• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 5 rumours

if they released the x3d chips sales would have been higher, loads of people like me waiting for x3d. coming from am4

Sure but its a good idea not to rush those, look what happened when they rushed Zen 5, they are in a better place now than they were at launch.

Everyone expects them to be very good, because they all have been, to have that expectation is a good thing for AMD because it comes from reputation, they need to keep proving they deserve that reputation, normal Zen 5 is one thing, but is X3D doesn't meet expectations on launch they will have much bigger problems.

Let them bake until they are ready.

Sure but its a good idea not to rush those, look what happened when they rushed Zen 5, they are in a better place now than they were at launch.

Everyone expects them to be very good, because they all have been, to have that expectation is a good thing for AMD because it comes from reputation, they need to keep proving they deserve that reputation, normal Zen 5 is one thing, but is X3D doesn't meet expectations on launch they will have much bigger problems.

I have a feeling AMD will release the X3D parts around or before Intels arrow lake that will launch late October early November.

I have a feeling AMD will release the X3D parts around or before Intels arrow lake that will launch late October early November.

I hope not unless its ready, AMD also need to anticipate Intel and act before them in terms of Zen 5, if they have a good idea about what the price is and its a potential problem they need to lower the price across their entire range, not wait for 2 months to see how it goes, the day before Intel launch so reviewers have that narrative for their Intel reviews.

Last edited:
No. Contrary to popular beliefs, chip manufacturing isn't 'magic' and can't just be moved up a quarter with barely a whim. These things are planned years in advance.

giphy.gif

This link should probably not go here but there is no AI thread. I noticed a few posts saying that they believe that AI is just a bubble etc. well this is Lisa's take on it

Last edited:

stand by what i said, if they wanted better sales release non and 3d chips at the same time, if that means delaying the whole launch so be it.

This time AMD wins either way. Zen4 will be phased out eventually and replaced by Zen5, like Nvidia did with 4k series. As long as people buy AMD, it doesn't matter much to them.
They have to accept smaller margins from Zen 4 though so it’s not really an ideal situation for them as I’m sure they would have preferred selling Zen 5 in large numbers at the high launch prices.

Arrow lake arrives soon too and if it turns out to be really good it could start to reverse AMDs recent dominance.

They have to accept smaller margins from Zen 4 though so it’s not really an ideal situation for them as I’m sure they would have preferred selling Zen 5 in large numbers at the high launch prices.
They need to sell Zen 4 anyway, instead of getting unsold stock returned to them. Also, Zen 5 seems to be selling well, with proper margins - as Epyc, to enterprise. Sales to retail area much less important these days, same as with GPUs.

Arrow lake arrives soon too and if it turns out to be really good it could start to reverse AMDs recent dominance.
AMD likely knows more about it than we do (industrial espionage is a thing after all).

I've got the itch to upgrade my i9-9900 but when Zen 5 was released I thought I might as well just wait to see what Arrow Lake has to offer and at this stage the AM5 platform probably as the same life left in it as Intel's next chipset. There's no real incentive to buy Zen 5 at this point.

I've got the itch to upgrade my i9-9900 but when Zen 5 was released I thought I might as well just wait to see what Arrow Lake has to offer and at this stage the AM5 platform probably as the same life left in it as Intel's next chipset. There's no real incentive to buy Zen 5 at this point.
why bother buying zen 5 right now when we all know for gaming the performance is in the 3d chips. in the meantime if intel beat them to the punch another loss for them.

A month to go till intel launch and that’s when I’ll decide, I’ve already had everything bar the cpu board and ram sitting around for months now.

They need to sell Zen 4 anyway, instead of getting unsold stock returned to them. Also, Zen 5 seems to be selling well, with proper margins - as Epyc, to enterprise. Sales to retail area much less important these days, same as with GPUs.
That's not really what AMD do though, they usually keep producing the previous gen stuff concurrent with the new gen and have a price tiering in place but its not working as expected this time because if you're going to tier the pricing then there needs to be a large enough gulf in performance to validate that.

Last edited:
why bother buying zen 5 right now when we all know for gaming the performance is in the 3d chips. in the meantime if intel beat them to the punch another loss for them.
I know Im in the minority here but not everyone games on their PC - I know, weird concept. My days of being able to sit at the PC for 6 hrs playing games are long gone, I can still game for a few hours, but on a console or my Steam Deck while wifey watches trash TV.
For my usage, Zen 5 is a very compelling buy, if I was coming from Zen 4 maybe not so much, but things are improving, I was reading that the latest BIOS has reduced the inter core latency issues that were seen at launch by about 50-60%. Im sure there are further improvements to be had as they tweak things.
If only they had tested the damn thing properly in the first place

Not content with not selling zen5 desktop, it seems AMD wants to have a crack with Zen5 mobile parts too.

OEM complains AMD has doubled the price when comparing the new Zen5 mobile chips to Zen4

This is what happens when Intel is down, Intel is the new underdog.
Time to start buying Intel PC's and complaining about AMD+++++.

Not content with not selling zen5 desktop, it seems AMD wants to have a crack with Zen5 mobile parts too.

OEM complains AMD has doubled the price when comparing the new Zen5 mobile chips to Zen4

Doesn't surprise me given how little money they make on consumer CPU's

Back
Top Bottom