• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Permabanned
In my many years of being involved with PC's, both personally and professionally, the amount of people I've known who overclock their CPU's and GFX is minimal.

The users who have their own DIY systems is minimal. Most users sit on smartphones and laptops.

Soldato
The users who have their own DIY systems is minimal. Most users sit on smartphones and laptops.

Anecdotally the people I know that got into PC gaming usually started with a pre-built or laptop. The get a friend's help ( mine ) for an upgrade or two later, when a build where a friend helps them build it, and then later then do it themselves.

So far none of those have done any overclocking yet.

One recently went from a 2500K to 2700X system ( kept his GTX 980 for now though ), chap was super proud of building it himself, even in his early 30's.
Another took the plunge from Laptop to desktop, but got a pre-built from OcUk - that great 2600 + Vega 56 deal they had a few months back. They might eventually try overlocking, but seriously doubt it.

Permabanned
Anecdotally the people I know that got into PC gaming usually started with a pre-built or laptop. The get a friend's help ( mine ) for an upgrade or two later, when a build where a friend helps them build it, and then later then do it themselves.

So far none of those have done any overclocking yet.

One recently went from a 2500K to 2700X system ( kept his GTX 980 for now though ), chap was super proud of building it himself, even in his early 30's.
Another took the plunge from Laptop to desktop, but got a pre-built from OcUk - that great 2600 + Vega 56 deal they had a few months back. They might eventually try overlocking, but seriously doubt it.

In this particular case with a 2600 and Vega 56, it is better if they touch the settings to undervolt the things for better thermals and consumption, if they haven't already.

Yup... My mate rescvently spend 2k on laptop to play wow....... god damn laptop !!!! he never takes it out of home ffs

Wow isn't a demanding game, is it? Why didn't you tell him that he can save a lot by doing something else?

Soldato
In this particular case with a 2600 and Vega 56, it is better if they touch the settings to undervolt the things for better thermals and consumption, if they haven't already.

Wow isn't a demanding game, is it? Why didn't you tell him that he can save a lot by doing something else?

Later expansions are quite CPU intensive especially in large raids. Something which my 1700 used to fall over in.

Soldato

I mentioned it to him along with Ryzen master and the videos online, chap doesn't wanna touch it yet.

As for WoW, it's gotten quite hard on systems; it recently got DX12 support, which saw a nice 20-25% increase in performance for CPU limited areas; but the old engine and trying to cram in physics, massive particle effects, HBAO, newer shadow tech and more can even make top end cards bugger out.

It's still mostly a 1-2 CPU core demanding game, but with the latest updates can leverage more, but still very old and efficient tech; so you just brute force it with modern over the top specs to try and keep 60FPS in raids :p

Before the updates in raids, and 40v40 pvp brawls the FPS in my system with 5820K and 980Tis would drop to 10-20fps ( shown in top right corner under minimap ).

kkDgSth.jpg

TOrTMxl.jpg

Permabanned

Image some of spend spare cash on coke and hookers if they dont spend it on stuff... He's on of them lol.

Im like Why 2 hell you got laptop not desktop ?? Cause i like playing in my bed... FACEPALM hard one !!!

Permabanned
I mentioned it to him along with Ryzen master and the videos online, chap doesn't wanna touch it yet.

As for WoW, it's gotten quite hard on systems; it recently got DX12 support, which saw a nice 20-25% increase in performance for CPU limited areas; but the old engine and trying to cram in physics, massive particle effects, HBAO, newer shadow tech and more can even make top end cards bugger out.

It's still mostly a 1-2 CPU core demanding game, but with the latest updates can leverage more, but still very old and efficient tech; so you just brute force it with modern over the top specs to try and keep 60FPS in raids :p

Before the updates in raids, and 40v40 pvp brawls the FPS in my system with 5820K and 980Tis would drop to 10-20fps ( shown in top right corner under minimap ).

kkDgSth.jpg

TOrTMxl.jpg
I know thats why I need more single core performance as a Wow player. Could have 16 core TR with 64gb ram... Wow would still run like crap !!

Associate
I bought the same probably at the same time after seeing a couple of reviews saying it will probably be B die but my set turned out to be Hynix :( It runs at 2933 with a first gen Ryzen but won't do 3200 stable even at the slack default timings.

Exactly the same situation here. My out-of-the-gate 1600 was certainly not the best of the litter. I had to bust my nuts with research to get 2933 stable. That said, I'm really not the best overclocker out there so I can't put all the blame on my 1600 :D

What makes you think they won't be "anywhere close" when even the Zen+ systems at 'realistic' resolutions aren't THAT far away? By realistic I mean someone paying £500 for a 9900k isn't buying it to game at less than, or probably even 1080p.

Actually I think that market is quite a lot bigger than you think it is. Not huge in the grand scheme, but there is most definitely a market there, me included.

Permabanned
I know thats why I need more single core performance as a Wow player. Could have 16 core TR with 64gb ram... Wow would still run like crap !!

But if 5820K and 980Ti are enough for 10 FPS, I think that a system which runs this Wow normally doesn't exist and will never exist. :confused:

Man of Honour
But even here the other members recommend overclocking instead new purchases for systems housing ivy bridge, haswell, even sandy bridge, etc...

Yea but "even here" suggests that a normal user would hunt down an enthusiast forum. Most of them just go to their supplier of choice and say "this isn't fast enough, what is faster for xyz tasks?"

Then they buy that.

After few of out Zen overclocking members from OCN had cpus fried by XFR putting too much volts in cpus. I stay away from it. It's ok for gaming and rendering not for heavy benching sadly TESTED. On the good side AMD replaced all of the dead cpus :)

How many volts you putting through them you nutter? Even under sensible cooling I've seen xfr on my 1950x do stupid stuff like nearly 1.6v. What have you gotta do to fry one of these?

Soldato

I might come back for Classic, my guild, and friends all stopped playing in BFA :(

At least with classic we'll have far more impressive weather effects, and the FPS will be super high for once - all the time :D

But if 5820K and 980Ti are enough for 10 FPS, I think that a system which runs this Wow normally doesn't exist and will never exist. :confused:

It's got it's moments lately; but the game needs a new engine. Warcraft 3 engine modified isn't cutting it anymore.

Those screenshots are also the worst case, but for an MMO, having loads of players and enemies around is normal, and expected.

Soldato
Hah, I'm after this 'feature' too. It should be a standard thing I think!
only one I can lay my hands on.

wouldn't actually be that hard to solder on your own side mount 24 pin to any board. Assuming you can buy them.
msi-prestige_x570_creation-overview.png

Permabanned
@Vince Nothing STOCK XFR CAN FRY CPU !!!! We had Few of those this is most rescent. Had few on 1800x also.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/11-...og-crosshair-vii-overclocking-thread-629.html

It was the CPU definitevly. After replacing it all my issues went away. Seems like the past 2-3 (2xxx series) bios updates and subsequent AMD chipset updates damaged my CPU. My guess is PBO, XFR, and overdrive.

I had everything on default with an auto offset on Vcore, was running PE level 3 until these issues started. Maybe the new bios updates gave my CPU too much voltage when it was boosting my clocks? In any case happy to be back up and running.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom