• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 5 rumours

Soldato
You can get that now (at least in mini ITX) as I was considering the ROG Strix X670E-I as I think the only difference between X670 and X870 is the faster memory speeds as that board has USB4. For mini ITX, that board is the only option if you want USB4 and it isn't cheap.
The other advantage of waiting is that maybe for X870 ITX, other vendors might launch on day 1 as I would really prefer not to buy Asus after the way they have been caught treating customers this year.

In general the B650 motherboards are half arsed efforts IMHO. None of them support PCI-E 5.0 main graphics card slots,and you are forced to pay at least £250+ for a B650E/X670E version. PCI-E 5.0 should be easy to implement on a mini-ITX motherboard(Intel ones have it for less money) due to short signal lengths and the chipset I/O isn't being taxed as much.

For me,also only Asus and ASRock motherboards are of interest. They have a centralised CPU socket which means less conflict with cases such as the NCase M1 which I own. The MSI and Gigabyte socket placement is higher up.

Last edited:
Soldato
A "what shall I do with the ES chip I have to hand?"

Suicide run!

Last edited:
Soldato
In general the B650 motherboards are half arsed efforts IMHO. None of them support PCI-E 5.0 main graphics card slots,and you are forced to pay at least £250+ for a B650E/X670E version. PCI-E 5.0 should be easy to implement on a mini-ITX motherboard(Intel ones have it for less money) due to short signal lengths and the chipset I/O isn't being taxed as much.

For me,also only Asus and ASRock motherboards are of interest. They have a centralised CPU socket which means less conflict with cases such as the NCase M1 which I own. The MSI and Gigabyte socket placement is higher up.
Im planning a build around the Dan A4 H2O now, the NCase M2 would have been my preferred choice but I doubt that will be in stock for a while :(
I was looking at and gently crying at the price they wanted for the Strix, but I remember paying £550 for my Rampage IV extreme when it first came out, and I don't mind spending on the mobo as it is at the heart of everything.

Associate
Some wins for AMD
1. Staggered launch date better for hype and sales
2. Under pretense of better testing process gets to ship pre-binned CPUs
3. Allow Intel to dig their hole deeper. Even if microcode update is not ready for testing, all reviewers will be extremely cautious with Intel results

Associate
Just a quick question on the new arrivals coming out, will it make a big difference on the price on the AM4 CPUs (looking at a 5800X3D to extend the life of my old kit)

Associate
Just a quick question on the new arrivals coming out, will it make a big difference on the price on the AM4 CPUs (looking at a 5800X3D to extend the life of my old kit)

Maybe, depends on performance and price of the new chips. I wouldn't expect massive drops, there's still a lot of folks on AM4 and the "best" chip is the 5800x3d so very little pressure to discount it if it's still selling well.

Last edited:
Soldato
Im planning a build around the Dan A4 H2O now, the NCase M2 would have been my preferred choice but I doubt that will be in stock for a while :(
I was looking at and gently crying at the price they wanted for the Strix, but I remember paying £550 for my Rampage IV extreme when it first came out, and I don't mind spending on the mobo as it is at the heart of everything.

They are overpriced for they offer. It's annoying when many don't even have a PCI-E 5.0 M2 slot and want to charge £200.
The 800 series boards aren't anything exciting IMO, It's just X670 with more USB and compatibility with faster memory kits but you can already get 7600+ working on X670 and anything higher is overkill.

The mini-ITX motherboards are low rate efforts for AM5. All use the same Promontory 21 chipset too - yet the same companies are OK putting in PCI-E 5.0 for cheaper Intel motherboards. Hoping they refresh them with B850/X870 motherboards with better connectivity for the price. The only two mini-ITX motherboards upto 3000 I would even consider are the budget A620 one from ASRock(one of the cheapest ones at £160!) or the Asus B650I one which is between £250 to £300. If I am spending near enough £300 anyway on a motherboard,I might as well save up some more and get a newer one.

Last edited:
Caporegime

“out of an abundance of caution.”

This is not because AMD’s found any issues with the actual chips, spokesperson Stacy MacDiarmid tells The Verge. Rather, AMD discovered some of its chips didn’t go through all of the proper testing procedures, and the company wants to make sure they do.

So 2 weeks more testing? We do things proper, i didn't know AMD were from Yorkshire, Where's Patrick?

Last edited:
Soldato
They are overpriced for they offer. It's annoying when many don't even have a PCI-E 5.0 M2 slot and want to charge £200.

The mini-ITX motherboards are low rate efforts for AM5. All use the same Promontory 21 chipset too - yet the same companies are OK putting in PCI-E 5.0 for cheaper Intel motherboards. Hoping they refresh them with B850/X870 motherboards with better connectivity for the price. The only two mini-ITX motherboards upto 3000 I would even consider are the budget A620 one from ASRock(one of the cheapest ones at £160!) or the Asus B650I one which is between £250 to £300. If I am spending near enough £300 anyway on a motherboard,I might as well save up some more and get a newer one.

I haven't looked at Intel for 10yrs so I don't know what they offer any more tbh.
All the ITX boards I looked at offered PCI-E 5.0 M2 on the top of the board and a PCI-E 4.0 M2 either stacked on the top or an additional slot on the back of the mobo which was good enough for me.
It is pretty impressive how much they can cram on to such a tiny board now, that's partly (as well as the need to save space) why I decided ITX for this build, I feel it is finally getting there now, especially with the innovative cases around such as Form D, Dan and NCASE

Soldato
I haven't looked at Intel for 10yrs so I don't know what they offer any more tbh.
All the ITX boards I looked at offered PCI-E 5.0 M2 on the top of the board and a PCI-E 4.0 M2 either stacked on the top or an additional slot on the back of the mobo which was good enough for me.
It is pretty impressive how much they can cram on to such a tiny board now, that's partly (as well as the need to save space) why I decided ITX for this build, I feel it is finally getting there now, especially with the innovative cases around such as Form D, Dan and NCASE

I have not had an ATX build for nearly 20 years and do mostly SFF builds for mates now. The B650 motherboards were dissapointing in how they stagnated over the previous generation IMHO.

My B450I(and the X470I) had dual slots in 2018. But AMD nerfed a PCI-E 4.0 update for it! :( The B550/X570 motherboards could also do dual slots.

There are 4 B650 mini-ITX motherboards available - only two have PCI-E 5.0 M2 slots and the rest are all PCI-E 4.0 for everything. The A620 mini-ITX boards start at £150 to £160 and are all PCI-E 4.0 too. Basically most of the sub £250 AM5 mini-ITX motherboards haven't improved that much. For the sort of money they are charging all the B650 boards should have PCI-E 5.0,especially as the signal lengths are very short. This means the AIB partners CBA to pay for certification costs.The three B650E/X670E motherboards which are all PCI-E 5.0 are over £250. There were Intel motherboards as low as £150 which supported it. A basic Intel mini-ITX motherboard(DDR5 and equivalent of the A620) is available from around £100.

2nd hand ofc.

Nice price on it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom