• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 5 rumours

Soldato
If it's only a 2 week delay it's not going to be anything major.
If there is an issue with reviewer units failing to meet expectations then what about all the retail units already shipped out? Are those being recalled?

Also with zen 5 being in production for a while now it’s quite concerning that they have only just picked this up.

Associate
If there is an issue with reviewer units failing to meet expectations then what about all the retail units already shipped out? Are those being recalled?

Also with zen 5 being in production for a while now it’s quite concerning that they have only just picked this up.
The reviewer units never went out by the sounds of it, and it's the retail ones that have been pulled back for evaluation.

I'm a little disappointed, but as others have said if it's this quick a turn around it's unlikely to be too serious an issue. And would rather them delay that ship stuff with a problem.

Soldato
The reviewer units never went out by the sounds of it, and it's the retail ones that have been pulled back for evaluation.

I'm a little disappointed, but as others have said if it's this quick a turn around it's unlikely to be too serious an issue. And would rather them delay that ship stuff with a problem.
If retail units have been recalled then that will be a huge recall as I imagine millions of these would have been shipped out globally for a big launch.

Associate
If retail units have been recalled then that will be a huge recall as I imagine millions of these would have been shipped out globally for a big launch.
According to GN system integrators already have these chips sitting in pre built ready to ship so a major hassle for them, still better to sort it now rather then later. Sounds like the new batches are ok and we will see a split launch of 9600 and 9700X on 8th and the others on 15rg

Associate
If reviewers have their units already then I assume they were from a later batch so are OK and no cherry picking more than has already happened. (I thought they were already in reviewer hands but Steve seems to suggest they don't have them yet)

But if retail recall only and all CPUs not specific batches then the known defect must hit multiple batches that AMD can't (yet) identify.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Annoying, but better than reports of dead chips a week after release. Wonder what they're checking for

Steve hinted at it.... if AMD release them now they would be going up against Intel's existing results, tech reviewers would just copy paste them from previous reviews, but if they wait for Intel to release microcode updates that are likely to nerf them those are the performance metrics they will be reviewed against.

Caporegime
There is no way AMD can "fix" whatever problem they have in 2 weeks, no..... IMO they have been arguing with reviewers about Intel's existing results being invalid, especially people like Hardware Unboxed who shoot for unrealistically obtainable memory speeds on Intel CPU's and call it normal when clearly its not.

They have probably been told "no, until Intel say otherwise that is the performance" to which AMD said fine we will wait until after the microcode patches.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Fair enough, not unreasonable but obviously reviewers can't do much to change Intel numbers until the patch lands

Yeah i agree but people also with these really high memory speeds that they spent 200 hours tuning to obtain on £500 memory kits and then pass that off as 3 click on £110 memory sticks is a bit cynical, they do it because for "fair competition reasons" its not fair to let very inexpensive very fast CPU's like the 7800X3D pull out too much of a win margin, its that Intel empathy leg up.

Last edited:
Associate
If reviewers have their units already then I assume they were from a later batch so are OK and no cherry picking more than has already happened. (I thought they were already in reviewer hands but Steve seems to suggest they don't have them yet)

But if retail recall only and all CPUs not specific batches then the known defect must hit multiple batches that AMD can't (yet) identify.
They do not have their review units yet. Steve mentioned this in the video

Associate

I'd assumed at least some were sent, but maybe not.

Caporegime
There is no way AMD can "fix" whatever problem they have in 2 weeks, no..... IMO they have been arguing with reviewers about Intel's existing results being invalid, especially people like Hardware Unboxed who shoot for unrealistically obtainable memory speeds on Intel CPU's and call it normal when clearly its not.

They have probably been told "no, until Intel say otherwise that is the performance" to which AMD said fine we will wait until after the microcode patches.

And you really think that said reviewers wouldn't spill the beans on amd arguing with them over intel results? They love behind the scenes dirt like this and would have a video up before you could blink going on about it.

Caporegime
If i was AMD i would be peed about this, from their point of view Intel juiced their CPU's to look more competitive and now they are obfuscating on dealing with that causing them to burnout prematurely for as long as possible in order to still look more competitive than they actually are. So no regrets at all...

i would be like: No i'm not playing that game.....

Last edited:
Associate
And you really think that said reviewers wouldn't spill the beans on amd arguing with them over intel results? They love behind the scenes dirt like this and would have a video up before you could blink going on about it.
Good point.

Someone would have leaked that conversation, and I'd imagine AMD wouldn't dare have said it to the likes of GN knowing they'd have a video on it within the hour.

Sometimes speculation is worse than AMD just coming out and saying they had a batch or two and they're being careful.

Back
Top Bottom