• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 5 rumours

Associate
I cannot believe a large enough volume of misnamed CPUs, enough to warrant a recall were shipped out without being noticed, how was this not picked up considering you can see the CPUs name without even opening the box.
It is more then just a little ridiculous for sure

Soldato
I cannot believe a large enough volume of misnamed CPUs, enough to warrant a recall were shipped out without being noticed, how was this not picked up considering you can see the CPUs name without even opening the box.

You cannot believe a product went through a packaging line that’s mostly automated and found its way into the supply chain with a typo?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Surely not even AMD would should themselves in the foot so badly over something so minor? I know they have form for making a completely unnecessary mess of things, but that would be ridiculous.

AMD had a golden launch opportunity with the Intel 13th and 14th gen debacle. After Intel finally acknowledged that a major problem existed and before Intel released a possible potential partial mitigation. Not only did AMD throw away that open goal, they did so in a way that makes it look like they did so because there's a problem with AMD CPUs, a problem serious enough to ensure that AMD won't say anything about it at all. Exactly the same as Intel did about the problem with their CPUs. Right when problems like that are front and centre because of Intel 13th and 14th gen. The worst possible time to keep mostly silent about problems with a CPU and say that all the new CPUs have "quality issues". That might be the worst thing to say at the worst time to say it. It's certainly near the top of the list.

All for some sense of embarrassment over a trivial typo that has no effect on anything other than collectability. Who on earth would sign off on that course of action?

I agree with the point you make about "they aren't fixing a CPU problem in 2 weeks". I agree that does imply it's something trivial, something not really about the CPU at all. A typo on the labelling on the IHS would fit the bill. But handling it in such a cack-handed fashion that makes the company look bad would be a ridiculous own goal. Even for AMD.

We all know how bad AMD can be at making decisions for public perception or marketing things.

Or is this a case of that? so they let them through and now you have an amount of these typo IHS CPU's in the wild, people spot it, now what? how do they explain away missing that and do they recall them?

Actually they probably did the best thing anyone could in such a situation and i have no doubt they are embarrassed about it. i mean what a daft cockup.

Last edited:
Associate
We all know how bad AMD can be at making decisions for public perception or marketing things.

Or is this a case of that? so they let them through and now you have an amount of these typo IHS CPU's in the wild, people spot it, now what? how do they explain away missing that and do they recall them?

Actually they probably did the best thing anyone could in such a situation and i have no doubt they are embarrassed about it. i mean what a daft cockup.
IF labelling is the prob then I would love to be a fly on the wall when that hit the fan. Mind you, relabelling is a bit easier than a total respin (Intel). Should be ample inventory at launch.

Associate
Leaked benches from
shows the supplied 7-9700 chip with the wrong label
opps

"Also, it is revealed that the CPU was delivered with an erroneous IHS which labels the chip as the Ryzen 9 9700X whereas the true naming convention should be Ryzen 7 9700X."

Man of Honour

There's another option if it was just a labelling typo and nothing more - be honest about it. Do the delay and recall, maybe, but tell people why.

AMD missing the open goal provided by Intel's mistakes and Intel's bad handling of their mistakes is one thing.

AMD badly handling their own mistake would be a different thing.

[..] Not only did AMD throw away that open goal, they did so in a way that makes it look like they did so because there's a problem with AMD CPUs, a problem serious enough to ensure that AMD won't say anything about it at all. Exactly the same as Intel did about the problem with their CPUs. Right when problems like that are front and centre because of Intel 13th and 14th gen. The worst possible time to keep mostly silent about problems with a CPU and say that all the new CPUs have "quality issues". That might be the worst thing to say at the worst time to say it. It's certainly near the top of the list.

"We discovered an error in the labelling on the IHS of a small batch of chips. The error has nothing to do with the CPUs themselves, which are of perfect quality and perform exactly as intended. The error also has nothing to do with I/O, packaging or anything else that has any effect at all on performance or reliability in any way. It's solely a labelling error on the IHS."

would be a far better approach than

"We discovered quality issues in our CPUs and we won't tell anyone anything about them apart from the fact that there are issues with the quality of our CPUs. Unexplained issues. Issues serious enough to warrant a recall and a delay in launch."

That would be a very silly approach to take at any time, but especially so at this moment in time when serious issues with CPUs are at the forefront of attention due to the serious issues with Intels 13th and 14th gen CPU.

But maybe AMD really is that bad at making decisions for public perception and marketing. We all know that AMD is very bad at those things. But that bad? A class of 1st year GCSE business studies pupils should be able to do better than that.

But who's looking? Probably only end customers and maybe not even them in some cases. Individual customers building their own PCs, sure. Businesses making prebuilt PCs to sell, maybe not. Robots on the manufacturing line, probably not.

Last edited:
Caporegime
There's another option if it was just a labelling typo and nothing more - be honest about it. Do the delay and recall, maybe, but tell people why.

AMD missing the open goal provided by Intel's mistakes and Intel's bad handling of their mistakes is one thing.

AMD badly handling their own mistake would be a different thing.

"We discovered an error in the labelling on the IHS of a small batch of chips. The error has nothing to do with the CPUs themselves, which are of perfect quality and perform exactly as intended. The error also has nothing to do with I/O, packaging or anything else that has any effect at all on performance or reliability in any way. It's solely a labelling error on the IHS."

would be a far better approach than

"We discovered quality issues in our CPUs and we won't tell anyone anything about them apart from the fact that there are issues with the quality of our CPUs. Unexplained issues. Issues serious enough to warrant a recall and a delay in launch."

That would be a very silly approach to take at any time, but especially so at this moment in time when serious issues with CPUs are at the forefront of attention due to the serious issues with Intels 13th and 14th gen CPU.

But maybe AMD really is that bad at making decisions for public perception and marketing. We all know that AMD is very bad at those things. But that bad? A class of 1st year GCSE business studies pupils should be able to do better than that.

But who's looking? Probably only end customers and maybe not even them in some cases. Individual customers building their own PCs, sure. Businesses making prebuilt PCs to sell, maybe not. Robots on the manufacturing line, probably not.

I agree but whatever it is its going to be trivial if its only going to take a couple of weeks to 'fix' it, it might take a couple of weeks to get the printers fixed and a new batch sent out.

Whatever it is just coming clean about what it is is a trick missed, as you correctly IMO say, i agree.

Back
Top Bottom