• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen 4" thread (inc AM5/APU discussion) ***

Intel's CPU's have been pulling multiple 100's of watts for some years now, some Xeon's were pulling 500 watts, the 10900K pulled over 200.

Again why would this be a problem now? Now that AMD are doing it, why was it not a problem in all of the years Intel have been doing it?

Steve Burke never gave AMD any kudos for the efficiency of their CPU's during the previous years compared with Intel, instead he tried to manipulate in such a way as to make you believe AMD was somehow being dishonest while at the same time his own testing, which he can't fake without looking like a blatant lair, showed he was talking absolute nonsense.

That question is obviously not aimed at you, its rhetorical :)
It isn't the watts its pulling its the 92 degree temps that it runs at.
"By design" is just an excuse. They had to push it that far to hit those speeds.
Hopefully undervolting will help negate the issue.

It isn't the watts its pulling its the 92 degree temps that it runs at.
"By design" is just an excuse. They had to push it that far to hit those speeds.
Hopefully undervolting will help negate the issue.

Undervolting or just lowering the temp limits both increase performance, AMD overvolted the **** out of the ryzen 7000, there is much headroom for lower temps and higher clocks - at the same time.

A 7950x runs at 95c for no good reason other than it's overvolted, you can keep that voltage and push the clocks an extra 400mhz+ higher or you can keep stock clockspeed, but drop voltage and get temps down to 75c from 95c

Last edited:
Undervolting or just lowering the temp limits both increase performance, AMD overvolted the **** out of the ryzen 7000, there is much headroom for lower temps and higher clocks - at the same time.

A 7950x runs at 95c for no good reason other than it's overvolted, you can keep that voltage and push the clocks an extra 400mhz+ higher or you can keep stock clockspeed, but drop voltage and get temps down to 75c from 95c
yep, it's your choice. Choose the performance required or leave it in 'Intel mode'

or enable eco mode, and voila, same speeds less volts. Bless son, stop believing the Intel paid for media.

Post link to your source for where Zen4 runs at "same speed" (same performance) at this Eco mode please, curious to see :)

Perhaps you should be in charge of AMD's marketing, as you could have mandated that the reviewers all use the 65W ECO mode. The reviews would have been much better; lower power, lower temperatures, revolutionary. Maybe a job opportunity for you there?

Last edited:
Post link to your source for where Zen4 runs at "same speed" (same performance) at this Eco mode please, curious to see :)

Perhaps you should be in charge of AMD's marketing, as you could have mandated that the reviewers all use the 65W ECO mode. Maybe a job opportunity for you there?

Maybe you should revisit those reviews, or, actually pay attention to them instead of trying to push your employers agenda.

The reviews have been excellent, for Ryzen 7000 series at least, Dave.
8PT6ys7.png
IhfT8Yj.png

I'd say they were underwhelming overall. Also feels far less interest in them compared to Ryzen 5000 launch, which is telling.

My post was mostly to address Harlequin's claim that the 65W ECO mode made Zen4 run "at the same speed" - which is clearly false, else AMD would have shipped the CPU at 65W stock.

The reviews have been excellent, for Ryzen 7000 series at least, Dave.
8PT6ys7.png
IhfT8Yj.png
How so? I thought reviewers were paid by intel. What the heck

No doubt the 7950x is excellent, besides the power draw and heat issues that can be fixed. The rest of the lineup is basically amd trolling. They are just terrible

could I get away with running a 7600x on a 120mm AIO in 65w eco mode? I’m ITX and don’t really want to change form factor or buy a dearer case or AIO at least not for the short term. Otherwise I’ll have to go 5600x or wait and spend a load more money.

I do question when someone already has an z690 board and jumps on z790 board when you can just do drop in cpu upgrade to 13th gen jump isnt enough anyway unless you need it for productivity or are people got brain washed new intel cpu means I need new board ? , just looking what do you need from the z790 I dont see what it brings over thats worth to jump on it , or could I be missing something ?

Last edited:
I'd bought the 5800X3D on release with the intention of skipping the next generation, because my PC is just for general use and gaming these days.

I'm pleased with my decision.
Yeah I'm thinking of doing that since it's just the cost of the CPU. Or at least the option is there which is nice. I still think the new CPUs are great, just a bit expensive.

I'd bought the 5800X3D on release with the intention of skipping the next generation, because my PC is just for general use and gaming these days.

I'm pleased with my decision.

I think people see the 1080p charts high numbers but in reality will be most likely on 1440p and higher and 144hz results will be even closer will probably get better return upgrading gpu at some point in the future

I do question when someone already has an z690 board and jumps on z790 board when you can just do drop in cpu upgrade to 13th gen jump isnt enough anyway unless you need it for productivity or are people got brain washed new intel cpu means I need new board ? , just looking what do you need from the z790 I dont see what it brings over thats worth to jump on it , or could I be missing something ?
IMHO only a few Intel owners will choose an Intel upgrade because of 13th. gen. Only a few AMD owners will choose to upgrade on or to ZEN 3 because of Zen 4.
Anyone can upgrade to the new ZEN 4 platform.

could I get away with running a 7600x on a 120mm AIO in 65w eco mode? I’m ITX and don’t really want to change form factor or buy a dearer case or AIO at least not for the short term. Otherwise I’ll have to go 5600x or wait and spend a load more money.
Absolutely
Could just reduce the temp limit in BIOS or even leave it in stock.
These chips are very intelligent about how they reduce the clocks when hitting temp limit, no dumb throttling.

Back
Top Bottom