• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
Meanwhile other sites in Europe have opened pre-orders, I wonder if it's like review embargos: if someone does it in the UK, then all the other sites will be able (or have) to.

Associate
Genuinely, what's the point of matx when mitx is smaller?
Less sacrifice. In mATX the most you lose are pcie slots, and you are still left with 3-4.
In ITX you can't get 4 ram slots, can't have a second PCIE slot, so need to rely on internal soundcard.
Meanwhile my GENE VIII will kick most ATX Z170 in features and capabilities.

What you gain is a smaller case. But to get a case that supports at least a 240mm rad with ITX, you end up with something in dimensions of mATX case anyway.

Soldato
Well your contacts are wrong.

Gaming is by far the least comercial market for 8Pack units. Although its still healthy numbers I target comercial customers who need more speed for 95%+ of my sales.

Not going to get into an argument with you about availability.

I am sure plenty of companies buy your systems, no need to try and defend your brand, but you'll see most of the kit I design in 19" racks, or custom enclosures/chassis. My work involves long term availability, embedded technologies, a high level of quality assurance alongside super tight revision control, and sometimes COTS builds using the components you love to love. I am sure that 90% of the hardware vendors I work with you'd have never heard of, but then the computing industry is huge and reselling desktop parts is barely scratching the surface, I am sure we both can say that. :)

Soldato
I dont like ITX and i would like to have a 3950x on a affordable small case :'(
"Affordable small case" and SFF builds do not go hand-in-hand. Cheap cases for small builds are usually woeful for airflow and cooling capacity, especially if you're looking at putting the 16 core beast in there. ANd what's wrong with ITX? Does everything MATX does in a much smaller package.

Soldato
If amd release a gpu that is almost as powerful as the top end a year late, people cry.
Radeon 7 was a PR stunt that offered nothing new and was priced at a point made possible only by Nvidia's greed.
Navi 10 also offers nothing immediately new and no real differentiator, yet is charged at Nvidia's inflated price points.

Ergo the perception is AMD are just playing in the skewed market that Nvidia created and fleecing their customer base.

If amd release a cpu that is almost as powerful as the top end a year late, people are overjoyed.
Zen 2 is forward thinking and in every metric that actually matters is better than Intel across the stack. AMD are technology and process leaders at this point in time, yet they are not abusing that position to fleece their customers; Ryzen 3000 is a smidgen more expensive than the previous generations, but not unjustifiably so, and they are also not locking their customers into motherboard upgrades either, or indeed even forcing you to purchase the latest board for the latest chip.

Ergo the perception is AMD are offering choice, competition and taking the fight to Intel, and as a side effect bring a little sanity to CPU prices.

So that's the difference.

Associate
German rainforest has pre-orders up. Prices are...high. GBP equivalents:

R5 3600: £236
R5 3600X: £287
R7 3700X: £367
R7 3800X: £414
R9 3900X £489

3900x seems fine, but normal people are not interested in that chip. At those prices I will happily walk away and keep playing on my 4770k.

Back
Top Bottom