• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen 4" thread (inc AM5/APU discussion) ***

Associate
Dumb question about the 7000s... if I have an nvidia gpu, can I still install the onboard graphics drivers and use that to power my non-gaming monitors? Not sure if it will have issues with both sets of drivers, or if it's even worth doing really, but interested to know. Maybe it saves a bit of vram and gains a few fps if youtube is running on another screen? :)
Yes, thats how I use mine. No problems
Never got around to testing whether it is worth it.

As a note, for video playback to use integrated graphics, it is not enough to put it on the second monitor. Need to assign individual apps to use video acceleration from iGPU.

In Settings - Display Options - Graphics settings
choose application and pick Power saving [GPU integrated graphics] option.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes, thats how I use mine. No problems
Never got around to testing whether it is worth it.

As a note, for video playback to use integrated graphics, it is not enough to put it on the second monitor. Need to assign individual apps to use video acceleration from iGPU.

In Settings - Display Options - Graphics settings
choose application and pick Power saving [GPU integrated graphics] option.

Well that fascinating, thanks for the heads up :) I would have assumed video playback would be done by the gpu that is physically wired to the monitor the video is on...

Associate
I was thinking about this - there was a feature back on my i5 motherboard to switch or add the power of the iGPU. I guess that didn't work out, same as SLI.

But what about being able to pass-through the power of the graphics card through the motherboard/iGPU so when not gaming the graphics could fully turn off and just use iGPU on the desktop for most tasks?

Soldato
But what about being able to pass-through the power of the graphics card through the motherboard/iGPU so when not gaming the graphics could fully turn off and just use iGPU on the desktop for most tasks?
This would be good. Probably add a small amount of latency though. Someone from AMD was taking about doing this, think laptops might do this now?

Soldato
This would be good. Probably add a small amount of latency though. Someone from AMD was taking about doing this, think laptops might do this now?

Laptops with dGPU's have been doing this for a number of years, Optimus for Nvidia and a name that escapes me for AMD. Much more recently they have been adding in Mux switches to allow the dGPU to bypass the iGPU when you want the best possible 3D gaming performance (avoiding the latency of going via the iGPU).

Would be kind of cool to see that occur on desktops when the correct configuration is identified by the OS. Make the dGPU go to complete sleep (not just lower clocks) and then fire up when needed. Both current mainstream platforms from Intel / AMD offer up iGPU's so it should be possible, at least in theory. Although would get messy with "F" SKU's from Intel if a quick "if F sku disable all of these options" isn't a thing.

Maybe its a pipedream but would be nice to cut a few more watts when the system is just being used to browse the internet or general office use.

Soldato
Maybe its a pipedream but would be nice to cut a few more watts when the system is just being used to browse the internet or general office use.

Down side is anyone with 3+ screens can't really get enough outputs from the motherboard. But if they could use the dGPU outputs while putting the chip itself to sleep, then I'd be all for switching to iGPU to run my desktop.

Soldato
Down side is anyone with 3+ screens can't really get enough outputs from the motherboard. But if they could use the dGPU outputs while putting the chip itself to sleep, then I'd be all for switching to iGPU to run my desktop.

That is a valid thought which I hadn't considered. I was very much thinking how laptops do it and forgetting about the physical separation of ports.

Soldato
That is a valid thought which I hadn't considered. I was very much thinking how laptops do it and forgetting about the physical separation of ports.

I just think about it a lot because I have 4 screens. Yes it is a lot of cabling, and not very neat or symmetrical, 2 of them are just monitors I've borrowed from other places! :cry:

Soldato
Another BIOS (B650E-E) has been released, it’s strange as it’s gone from 1222, 1410 Beta and the new one is 1224. Think the new one drops Support for high density DDR5 module. On the ROG forum, it was said that support for high density DDR5 module is not official yet. I’m on 1410 Beta so will just skip the new one.

Soldato
AMD's planned obsolescence?

Their brand new 6 core CPU struggles in the newest game - even with a 3080. Higher cards are out of the picture completely

7600xlmao.JPG.cde2a11a602bc3f1079c0f65874c88a7.JPG

Back
Top Bottom