• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Permabanned
Whenever I hear AdoredTV, I think of Spud from the first Trainspotting film (haven't seen the sequel). And AdoredTV's "leaks" are sort of like when Spud had poo in his bedding :p

Man of Honour
It's pointless. Only real test will be 9900k@5ghz vs 3800x/3900x at max overclock whatever that will be. I cant think of single pwerson buying 9900k and not overclocking it...

Then you dont know many "normal" consumers - normal consumers dont overclock and it is as simple as that.

Soldato
They wont have "hidden" or "sandbagged" overclocking performance. That's ridiculous. Why hide and loose performance they could ship with? You realise a very VERY small proportion of people actually overclock. and youtube benchmarks are always done at stock. They will ship with as much clockspeed as guarantees stability. I think Jim from Adored is really clutching at straws now.
TDP is a valid reason but I agree, it's stupidly unlikely that they will clock to say 4.8+ GHz if they only advertise 4.6 GHz boost.

Permabanned
Then you dont know many "normal" consumers - normal consumers dont overclock and it is as simple as that.

Users begin to know overclocking when they need more performance and it's a viable option to extract some more performance while keeping the needed costs for this low or null.

It makes zero sense to overclock an already monster CPU as i9-9900 something.

Man of Honour
Users begin to know overclocking when they need more performance and it's a viable option to extract some more performance while keeping the needed costs for this low or null.

Really you think consumers look to get more performance from a current system by overclocking or running out of spec and not just think about buying something new that is faster for their workload? I think we both know the real answer here.

Never once has a normal non enthusiast said to me "How about we overclock it to find more performance" it just doesn't happen.

In fact many, or even most systems, housing the 9900/k will be some kind of oem system where they are locked into tdp limits. You know what I mean, systems like the HP Z4 G4.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Boost clocks are always single core because bigger numbers look better.

Unless they are deliberately changing it either to hide something or fall more inline with how Intel now market their chips. Didn't they recently change the way that they market or even don't market boost clocks? I personally think something in this picture is missing, I may be wrong but it's not fully adding up for me. I hear the silicon quality argument but am not sure I am fully on board with that one.

Permabanned
Really you think consumers look to get more performance from a current system by overclocking or running out of spec and not just think about buying something new that is faster for their workload? I think we both know the real answer here.

Never once has a normal non enthusiast said to me "How about we overclock it to find more performance" it just doesn't happen.

In fact many, or even most systems, housing the 9900/k will be some kind of oem system where they are locked into tdp limits. You know what I mean, systems like the HP Z4 G4.

But even here the other members recommend overclocking instead new purchases for systems housing ivy bridge, haswell, even sandy bridge, etc...

Soldato
Absolutely this.

In my many years of being involved with PC's, both personally and professionally, the amount of people I've known who overclock their CPU's and GFX is minimal.

Even on this forum a lot of people don't overclock!

I think the truth of all this is there is no simple answer. There is no better or worse. There is only better at XXX, add your own task of choice. Sometimes it will be AMD and sometimes it will be Intel.

As said by others indicators like the large number of new high quality motherboards being sold say a lot about the performance.

IMO it is more honest to list the all-core boost rather than a single core boost.
Irrespective of this, I find it hard to justify listing a single core boost on a product that's upper bounds is ultimately limited to your choice of cooling solution...as XFR2 seemingly suggests.

Permabanned
@Kelt @Vince thats why I think 3900k should be compared to 9900ks :) as 9900k is basically overclocked 9900k and 3900k and its XFR is basically self overclocking chip. Just look how AMD's last few years of products are.. They are runnin on 95% of chips maximum operational performance out of the box leaving slim to no gain from overclocking. Both GPU's and CPU's and this 9900ks is basically same thing running on almost max out of box. 3 Years ago I said Intel go it kinda planned..
If they need they add cores then more cores then Solder the IHS and bump clocks.... I WAS RIGHT. They are selling same tech with tweeks since what ?? 7700k ?? just making EZ gains.. TBH I dont think they can get away with more than this 9900ks can deliver its last thing they could have donw with 14nm PLUS PLUS PLUS ++++++ and few more PLUS :D

Permabanned
IMO it is more honest to list the all-core boost rather than a single core boost.
Irrespective of this, I find it hard to justify listing a single core boost on a product that's upper bounds is ultimately limited to your choice of cooling solution...as XFR2 seemingly suggests.
After few of out Zen overclocking members from OCN had cpus fried by XFR putting too much volts in cpus. I stay away from it. It's ok for gaming and rendering not for heavy benching sadly TESTED. On the good side AMD replaced all of the dead cpus :)

Soldato

That’s what interests me, the all core overclocking potential without going right to the limits. It would need to be at least an easy 4.5Ghz for me to upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom