• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 5 rumours

People still have very good options and still x3d to come, can't be expecting big uplifts all the time

People were looking for a reasonable uplift with Zen 5 though, especially those on like 5000 series who'll now more likely stick or hold out for when they can get a good deal. Doesn't help AMD was talking up big uplifts and there was a certain amount of information coming out backing that up.

People were looking for a reasonable uplift with Zen 5 though, especially those on like 5000 series who'll now more likely stick or hold out for when they can get a good deal. Doesn't help AMD was talking up big uplifts and there was a certain amount of information coming out backing that up.

Don't mind it made my mind up to stick with the 5800x3d and pleasant surprise from the windows update:)

Lets see what next gen cards will offer

Last edited:
Saw in another thread it takes over a minute to boot a 7000 series CPU, is it the same for 9000 series?

AFAIK it is a motherboard (or at least as much a motherboard thing as it is CPU) thing rather than CPU so would be the same.

As per the other threads on it you can reduce the boot times but it isn't necessarily a straight forward process.

Last edited:
It doesn't take more than a minute to boot. I have just upgraded to a 7800x3d with 32Gb of 6000mhz C30 DDR5 and while the first boot was long due to memory training, once I enabled memory context restore it now boots within 15 seconds and that's with the same motherboard albeit on the latest bios.

It doesn't take more than a minute to boot. I have just upgraded to a 7800x3d with 32Gb of 6000mhz C30 DDR5 and while the first boot was long due to memory training, once I enabled memory context restore it now boots within 15 seconds and that's with the same motherboard albeit on the latest bios.

The (training) time depends on amount of RAM, BIOS and other settings and it isn't always straight forward to resolve - sometimes you need to play around with the associated settings like DRAM Power Down or whatever it is called or set all the RAM settings manually, or even change RAM entirely on some BIOS/motherboards.

If you have like 128GB of slower spec RAM good luck.

Last edited:
I think once people moved to AM5 there is now less need to upgrade again tbh, it's either worth holding for the X3D or the next gen in 1-2 years. And also where are the games that demand we upgrade..
Also, where are the GPUs from AMD to drive higher resolutions / refresh rates in demand today, that would in turn glean improvements with a newer CPU?

This channel is starting to annoy me tbh. Nobody should really care about how well they are selling, apart from AMD. With the smug thumbnail it also whiffs of “SeE hOw RiGhT wE aRe - iT’s BaD aNd PeOplE aGrEe.”

There is no need for consumers to become emotionally invested in whether other people buy products or not.
As a consumer its always good to know if a product is selling well or not at its price point as that could indicate price cuts will soon be incoming.

As a consumer its always good to know if a product is selling well or not at its price point as that could indicate price cuts will soon be incoming.

You’d need to know a lot more than sales to make a prediction with any accuracy.

Last edited:
As per the other threads on it you can reduce the boot times but it isn't necessarily a straight forward process.
That depends on the motherboard and bios, MSI have automatic speed up turned on after initial memory training (as that's the bit that takes so long on boot) and it's just one option in bios to change it from automatic to always on - it's either automatic or a very straight forward process in that case. My pc boots up (from pressing power button till Windows start loading) in few seconds only on cold boot. All I did was switch that option to always on and after first training it just saved the data and uses it all the time. It does re-train if I change something in bios and save it but that's it.

Last edited:
All I have done is first of all updated to the latest bios then enabled EXPO 1, set memory context restore to enabled and it just works. I haven't touched anything else in the bios as I don't know what most of it does because this is a completely new platform to me and I haven't been on AMD since the socket 939 days.
TBH that's all I do nowadays as well. I have also enabled the tighter sub-timings setting. Can't recall the name of that in an additional drop-down. It's like you do EXPO, and then you can add a bit of secret sauce on the top. But like you, I leave most stuff on auto. Gone are the days of tweaking and setting each little thing - stuff just works on auto! I might disable LAN adapter, I might run the fan config (but I use windows software which overrides this anyway) and I may hard code in my curve optimser setting. But that is it. Simples.

That depends on the motherboard and bios, MSI have automatic speed up turned on after initial memory training (as that's the bit that takes so long on boot) and it's just one option in bios to change it from automatic to always on - it's either automatic or a very straight forward process in that case. My pc boots up (from pressing power button till Windows start loading) in few seconds only on cold boot. All I did was switch that option to always on and after first training it just saved the data and uses it all the time. It does re-train if I change something in bios and save it but that's it.

As I noted in one of my other posts AMD seem to have left the details up to the board manufacturers who overall haven't done a great job on it. I don't have a massive amount of experience with it but I've had quite varied results so far.

As I noted in one of my other posts AMD seem to have left the details up to the board manufacturers who overall haven't done a great job on it. I don't have a massive amount of experience with it but I've had quite varied results so far.
The mentioned automatic (default) option can be very flaky and often doesn't kick in for non apparent reason. Hence switching it to always on helps a lot here. Still, seems very straight forward to me, as most (if not all) guides I've seen online contain this as one of the essential settings to change. However, I agree it should just work without fussing.

Back
Top Bottom