• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
Do you think there is any chance of seeing any emulator benchmarks for the 3600 etc. in the near future or will they take a while to come out?

Soldato
Rather than buying a 12/16 core, wouldn't it be a lot cheaper just to buy two 3600 / 3700X and put them in a dual socket motherboard? That is, if they become available. Maybe there's a reason why people don't do this though?

Soldato
I’m curious about that as well.

I’m just going to assume Windows sees it as two cpus instead of one 12 core? And if that’s the case it’s only useful for running multiple workloads. But I don’t actually know how it works

Soldato
Rather than buying a 12/16 core, wouldn't it be a lot cheaper just to buy two 3600 / 3700X and put them in a dual socket motherboard? That is, if they become available. Maybe there's a reason why people don't do this though?

When did you last see a consumer dual socket CPU board for retail consumer CPUs?

It's the realm of server boards with server chips. Dual socket processing has it's own host of issues.

Soldato
Is there any chance of cheaper x570 motherboards becoming available? Say for around £100? That would make my decision a lot easier... There doesn't seem to be a much difference in price between x470 and cheaper x570 boards. Perhaps the x470s will come down soon.

Caporegime
When did you last see a consumer dual socket CPU board for retail consumer CPUs?

It's the realm of server boards with server chips. Dual socket processing has it's own host of issues.

Server boards don't use the same chips, though I believe it sounds like there might be an 8 core version of Rome, it's for guys who want 8 channel memory, the full I/O die, shedloads of bandwidth, storage, etc, but not a lot of cpu power. It will still be a full Rome package, it will still be a Rome socket it will still be server only and a dual socket server motherboard will cost more than a 16 core 3950x at launch. In reality when Intel drop 10 core chips and reduce HEDT prices I fully expect longer term, maybe before 2020, 16 core will drop towards £500, 12 core will drop towards £350 and 8 cores will drop a decent amount too.

Regardless, the highest bin 8 core is supposed to be what, $400, while the highest clocking chip in the range is a 16 core at $750. It's already cheaper to buy one 3950x than two 3800x's already. This all ignoring the massive latency hit and complications of using dual cpus rather than two chiplets controlled by the same I/O die within the same package.

Associate
didn't, in one of his videos, he mention that was worst case? i.e. the poorest quality 8 pin connector that barely meets the standard, and the lowest gauge PSU cable? I can't remember if he ever mentioned a range, or best case, but I'm assuming ~400-450W?

Why is info on the CH8 hero so light?

Indeed he did:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m33iSRq_XJ0&t=22m18s

He was rounding down as well when he did the 384W calculation. Without rounding down, then the calculation would have been as per below.

Low current version of power connections (18-AWG cabling):
8.5A x 4 pin pairs x 12V = 408W

High current version of power connections (16-AWG cabling):
13A x 4 pin pairs x 12V = 624W

Associate
Well found. So assuming worst case ambient cooling on a 2950x, the CPU is drawing ~200A @ 1.2V for the VRM, that's a requirement of 240W. not even 40% of it's capability.

Easy to say why he keeps trelling us to forget about it in every preview video!

Soldato
To give an idea how over built boards are in the AMD video the guy decided to make the scale much bigger on the unused capability diagram to reflect how much capacity VRM's typically have.

Personally I dont think I will ever be pumping 250+ watts through my cpu for daily use, especially as the scaling at those voltages/watts is abysmal but some people will lap it up. I would consider going 20-50w over TDP tho. I allow my 8600k to go 30W over TDP.

Associate
I'm still planning on x570 simply for the reason, like my 4790k system, it's going to have to last the next ~5-6 years before the next platform upgrade. Also, seeing as there'll be an AIO directly above the VRM, I'd rather it be drawing the coolest air possible through it

Associate
I'm still planning on x570 simply for the reason, like my 4790k system, it's going to have to last the next ~5-6 years before the next platform upgrade. Also, seeing as there'll be an AIO directly above the VRM, I'd rather it be drawing the coolest air possible through it

Exactly my plan. I've had my 4770k since 2013 and plan to have the next system for 5-6 years so don't mind spending a wee bit more than I normally would to get the next tier up on MB and CPU. I'll also be having an up top AIO.

Back
Top Bottom