then they shouldn't bother in the first place.

I love to know what you would have done if you ever needed to build a 386/486 and actually need tools and knowledge to get it working.

You are right with one thing though, no point in continuing this discussion since there is neither a right or wrong answer just a difference of opinion.

Back
Top Bottom