• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
You're probably right. I don't play csgo much anymore so I'm not thrashing it very often at least :D

In CSGO I'm not really sure honestly, the only reason I say that is because if I play Apex without G-sync I will get screen tear so I assume that it would help.

You're most likely getting well below 144FPS on Apex, a lot of the time (at least for the lows).

Soldato
The point of an AM4+ would be to be compatible with both DDR5 and DDR4. First gen DDR5 CPUs will almost certainly be compatible with DDR4. It'll be too expensive and supply too weak, with initial speeds and timings not all that attractive to enthusiast / HEDT.

I can't imagine DDR5 DIMMs are going to be pin incompatible with DDR4?

One advantage of the chiplet design is they could easily spin DDR4 / PCI-E 4 and DDR5 / PCI-E 5 versions with different IO controllers made on an inexpensive node. CCX chiplets can be common to both but importantly, AMD don't have to commit the expenisve CCX chiplets to either platform giving them great supply chain flexibility.

Soldato
Doubt there will be any improvement beyond 1903 for a while.

I can't imagine MS will make it worse for Zen 2 ... I don't think they could swing that given that they've had access to it for ages, and it's going in XB Next.
To be clear, the scheduling update is in the May 2019 update for Windows 10 v1903. Stock v1903 doesn't include it.

Basically keep your copy of Windows 10 up to date to get it. :)

Associate
One advantage of the chiplet design is they could easily spin DDR4 / PCI-E 4 and DDR5 / PCI-E 5 versions with different IO controllers made on an inexpensive node. CCX chiplets can be common to both but importantly, AMD don't have to commit the expenisve CCX chiplets to either platform giving them great supply chain flexibility.

I don't see why they'd do that, though. It'd be confusing for the average end user and more expensive for them.

PCIe 5.0 sees some latency improvements, doubling of bandwidth again, and improved signal integrity, but it's supposedly less of a change than 3.0 to 4.0, in terms of engineering and software etc. I also don't see why the memory controller couldn't function as both DDR4 and DDR5. They're not completely different memory standards. One is a logical extension of the other.

To be clear, the scheduling update is in the May 2019 update for Windows 10 v1903. Stock v1903 doesn't include it.

Yeah, I'm aware. But wasn't mindful of it when I wrote that. I did mean 1903 including the AMD scheduler improvement.

I suppose it will be interesting to see what uplift Zen 2 gets from it, as supposedly all benches so far have been on v18xx.

I'm mainly interested to see what the difference ends up being once mitigations are applied to the Intel CPUs ... but I think we'll have to look around for those.

Associate
I want to get the 3800X since I have high hopes for it to overclock really good due to the 105W TDP which matches the 3900X and 3950X. I just hope that is the reason why it has a high TDO compared to the 3700X.

Soldato
I'm seeing less core hopping with the scheduler update, threads seem to be a bit more sticky.

More interesting is I'm seeing much less use of the SMT cores. It looks like it's scheduling per real core now and only using SMT when it really needs to.

In that way it looks a lot more like how macOS has handled scheduling for a long time.

Interested to see if others are finding the same.

Associate
Caporegime
Caporegime
I mean he's right and I've been arguing about AMD's use of an RTX 2080 at their conference.

But is there anyone who looked at this slide and thought it had any merit what so ever?

hchB8Qj.png

As i said above AMD used a higher quality setting than GN used, I don't really know what Steve's problem is, either its a test of how good a CPU can stream and game at the same time or you're using lower quality settings that don't really stress the CPU's, in which case its not really a test of'

Honestly i just don't get Steve on this and he has not explained himself so i don't think he has an argument, Steve sometimes likes to draw attention to the size of his ego when it comes to stuff hardware and this to me looks like one of those occasions.

Caporegime
AMD used a more demanding higher quality setting than they used, its pushed the CPU's to the point where the 9900K fell flat on it's face, that shows the 3900X is better, i don't know what his big problem is? if not stressing the CPU's then its not really a test.

Because they're almost trying to pretend you can't stream and game without said processor.

It was an absolute ludicrous comparison and was bad form.

Associate
As i said above AMD used a higher quality setting than GN used, I don't really know what Steve's problem is, either its a test of how good a CPU can stream and game at the same time or you're using lower quality settings that don't really stress the CPU's, in which case its not really a test of'

Honestly i just don't get Steve on this and he has not explained himself so i don't think he has an argument, Steve sometimes likes to draw attention to the size of his ego when it comes to stuff hardware and this to me looks like one of those occasions.

here here , usually the one nodding my head in complete agreement with him but yeah im forced to disagree entirely with him on this one. Hes just obviously spotted out that the encoding stream is of very high quality and has gone ohhh here i can pick on something. Best bit about it is he said himself the only thing he could pick on is the FLIR test. but now hes had more time to pick an issue here he is . i spotted the encode quality the minuite AMD presented it and personally have no issue with it . Shows what each CPU is and isnt capable off.

HRL

HRL

Soldato

It may very well be my imagination but GTA V seems to be running a little more smoothly for me.

Are there actually any figures out there to back up their claimed improvements other than the AMD supplied slides we’ve seen?

Permabanned
Back
Top Bottom