• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
Yes, but what does that have to do with the Crosshair VIII Hero? Just because Asus are slapping on a few more components and charging a fortune doesn't mean the tier below will be just as expensive, and it doesn't mean it'll be much more affordable. We don't know yet.

What? I was commenting on the LOLworthy price of the Formula,then you went in defending the price saying the Hero would be cheaper.

People did the same with the Titan class cards saying it was fine as there were "cheaper" 80TI cards. But the pricing started going up. The Z390 equivalent is £400 with the same feature set apart from PCI-E 4.0 support. So where is the added £275 coming from? It's Asus testing the water,and if people have mentality accepted the pricing now expect motherboard pricing to go up the next generation too.

Also FYI you can find the price of the Hero. With VAT and assuming a perfect conversion rate,it will be £340 to £380 at least,but the Formula pricing listed is nearly £20 more than a perfect conversion rate,so its probably £350 to £400.

So the price of an Asus top tier AM4 motherboard is now £675. The top Asus X470 motherboard is sub £250.

Edit!!

LMAO:
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-Crosshair-VIII-Hero/specifications/
https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-XI-FORMULA/

The Maximus Formula has 5GbE and the Hero since its too cheap drops down to half that.

Yet the Asus Tachi X470 had 10 GbE.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been researching if it's worth getting higher frequency RAM such as DDR4 3600. There's a review below, which shows significant peformance improvements in some games and other tasks below, but it's tested on an i7.

There's also some benchmarks popping up that seem to show some improvement to scores, when using higher speed RAM.

I've been struggling to find a motherboard that's reasonably priced (say £100 or less) that supports DDR4 3600. The Asus ROG STRIX B450-I GAMING motherboard does support it, but isn't cheap in the UK.

I notice that some cheaper boards support upto DDR4-3466.
For B450/X470 anything over 2933 MHz (highest of Zen+) advertised by mobo makers isn't official, but overclocked speed.

Though problem has been mostly about integrated memory controller being mediocre and needing CPU with very good IMC to get such speeds.
According to Buildzoid most not badly done current boards should do 3600MHz when coupled with CPU with good memory controller, like what Zen2 should have.
Anyway best to wait reviews.
No doubt we'll see lots of testing with also current boards fast.

Also for gaming 3733MHz is likely the highest memory clock it's sensible to aim for.
While memory bandwidth (+synthetic benchmark scores) keeps increasing after that, speed of CPU's internal InfinityFabric bus gets halved.
That worsens both memory latency and inter-CCX communication latency.
And both latency to RAM and in communication between cores are important for games.

Last edited:
Soldato
MSI MEG X570 Godlike is £777.

UW41zAu.png

A £777 motherboard on page 777 of this thread - another £200 over the Z390 equivalent. It appears the Z390 equivalents will be significantly cheaper than the X570 equivalents,and I suspect cheaper X570 motherboards will be cut down quite a bit! :(

It makes me wonder whether AMD pricing the CPUs cheaper,is being compensated by them doing stealth price increases on the motherboards together with their partners! I am a bit worried for the pricing of the B550 based motherboards now.

Back
Top Bottom