• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen 4" thread (inc AM5/APU discussion) ***

Techpowerup has a bunch of reviews up!

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X Review - Impressive 16-core Powerhouse
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X Review - Creator Might, Priced Right
AMD Ryzen 7 7700X Review - The Best Zen 4 for Gaming
AMD Ryzen 5 7600X Review - Affordable Zen 4 for Gaming

TechRadar home of the GPU bound benchmarks.
Seriously a 3080. They couldn't afford at least a 3090 !
The 1440 results are full of GPU bound titles.

So for high end these are good, bu come at a cost, but for anything below that, in many cases get beat my Intel's mids (12700/12600) - Going by the LInus video.

At least it highlights that I don't really have anything to be miffed about for relative performance:p

At least for casual gaming and everyday productivity...

Last edited:
That is by design. The boost is aimed at highest possible amount. If you had a tiny heatsink it would aim for 95 as well.

They can say anything is by design. I would like to understand their reasoning behind this design choice. For decades we have been told that running silicon at higher temps can potentially shortens its lifespan. When a company then tells you the exact opposite they should be explaining the science behind this reasoning.

What I am concerned about is AMD saying in 3 years time "we did an oopsie, your fault so buy a new cpu". I may change my mind on this but at the moment I have concerns.

So 7600x consumes as much as the 12600k while performing worse. Yay
Huh? The 7600x in gaming is showing it 20% faster over the 12600k in gaming at 1080p when paired with a 3090Ti (for average over 12 games) and the CPU the bottleneck and within 1% of the 12900k.

Average = 211fps vs 176fps - 20% better
Lows = 166fps vs 136fps - 22% better

That means the lows on the AMD is almost as good as the average as well at only 5% lower lowers than Intels average.

Last edited:
Reviews are out and I am not impressed. Little concerned tbh, running at 95C all the time is not something I am happy about.

No way I am updating from 5800x and 5900x that are in my systems.

They are very impressive, but not for gaming especially at 1440p/4K as those are GPU bottlenecked. I'm keeping my 5800X until Zen 5 and will wait for AM5 and DDR5 prices to come down. Zen 3 -> Zen 4 is a poor upgrade.

Last edited:
Quick glance 7950x in multi core is a beast, gaming noting amazing to shout about also shows how good 3d 5800x is for gaming

Add 3d to zen4 with higher clocks and ddr5 should be big uplift

They are very impressive, but not for gaming especially at 1440p/4K as those are GPU bottlenecked. I'm keeping my 5800X until Zen 5 and will wait for AM5 and DDR5 prices to come down. Zen 3 -> Zen 4 is a poor upgrade.

Oh in some ways they are incredibly impressive. If you are running a Blender workload then this is a must have upgrade but in a lot of other areas the 7000 series is very lacklustre.

I would also be very hesitant about a DDR5 upgrade if I was running 128gb of DDR4 lol

Back
Top Bottom